What's new

A salute to the humble Edwin Jagger DE89

I have the DE89 as a backup razor at my folk’s place when I visit (i.e. holidays, etc.)

I have a few razors in the den now to rotate (i.e. ATT, Timeless, Karve, Gillette Tech, Rockwell 6S) and I’m not saying this to brag.

With a fresh blade, I get as good a shave as with any of those premium shavers. Period.

The interesting part is by not using the DE89, I realize more where its strenghts are. I agree this is more a « medium » shaver as opposed to the milder ones out there. Blade feel is actually quite good and you can really feel how much aggression you can apply angle wise. I find this to be a plus because it’s giving you better feedback.

For what it is, I think it’s a rock solid all rounder with a fresh sharp blade in it.

I bought a DE89 / R89 head, as I have plenty of spare handles, and I just wanted to see what it was like. It's not for me I'm afraid. It's rougher than my AS-D2 around my mouth and chin, especially ATG, yet it can't get rid of the stubble under my jawline. It also seems to clog up rather easily. I suspect it's a case of Your Face May Vary, rather than YMMV, as it clearly works well for others.

I hadn't used my 89 since 2014 and shaved with it today on a whim (since my Gillette NEW long comb was feeling aggressive).

All I can say is WOW - why have I forgot about it for so long!! I can't wait until my next shave. Aces!

I have a DE89 and I have read it has a blade gap of .029”. I know blade gap isn’t everything however it’s a variable I can quantify. Interesting how that gap relates to different Gillette adjustables. 5,6 or even 7 on some models. Just thought this interesting. Adjustable Razor Blade Gaps – Gillette Adjustable Razors - https://gilletteadjustable.com/misc-2/adjustable-razor-blade-gaps/
I think the blade gap is .76mm or .029", yes. It is just about perfect.

So far, I don't have this problem with the DE89. Isn't the R89 a Muhlë? Not the same razor, I don't think. The EJ DE89, for me, simply glides. I like it so much I am trying to find a stainless that is as good. I was recommended a Game Changer 68.
I got the Gamechanger hoping it would be an '89' in stainless, it is close but for me not as smooth with either 84 or 68 plate. a good razor but not an 89 - of course YMMV

The EJ DE89 is my desert island, if I can have only one, safety razor. Smooth as possible with a Derby, easy BBS with a Feather or Personna Platinum. Just as good with a thick cushion of MWF or a thin slick Cremo or Trader Joe's cream. I have other razors I like but none gives me such a variety of shaves with different blades and creams. Only wish, make a stainless or titanium version.

I just got a DE89 (actually from BST here!) and I can see why it has a good reputation. I used it for the first time this morning and I like how it performs.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I love my Edwin Jagger DE89 razors. These two below are my favourite!!

20220224_091637.jpg

ej.jpg

I pulled my DE89 out of storage today and shaved with it. I used a Gillette 7 AM blade and got a glorious shave. A Feather would have been better and had less touch ups, but it was still really good. This razor's head bends the blade like a Gillette Tech, maybe not as much, but similarly. It shaves like a Tech, too. Very nice.

I pulled my DE89 out of storage today and shaved with it. I used a Gillette 7 AM blade and got a glorious shave. A Feather would have been better and had less touch ups, but it was still really good. This razor's head bends the blade like a Gillette Tech, maybe not as much, but similarly. It shaves like a Tech, too. Very nice.

An R89 was my first razor and daily driver for about 5 years. I'd shave with something else on weekends but four days a week, I relied on the R89 (usually stoked with a GSB). I ditched the head when the plating failed and the zamak started to pit.

For me though, it doesn't shave or feel like a Tech. It's noticeably more aggressive. I'd call it mild-ish more than mild.

As for beginner razor, I guess after 40+ years, I am a beginner.

Not so much as a beginner's razor, but a great razor for beginner's...

Here goes the YMMV factor. I would not classify the DE89/34HD as "mild" as they are not in the same category as the Gillette Tech, Feather ASD2, or Progress set on 1-1.5 all of which I consider "mild." I'd say "medium" or "medium light." I do believe that there is a large step up in efficiency when going to the DE89/34HD as compared to one of the "mild" razors.

agree this is more a « medium » shaver as opposed to the milder ones out there.

I agree with both of you.

At the least, the DE89 is a very average razor. If you were to use a 1-10 scale, then "5" would be considered average.

It's clearly not one of the "mild" razors and not by a long shot. Since it is pretty much the often copied 3-piece DE standard, how could it be anything but average?

Press a wee bit to hard and you will be rewarded with razor burn. Which indicates to me that the blade most surely does make contact with the skin on your face.

I rate the DE89 a solid "5". I consider the 34c very slightly more mannered at a "4.5".

In comparison, I consider the Parker 3-piece design and the Wilkinson Sword TTO being more agressive / efficient at a "6".

Making my R41 a rating of "8" in aggressiveness and a "9" as far as efficiency goes.

I rate the DE89 a solid "5". I consider the 34c very slightly more mannered at a "4.5".

In comparison, I consider the Parker 3-piece design and the Wilkinson Sword TTO being more agressive / efficient at a "6".

Making my R41 a rating of "8" in aggressiveness and a "9" as far as efficiency goes.
I like your scale!

I'm just curious -- what razors have you used that you would score lower than 5 and what are their ranks?

I like your scale!

I'm just curious -- what razors have you used that you would score lower than 5 and what are their ranks?

Really, none recently. Years ago (many years ago), I shaved with some adjustable razors on their lower settings and inexpensive TTO's. Also some disposables and a Mach III that I haven't shaved with for a few years. I would rate it at about a "3.5" to a "4", but that would be going from memory.

Beginning next year, I plan on beginning a "1-Week, 1-Blade" daily shaving adventure. This is slated to last initially for six months.

It will go on longer... I plan to use a newly acquired Gillette 7 O'Clock Track II type handle and Gillette 7 O'Clock two blade cartridges, both from India. I will bring out the Mach III as well.

Will purchase some other blades as the year marches on. Will repeat a week with some of the blades.

Having used these blades during the past year, that part is pretty settled.

What I hope to introduce into the mix is a few new (to me) razors. I am considering a few modern and vintage styles, including reproductions and restorations.

I plan to start each week with a DE89 or 34c, for the first shave. I plan to include 2-3 shaves with the R41. The others will be filled in with present models and new acquisitions, which will include a few mild razors.

Reactions: tm3
Top Bottom