What's new

A Scuttle

Hello people.

Long time no see :)

I've mostly been shaving but now I've came up with the idea to upgrade and my mind is set on a scuttle.

Do you guys have any advice on a good scuttle?

Best,
Erik

I've had several, and the best IMHO is the Dirty Bird 1.5.

But by all means check them all out from the various vendors. The Georgetown is also a good choice.

I keep reading about these wondering if I want one. I accomplish the same thing, only with a bit more trouble, by heating a kettle on the stove and putting my mixing bowl inside a larger one on the bathroom counter and then filling with simmering hot water. I prefer doing this over filling the sink all the time but I admit to doing both. The benefit of my method, at least with the two bowls I use, is that I can warm my brush and razor in the larger bowl and leave the sink to run only when I rinse by razor, rinse, and clean-up. No soap scum in the lav bowl. The other thing is that I like holding my mixing bowl while I make lather and I wonder if that wouldn't be more difficult with a scuttle.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Erik
I would purchase a Scuttle by Robert Becker (he gets 'alota' love here),!!!

His website is: http://robertsfeatsofclay.com/

Robert is a fine 'Potter' with great customer service, products, (can be custom work/requests), reasonable prices (that won't 'break the bank' either), and I'm totally satisfied with my 'Catcus Sand' Medium Scuttle w/ Lid (he did provide me with a Stopper' but, I've found that using a wine cork works much better in keeping the heat in the scuttle). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Your life is [like] a piece of clay, don't let anyone else mold it for you". Author Unknown

paperclip.png
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, so please forgive me if I'm repeating. However, I thought I'd post a few pics of what I call my Poor Man's Scuttle - in other words, my sink. It works quite well for me, so I thought I'd share. Basically, I set my shaving mug under my tap, put in my brush, and run the hot water until the mug overflows and the sink fills to half-way up the handle - that's the no-float point so it sits in the water. I let it stand with brush in for about two minutes. Then I take out the brush and empty the water from the now warm mug. Then I whip up some lather and place the mug back in the hot water and get on with my shave. It keeps the lather warm for 3-4 passes. It also make a great brush scuttle, as I like to face lather, too!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Dirty Bird 1.5 is an excellent recommentdation. Scuttles by Georgetown Pottery and Robert Becker (on eBay) are decent also.

If a dirty bird, should I go for the original ridges or should I take the web pattern?

Thanks for all the great help! This forum is among the best!

Erik
I would a Scuttle by Robert Becker (he gets 'alota' love here),!!!

Robert is a fine 'Potter' with great customer service, products, (can be custom work/requests), reasonable prices (that won't 'break the bank' either), and I'm totally satisfied with my 'Catcus Sand' Medium Scuttle w/ Lid (he did provide me with a Stopper' but, I've found that using a wine cork works much better in keeping the heat in the scuttle). :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Your life is [like] a piece of clay, don't let anyone else mold it for you". Author Unknown

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I followed Christopher's lead and got one, too. I love mine. It is reasonably priced and performs great.

I got the larger one, however.

Attachments

• $Becker scuttle.jpg
    $Becker scuttle.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 171
erik
i would a scuttle by robert becker (he gets 'alota' love here),!!!

robert is a fine 'potter' with great customer service, products, (can be custom work/requests), reasonable prices (that won't 'break the bank' either), and i'm totally satisfied with my 'catcus sand' medium scuttle w/ lid (he did provide me with a stopper' but, i've found that using a wine cork works much better in keeping the heat in the scuttle). :thumbsup:

i followed christopher's lead and got one, too. I love mine. It is reasonably priced and performs great.

I got the larger one, however.

Can't agree more. I had him make me one in a custom glaze and could not be happier with it.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Any and all the above listed are great scuttles, I have a Dirty Bird 1.5 and 2 custom made scuttles if I were to do the Dirty Bird again at least for me I'd go to the smaller one.

Tony N which Moss scuttle is this? large or small? I have a small Moss but it does not have ridges in it like yours.

It's a custom I got Sara to make for me. I requested the inner bowl dimensions to be around 3 3/4" wide by 2 1/2" deep with the lather rings. I just opened it yesterday and haven't had a chance to measure it yet.

I just received my Robert Becker scuttle from Santa today. I will try it in the morning. As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat the quality and the price.

Top Bottom