What's new

A salute to the humble Edwin Jagger DE89

Amaizing razor, beautifully designed, produced with attention to detail. I got mine from my wife for 33rd birthday. I love shaving with it.
If EJ DE89 was not so good and beautiufll, I would never buy EJ 3One6.

The head of the DE89 might be the most knocked off head in the industry.
I confess that I am using one of those knock offs (RR MJ90a) and it is indeed my favorite razor so far compared to the few others I have tried. Each time I go back to the MJ I nod my head in agreement. What I also like about the RR version is the metallurgy with a polished stainless handle and black anodized milled aluminum head, which offers nice aesthetics.

I have the Amazon "Kelvin" version of the EJ DE89. It has the same head but with a short handle, a little less expensive, at under $30. I shaved with it yesterday.

It is really is about the same as the King C. Gillette.

As good as it shaves, I am finding that my preferences lay toward a more efficient razor. Efficient need not be expensive or overly aggressive.

I had already retired my 34c. It is wonderful to shave with but is anout a half a point less efficient than the EJ or KCG.

I have found a dual head Parker that is just a bit more efficient than the EJ.

proxy.php

I am finding that this gives me that tad bit closer shave like my Rocca R94.

Parker Safety Razor, THE CONVERTIBLE 69CR Duel Head Double Edge Safety Razor with Both Open and Closed Comb Heads Included to Customize your Shave, Includes 5 Parker Blades too. $36.99

I don't really use the OC head because I shave often enough that it just isn't necessary. When I want that extra close shave, I use the R41 head.

I don't at all like the handle on this Parker, so I use one of my other handles.

I imagine that the efficiency is about the same as some of the single headed models? Just haven't had any personal experience with any of the other models. Most of them seem to be priced at under $30.

That being said, the EJ DE89 is a nice shaving razor.

I used to really like it till I got the AS-D2. Once I learned how to use the AS-D2 I found that I couldn’t not get that kind of irritation-free shave with the DE89 and I sold it.

I remain loyal to the de89. For a long time I preferred the 34c, but once I stuck the head of the de89 on a heavier handle it transformed it for me.

Folks who criticise the de89 just ain't using it right in my opinion. Yes, we may have preferences for razors that are more aggressive, or made of different materials, or [insert variable here]; and yes, there may be other razors that are little easier to use or more tolerant of wandering angles, but if you can't get a satisfactory shave out of a de89 there's something fishy going on in my opinion.

I still think it's the best option for beginners for that very reason. It'll teach you good technique, and it will teach you about your blade preferences. Once you master it, the shaving world is your oyster.

Agreed. Your comment about using "it" right is true. The DE89 has a narrow angle of attack. You need some muscle memory to shave properly with it. It doesn't have a yawning blade gap or a lot of positive blade exposure to ensure that however much you rock that head back and forth while you shave there will still be blade contact with your skin. But master that narrow angle of attack and you will be rewarded with smooth comfortable shaves everyday without irritation.

Love the DE89. Sometimes I think of purchasing another just to have as a backup. Really wish I would have started with it instead of the Merkur 34c --really not similar razors IMO.

I find it curious that do many seem to think so?

The 34c is a fine razor and very forgiving. But, it does not provide quite as close of a shave as a '89 style razor.

I still think it's the best option for beginners for that very reason. It'll teach you good technique, and it will teach you about your blade preferences. Once you master it, the shaving world is your oyster.

But master that narrow angle of attack and you will be rewarded with smooth comfortable shaves everyday without irritation.

It does take a bit more concentration and attention to shaving technique. But, in the end, the '89 style head is a pretty much universal answer to a quality DE shaving experience. When properly mastered!

Think we would all have big pile of money if we had 1 dollar for ever 89 ever sold.🥳

There is certainly a reason why there are so many '89 style razors sold!

I’ve been invested in the Edwin Jagger Lined Chatsworth universe for decades. One silver tip brush, two razors. I just made the jump from my Fusion handle to the DE89 after the BF sale. I also use the Edwin Jagger soap in various fragrances as well. I guess I just don’t know any better to dislike the DE89.

My only point of comparison is to a Henson AL13 Mild Dr. Squatch edition (also a BF sale purchase). The difference is striking. I must have intuitively hit the “magic angle” of the DE89, because I basically just let the combined weight of the head and handle glide over my skin without additional down force. BBS with 3-4 passes.

The Henson feels like a disposable razor by comparison. More down force needs to be applied and still harder to achieve a BBS with the same blade and technique.

Attachments

• IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    729.4 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom