What's new

A Salute to Col. Schick

Although I have DE's in my rotation, I have always been a big fan of Colonel Schick's Magazine Repeating Razor. I love that thick little chunk of straight razor--it's so darn sharp, the first time I used one I thought maybe the blade wasn't loaded properly because I didn't feel a thing. Then I felt my cheek: smooooth.

In my collection, I have a Type E, I-2 (Hydro-Magic), M-1 Adjustable & J-3 "Golden 500" (and I'd love to get one of those with the stainless steel handle)

Burma Shaver's original post alludes to the Schick Magazine Repeating Razors. For those who aren't familiar with them, the original repeating razors were the "self loaders", that is, the blade magazine was contained in the razor handle. The head swiveled 90% to inject the new blade from the magazine.

It has been suggested that Col. Schick was inspired by the Remington Repeating Rifle . . . Sounds likely to me. :001_rolle

There were at least seven different versions of these "self loaders". I have what is known as a Type B1, a Type C2 and a Type C3. Starting with the Type D, the blade magazine was the separate injector cartridge similar to what we still see today.

Here is a picture of the C3. (The note on the side of the magazine packet gives an indication of the vintage of these blades.)

Regards,
Tom

Progress, my boy, progress! Col. Schick went on to the electric, but left a legacy that outlived him.

And our many beloved Gillettes would not be here if Ol' King G. had not decided to progress beyond the humble straight razor.

Top Bottom