What's new

A review of the Savile Row SR212 with pics.

rtaylor61 said:
Mahesh,

I believe that Ron prefers soaps to creams. I would like to hear his opinion of this.

Randy
Thanks Randy. Greetings Mahesh,
I've been reading through the musings that come down to, "Are my brushes rough and tough enough to scrub up hard soap?" Really this question begs the point. The real question should be, "Am I experienced enough to recognize that I may have to hit the hard soap with some hot water before I begin to load my brush?" That isn't meant to be condescending either. Since I've had the opportunity to use pure, best, and super badger brushes it merely becomes the issue of adapting technique to the tools and consumables. Lately I've been on an orgy of Taylor's cologne scented creams to see how the other half live, but I am a dyed-in-the-wool hard soap kinda' guy. I also soak my brushes in very hot water before hitting the soap. Even with the most velvety soft member of my Al Blaireau Brigade, I get the best a man can get (cough, cough, hack) in terms of lather on Trumpers, Taylors, Truefitt and Hill, Kent, Crabtree and Evellyn, QED, Woods of WIndsor, Williams, L'Occitane, Roger et Gallet, Pre de Provence, Pere et Fils, Provence Sante, etc, etc...
It's alll an issue of how you go about the task.
I routinely use a Vulfix Old Original #41, Kent BK-12, and Shavemac SMF Special, occasionally use an Ed Jagger for Crabtree and Evelyn Best Badger, and on travel an Ed Jagger for Crabtree and Evelyn Pure Badger. I use them on hot pour, cold pour, triple milled, etc. I manage to get good lather with all of them by varying my technique.
Hope that helps. YMMV.
:smile:
Forgot to mention Caswell and Massey, Floris, Lightfoots... Just to live long enough to use up all o the soaps I've squirreled away I'll have to out do Methuselah.. :blushing:
Edit added:
Mahesh,
Please read this answer to Hal's first question.

I agree with Ron. I can get dynamite lather from hard soaps with my soft SR212 super-badger brush. I think it is really the water doing the work, not the bristles as much, so you should be able to use any brush you like.

Ron, Scotto:
Thanks and good to know, as i prefer not to use stiffer bristles as my skin is sensitive to the lathering with said brushes. I'm a relative novice at this hence have been more of a "cream man" for the added protection; however, i am begining to enjoy the soaps more as time goes by.
Regards,
Mahesh

Mindflux said:
Very nice.

I tried some Trumpers Coconut Oil Cream tonight that I was given by another member. Very nice, but does anyone else think it smells a little medicinal?

I agree. I tried a sample and it gave me a superior shave....but I wasn't fond of the smell. Thus, I will not be buying it. However, I have really enjoyed the Trumpers Violet sample and will be calling Charles for some on my next SCAD outbreak. I have yet to find an English Cream (3 T's) that gives me a subpar shave. They are all great...so long as your prep and technique are good. Scent becomes the deciding factor.

Been using the same Trumper 3 "chubby" super badger since 1987.

It seems to get better by the year. I've got a second Trumper on order for use in the shower.

If well taken care of they seem to last forever:001_tt1:

Top Bottom