What's new

A review of Hugo and not the Boss

Now I know what you Gents are thinking. What on earth does this woman have to say about cologne? You're probably right, I certainly don't wear it, though I have been guilty of spraying it on a sweatshirt in my day, but here is where my expertise may lie.....I have to smell you! After you spritz, slap, dab, squirt, spray, or "de-louse" in the stuff you almost immediately become immune to the smell so you don't know if you smell like this:
$image.jpg

Or like this:
$doc-rivers-gatorade-shower-gatorade.gif

There are many colognes that promise staying power, and for the price they are charging frankly they should last a week, but sadly after a few hours your manly fragrance has "left the building". So you hunt and search for the rare treasure of Sierra Madre, while your cabinet slowly fills up with the fallen soldiers of rejects. You slowly give up hope, and your search ends in failure.....until today.

May I introduce you to Hugo cologne by Hugo.
$image.jpg

First off, it comes in the COOLEST bottle, a clear glass canteen of awesomeness with what appears to be an army (hurrah!) grade canvas strap holding the screw top cover on. Ain't nothing lacy or womanly about this, no sir. This is a man's man bottle! When you open it you'll find an easy use spritzer, so the product need not touch your hands. A squirt behind each ear, and RELEASE THE KRACKEN!
The cologne has a light citrus aroma with a spicy undertone, it's honestly hard to explain and needs to be experienced. It is not one that punches you in the face but makes its presence known subtly throughout the day. This is the cologne men can be wearing, will walk by and I will notice for a GOOD reason. It's amazing!!!!! It also has staying power. My fiancé can apply before he leaves for work and will still smell like first application when he comes home, though I must say the scent gets even better when worn over time. For the price, a little over 20 dollars, for 2.5 ozs it's a great bargain!! I highly recommend giving this cologne a try!

Last edited:
Excellent write up.

If the BST offer I put in falls through, I know where I'll be re-allocating those funds. lol

Wait, what do you mean the release of Boss? It's been out for like 12 years now...
They have released about four different versions of it and there was a big push for it again last year. I worked there during Christmas.....unfortunately I remember. Hugo and Hugo Boss are like night and day smell wise

Last edited:
This is the one I have, although it's only about 10% full now...
$index.jpg

Gift from a girl I was dating that lived in the UK at the time, she bought it over there and brought it to me. lol

Guys...this cologne is awesome. Light and citrus with a nice finishing spicy note. I've always looked for longer lasting aftershaves as opposed to colognes, because in the past I've been stuck in an elevator with two salesmen, and truly, if I had a gun with only one bullet....I would have shot myself.

So at times I've tried to explore beyond my Billy Idol era Drakkar....at a reasonable price....and the best I had found before this was Caron Pour Du Homme. This cologne leaves them in the dust. I know other people could more eloquently describe the top notes, base note and post it notes in this bottle....but as a guy in love with a discerning woman....you need this.

Guys...this cologne is awesome. Light and citrus with a nice finishing spicy note. I've always looked for longer lasting aftershaves as opposed to colognes, because in the past I've been stuck in an elevator with two salesmen, and truly, if I had a gun with only one bullet....I would have shot myself.

So at times I've tried to explore beyond my Billy Idol era Drakkar....at a reasonable price....and the best I had found before this was Caron Pour Du Homme. This cologne leaves them in the dust. I know other people could more eloquently describe the top notes, base note and post it notes in this bottle....but as a guy in love with a discerning woman....you need this.

ADDENDUM:
as a testament to strength and lasting power....tyrionstark put on Hugo last night as a test (before accidentally moisturizing with icy/hot which I assure you is both a post for another time and its own argument for being a minimalist) and it lasted clear through strong as ever until this morning

rofl.. I still have a decent amount of Drakkar on the shelf as well from a bottle I bought... well.. not recently in any use of the word.

rofl.. I still have a decent amount of Drakkar on the shelf as well from a bottle I bought... well.. not recently in any use of the word.
Drakkar...*shiver* that needs to go back in the closet with the acid wash jeans, Ziggy Stardust 8 tracks, and wearing sunglasses at night :thumbup1:

Drakkar...*shiver* that needs to go back in the closet with the acid wash jeans, Ziggy Stardust 8 tracks, and wearing sunglasses at night :thumbup1:

Please note... I didn't say I still use it... I just can't bring myself to actually toss it... it's one of those things... still has many uses left in it, I won't use it, probably no one else will want it, but... it's still usable.. what to do?? lol

Please note... I didn't say I still use it... I just can't bring myself to actually toss it... it's one of those things... still has many uses left in it, I won't use it, probably no one else will want it, but... it's still usable.. what to do?? lol

The great Drakkar pif of 1984/2014 ? :)

lol To be fair to it, it's not a bad scent. I'd definitely call it a colder weather night time use only one, and used sparingly...
HWSNBN (He Who Should Not Be Named ie the Ex) wore it like it was his only shower of the month.......soooo yeah

Top Bottom