What's new

A Review Of The Rockwell Model T

do you think the Model T is a carbon copy of the 6S or does it have a different personality in some ways? I currently use the 6c with R3 plate and shave every other day. I would like some sort of R3.5 plate, slightly deeper but equally delicate. Could I achieve this with the Model T adjustment? What are the components of the Model T in zamak?

do you think the Model T is a carbon copy of the 6S or does it have a different personality in some ways? I currently use the 6c with R3 plate and shave every other day. I would like some sort of R3.5 plate, slightly deeper but equally delicate. Could I achieve this with the Model T adjustment? What are the components of the Model T in zamak?

Good question!

I found the model T to be roughly 1 level more efficient than 6S/C.

So a 3 on the T would be a 4 on the 6S/C.

Plus it's an infinity adjuster so you can set it to whatever you like between 1 and 6.

I believe it's made out of brass, SS and zamac components.

Maybe it's mine, but I think the Model T is several steps above the 6C in terms of aggression. 1 or 2 on the T would equal about 4 or 5 on my 6C.

So it's about a $23 razor ?

from China labor rates correct
Yes, ala Weishi and Vikings Blade.

Rockwell overpromised and realized too late that they could not deliver stainless at the promised price-point, and sooo...

Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, etc., have been producing MIM parts for 1911s for almost 30 years now. It is certainly possible to do for safety razors, in stainless, brass, or copper.

Not trying to crash the thread, but there is no comparison between the MT and the Rex, or even the Pearl Flexi. I would note that the Flexi delivers an incredible shave, is solid brass, and ~$50USD less than the MT...and its CNCd.

Yes, ala Weishi and Vikings Blade.

Rockwell overpromised and realized too late that they could not deliver stainless at the promised price-point, and sooo...

Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, etc., have been producing MIM parts for 1911s for almost 30 years now. It is certainly possible to do for safety razors, in stainless, brass, or copper.

Not trying to crash the thread, but there is no comparison between the MT and the Rex, or even the Pearl Flexi. I would note that the Flexi delivers an incredible shave, is solid brass, and ~$50USD less than the MT...and its CNCd.

Link to Flexi , need to research this beast

I do want to clarify, the Model T was never promised as an all stainless. I think there's a Mandella effect or something because there is no literature from the Rockwell folks promising that, but somehow there are a lot of people who remember it that way. It is mostly brass with a couple zinc alloy components.

Reactions: nav
I do want to clarify, the Model T was never promised as an all stainless. I think there's a Mandella effect or something because there is no literature from the Rockwell folks promising that, but somehow there are a lot of people who remember it that way. It is mostly brass with a couple zinc alloy components.

No it's trash and the kickstarter money claimed a stainless steel adjustable and you got a Chinese zamak $23 product.

So sorry for your trouble.

Link to Flexi , need to research this beast

Right at $100 shipped from India. You get the razor, a decent synthetic brush, a couple or three soap samplers and (IIRC) 200 "Willy's" Blades, which I understand to be India-produced Wilkinson Swords. (Yes, the "drag a Willy across your face" jokes abound)

A pretty blatant copy of the Rex, although you can argue that there are only so many ways to redux a Gibbs. It's a hefty monster, right around 113g/4 oz., if I recall. Shaves are very, very good. I like the Rex more because its more maneuverable/lighter, but the Flexi is definitely worth having.

I recall the Kickstarter campaign initially stating all brass or all stainless, don't remember exactly which, but it was one of the two. Regardless, you cannot honestly achieve a $150 razor with zamak. Period. Granted, the market may support the hype, but the product itself does not. After almost 40 years, Merkur still charges $75+ for the Futur, and those molds were paid for ages ago, which is why I will support the $14 Chinese knock-off- its fair market value.

I recall the Kickstarter campaign initially stating all brass or all stainless, don't remember exactly which, but it was one of the two. Regardless, you cannot honestly achieve a $150 razor with zamak. Period. Granted, the market may support the hype, but the product itself does not. After almost 40 years, Merkur still charges $75+ for the Futur, and those molds were paid for ages ago, which is why I will support the $14 Chinese knock-off- its fair market value.
It was offered as an all brass initially, which was the point I got involved. They sent out a trial balloon for an all stainless, but decided early on they couldn't do that. Then they fell short on the all brass. Then they fell two years short on the delivery date. Thankfully the super early bird price was the same as a new Futur.

I don't get involved in the whole China made thing.
All I'll say is the Model T is a very smooth shaver and slightly more efficient than the 6S.

For an adjustable, I was pleasantly surprised at the very low level of blade chatter.

The quality and finish was perfect! I'm not too worried about zamac etc as I've got a Progress from many years ago that still looks new!

Rex Ambassador Is a beutiful razor but i think that it's more aggressive than 6C-6S. I would like an R3 level of smoothness with a bit more "power". Rex Ambassador Is too much, and i believe also Rex Envoy.
The REX is definitely more aggressive than the 6C if you're comparing # to #. I shave at 1.5 or below on the REX while I use a 3 plate on the 6C. The REX gives me a better shave, but the 6C is super simple to shave with.

20210325_102229.jpg
Today i did the first test with Model T Gunmetal.
The razor is perfect in each detail and all the moving parts work without problems. The gunmetal finish is perfect and well made. I'm a lover of the 6C R3 plate and for this reason i started my usual 3 pass shave setting 3.5 on Model T. I used a Gillette Wilkinson Saloon pack made in India at the third use. The shaving was smoother than R3 and also deeper, the razor itself Is well balanced. This was the First contact but i can see a little spark who will ignite the love's Fire.

20210327_130022.jpg

Test numeber two
This morning i decided to use the Model T with this setting:
-4.0 WTG
-3.5 for XTG and AT
I used it with a Gillette Wilkinson Saloon Pack at the 4th use, Omega Evo and Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia Beta 4.3.
One of my most beutiful shaving since I Discovered this world three years ago.
Gentile, smooth and deep.
The AS, Pino Silvestre Black Musk ( an italian classic) didn't bite...
Only three words :a wonderful razor.

Top Bottom