What's new

A review: The SorringOwlandSons "Signature Deluxe" Leather Roll Up Pouch

This is the first review I've ever been asked to do and it's picture heavy. Let me preface this by saying when I contacted Frank at Sorring Owl and Sons and requested one of his "Signature" pipe pouches, he told me he'd just come out with a newer version he was calling the "Signature Deluxe", for lack of a better name. I don't believe it's even on his site yet, but he'll be tickled to make one for you. I'm not going to quote prices. Prices are listed on his site. In order to see the original Signature pouch, you'll probably need to plug the word 'signature' into the search feature on his site, as I didn't see it listed any other way.

This Deluxe pouch is bigger than the original Signature and doesn't have an integral lined tobacco pouch. The Signature's integral tobacco pouch holds 4oz of tobacco and he felt this might be too much for a normal human being. In this Signature Deluxe, you can either tuck a tin of tobacco in one of the pockets or buy his lined 'Workhorse' pouch, which I elected to do. The Workhorse will slide into any of the 3 internal pockets. If you purchase the "gift set" option as I did, the pouch will come with the pipe holder/key fob combo and a 6"x8" leather mat to load your pipe on, so the tobacco won't get scattered. The pipe cleaner holder and the Workhorse tobacco pouch I purchased in addition to the gift set.

This roll-up uses one strap instead of two, which the original Signature had. The strap is wider and a little thicker than the straps used on the original.

This Deluxe pouch is designed to hold up to 3 pipes, one in each of the 3 pockets. I've found with the larger pipes, i.e. a Tinsky size 5 or 6, you'll be better off just toting 1 or 2 pipes. The pipes used in the pictures below are a Tinsky squat bulldog and one of his size 5 pipes.

IMG_0359.jpg
IMG_0360.jpg
IMG_0358.jpg

Here's the Workhorse lined tobacco pouch. I'm not sure what the lining in this pouch is made of. While it sticks to itself, tobacco doesn't cling to it, so it's easy to change out the tobacco, without either getting frustrated or making a mess of it. The lining overlaps into the fold area and by doing so, it affords a better seal for the tobacco inside. Not air tight, but better than most I've seen.
IMG_0362.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0368.jpg

Here's his pipe holder/key fob combo.
IMG_0370.jpg

The pipe cleaner holder.
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg

To be continued:

The 6"x8" mat
IMG_0366.jpg

Everything together
IMG_0367.jpg

This is the plaid cloth lined pocket.
IMG_0385.jpg

These are the pipes I'll be rolling up.
IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg

I'm putting the squat bulldog into the outer unlined pocket.
IMG_0372.jpg

The Workhorse lined tobacco pouch will go into the center pocket. Both the outer and center unlined pockets are accessible by popping the brass snap. The center leather flap overlaps the outer pocket, to keep things from falling out accidentally.
IMG_0373.jpg

Here I've got the cleaner sleeve and imCorona pipemaster lighter in a pocket on the lined section. The size 5 and squat Tinsky pipes are in the outside pockets, the plaid cloth line pocket and outer unlined pocket, with the Workhorse tucked into the center. The tobacco mat is lying in the center and the pouch is ready to roll.
IMG_0375.jpg

To be continued:

Last edited:
Rolling it all up
IMG_0376.jpg
IMG_0377.jpg
IMG_0378.jpg
IMG_0379.jpg

Strapped down
IMG_0380.jpg

Nice and secure
IMG_0381.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg

Lead time on mine was 11 days. Frank is extremely easy to work with. It was mailed to me on a Thursday, Kalifornia to south of Houston, and I rec'd it on Saturday.

If anyone is in the market for a leather roll up pouch and you've considered going with Sorring Owl and Sons, I hope this review helps you make your decision. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 11

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks for doing this man! I looked at their site but couldn’t tell how everything went together.

BTW the grain on your pipes..omigherd!!

Thanks for doing this man! I looked at their site but couldn’t tell how everything went together.

BTW the grain on your pipes..omigherd!!
Kent, look at his store on etsy. It's easier to discern what's what there. The larger pouch like I got is $25 more than his standard Signature pouch. If you buy the gift set, it comes with the pipe stand/FOB and a 6"x8" leather mat, for a little more moolah. The pipe cleaner holder is another $15 and the Workhorse tobacco pouch is $35. So on etsy, take the price of his standard "Signature" pouch gift set, add $25 for the upgrade to the larger Signature Deluxe, add another $50 for the pipe cleaner holder and the Workhorse pouch, and you'll get the total for the Deluxe.

I told him I was going to show the folks at the BL, so if you mention that's where you're coming from, maybe he'll start cutting us some slack. Maybe not, but it won't hurt to try.

Thanks for the kudos on the pipes. The one closer to the camera is the gold star Mark made for me and the squat bulldog is a 4 star. His work is flawless. I don't see me buying pipes anywhere else, but hanging around the BL, anything could happen.

I have one of Frank's original signature pouches that I purchased 5 years ago and I have a major problem with his work. I can't get it to worn out. It just gets better with age. Frank makes some top notch leather goods. If mine ever gives in I'll definitely buy another one.

I have one of Frank's original signature pouches that I purchased 5 years ago and I have a major problem with his work. I can't get it to worn out. It just gets better with age. Frank makes some top notch leather goods. If mine ever gives in I'll definitely buy another one.
:lol: Yeah, it looks like it should stand the test of time. The leather he uses is soft already but last night I applied some Montana Pitch Blend oil to mine and it's even softer now. I'm looking forward to this lasting for many years.

Excellent review! Thanks for doing it! :thumbsup:
You’re most welcome!
Sure you didn't...:a2:
:lol:
Or sell shaving gear. You don't need that stuff anymore.

Actually going to put something rare out there soon, but not for BL purchases sadly
I’ve actually thought about doing this. Not for long, but I’ve thought of it. I use 3 razors regularly. The rest stay in either their original box or in racks.

Nice pictures. Thank you for this.

I am not in the market, but it's always nice to window shop. The leather on these looks beautiful.
You are welcome! Happy to do it. I’m with you on the window shopping. I do a lot of that before I’m ready to buy. And yes, the leather Frank uses is very nice.

I’ve applied Montana Pitch Blend oil to these pieces, since these pictures were taken. It’s a mink oil and pine pitch blend. The oil softens any open grain leather and the pine pitch is an antifungal/antimicrobial. It has darkened the leather a little and muted the rustication, evening out the look. The mink oil has made the leather even softer and richer in appearance.

Top Bottom