What's new

A review of the Filarmonica Doble Temple 13

The vintage hunt is a tricky business, although fun. I often seek a second opinion from forum members here, just before I push the button on a purchase.

You know, when a deal seems too good to be true...

Hmmm ... so this is a first generation. Makes me feel better about getting it. One of the decorations at the pin is broken, but I can live with that, especially if it is a first gen.

Compare the tang stamp of the side with the 13 on it,
from your razor, to the other razors pictured in this thread.

Those others are all second generation.

A link to "the wrl post" has already been posted,
but I'll post it again.
Whatever inaccuracies it may contain,
there doesn't seem to be anything better.
And if you're interested in Filarmonica razors,
then I recommend being familiar with it.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I felt like I should post my question here rather than making a new one. I came across this Fili, which from I can tell seems in a very good shape and it looks it haven't been used that much, but since I don't much about straight razors in general, let alone brands and different models, i've decided to ask the pros here. It looks almost like the one OP posted, but with white scales instead of black.
filli.png

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I felt like I should post my question here rather than making a new one. I came across this Fili, which from I can tell seems in a very good shape and it looks it haven't been used that much, but since I don't much about straight razors in general, let alone brands and different models, i've decided to ask the pros here. It looks almost like the one OP posted, but with white scales instead of black.View attachment 1344244

What you said it looks like, is what it is.

What you said it looks like, is what it is.

Any idea how old that razor is or is it rare/special compared to most other Filies? I'm just trying to get the basics and decide for myself whatever I should buy it or not, since people seems to like the brand and I happened to found one in the wild.

Any idea how old that razor is or is it rare/special compared to most other Filies? I'm just trying to get the basics and decide for myself whatever I should buy it or not, since people seems to like the brand and I happened to found one in the wild.

The picture doesn't show anything remarkable.

But, I do shave with a Fili and I do like it.

If it's in good shape and
if you're comfortable with the price and
if you can get sharp,
then I think you should shave with it.

A second generation doble temple 13 in good shape,
is a good enough of a razor
so that if you had other cheaper razors to practice honing on first,
then that's what I would do,
if you're not already very good at it.

I finally had my NOS #13 honed by Alfredo a while back and it provides an excellent shave. I also had that "beater" filarmonica cleaned and honed by Karl Johnson and that one shaves very well too. I have picked up two more and have finally satisfied my urge for the #13. I'm thinking of selling an NOS un-honed #13 Doble Tempe, but find it hard to part with.

I have two Fili 13's and to be honest I really love shaving with them, but if you consider their performance objectively, they are not exceptional shavers. I would put them in the same league as some of my Solingen blades.

Fili 14's are a different matter, and again I have to distinguish between the standard Doble Temple and the Sub Cero. In my limited experience the Sub Cero shaves better. Effortless perfection in my book.

I don't own an EPB, or a first generation, yet, but it will be nice to compare.

I have two Fili 13's and to be honest I really love shaving with them, but if you consider their performance objectively, they are not exceptional shavers. I would put them in the same league as some of my Solingen blades.

Fili 14's are a different matter, and again I have to distinguish between the standard Doble Temple and the Sub Cero. In my limited experience the Sub Cero shaves better. Effortless perfection in my book.

I don't own an EPB, or a first generation, yet, but it will be nice to compare.
I think with most vintage straight razors it all comes down to the style, brand name and different steel preference rather than which one is better or the best. Like you said, i'm pretty sure that almost all of the quality made Solingen blades (especially the most famous brands) are going to shave just as good as the Filis will.

Like a good friend of mine told me a while ago when I was hooked to straight razors - it's just a razor, there's no magic involved here.

I think with most vintage straight razors it all comes down to the style, brand name and different steel preference rather than which one is better or the best. Like you said, i'm pretty sure that almost all of the quality made Solingen blades (especially the most famous brands) are going to shave just as good as the Filis will.

Like a good friend of mine told me a while ago when I was hooked to straight razors - it's just a razor, there's no magic involved here.
Oh there is definitely magic in a Fili 14! :c9:

Top Bottom