What's new

A Return to the Stars

Blame it on Betelgeuse. I used to love winter specifically for star gazing. Winter might be cold, but there's no mosquitoes, and the sky looks so crystal clear. After quickly locating Orion, I looked for the dog stars, but they weren't above the trees yet. Castor and Pollux were, and Auriga was easy to spot. So was Taurus. To the north the Big Dipper wasn't above the trees, and scattered clouds have prevented me from seeing the Little Dipper. Cassiopeia was clearly visible, along with Perseus. I've always had difficulty locating Andromeda, and now it was practically overhead, making the task harder. Pegasus was another easy find. But I think what rekindled interest the most was Cygnus. I remember the first time I saw it, the asterism leaping into focus like one of those stereograms. Fortunately, the sky was clear in that area, and the constellation was as striking as I remembered. Haven't looked for Cygnus in years.

Was surprised I still recognized that many constellations. Was disappointed that I couldn't see all seven of the Pleiades with the naked eye. Nor could I pick up a faint glimmer of the Orion nebula, or glow of the Andromeda galaxy, not even with averted vision. I could blame it on the waxing moon, but the culprit is likely aging eyes. Binoculars let me see the Orion nebula; not so the Andromeda galaxy. Holding binoculars nearly straight up gave too much motion in the vision field, and I wasn't about to lay down on the cold ground. Oddly, didn't think about the truck bed until later.

I want to get back into this. I've never known the constellations as well as I wished. Still have the old planisphere, which has seen better days and thinking of a new one. In general, I've always had difficulty with star charts. OTOH, I now have proper red filters for flashlights, and don't have to improvise with red plastic cups and red cellophane.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A great read! Astronomy is the oldest hobby and the first "primetime" entertainment. Rewarding in many ways, all you need is eyes... And time. Binoculars and a field guide or planisphere helps. Lots of websites to tell you what's up on a particular night.

Pleaides ... M45, my favorite. You won't see seven sisters. It's six or many more. In my 20x80 Oberwerk binocs, it is literally spacewalking to take in that view of dozens of stars. I could look just at the Pleaides all night.

Orion nebula is visible in very dark skies, but disappoints those expecting the Hubble Telescope view. It's small and black and white, but there. Look for star clusters instead. Starmaps are online and free for every month.

Nobody needs a telescope to be a serious amateur astronomer ... Only the desire to see the universe that gave birth to us with your own eyes, with nothing in between you and the infinite.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Blame it on Betelgeuse. I used to love winter specifically for star gazing. Winter might be cold, but there's no mosquitoes, and the sky looks so crystal clear. After quickly locating Orion, I looked for the dog stars, but they weren't above the trees yet. Castor and Pollux were, and Auriga was easy to spot. So was Taurus. To the north the Big Dipper wasn't above the trees, and scattered clouds have prevented me from seeing the Little Dipper. Cassiopeia was clearly visible, along with Perseus. I've always had difficulty locating Andromeda, and now it was practically overhead, making the task harder. Pegasus was another easy find. But I think what rekindled interest the most was Cygnus. I remember the first time I saw it, the asterism leaping into focus like one of those stereograms. Fortunately, the sky was clear in that area, and the constellation was as striking as I remembered. Haven't looked for Cygnus in years.

Was surprised I still recognized that many constellations. Was disappointed that I couldn't see all seven of the Pleiades with the naked eye. Nor could I pick up a faint glimmer of the Orion nebula, or glow of the Andromeda galaxy, not even with averted vision. I could blame it on the waxing moon, but the culprit is likely aging eyes. Binoculars let me see the Orion nebula; not so the Andromeda galaxy. Holding binoculars nearly straight up gave too much motion in the vision field, and I wasn't about to lay down on the cold ground. Oddly, didn't think about the truck bed until later.

I want to get back into this. I've never known the constellations as well as I wished. Still have the old planisphere, which has seen better days and thinking of a new one. In general, I've always had difficulty with star charts. OTOH, I now have proper red filters for flashlights, and don't have to improvise with red plastic cups and red cellophane.

Oh, meant to say: get a monopod for those binoculars and use it while seated or reclining on your patio lounge chair ... Binocs get heavy after a while and get shaky.

AA

Life-long amateur astronomer here!
Ah the winter sky!!! Cold (VERY cold in Michigan), crisp, clear nights and the best Messier (and other) "faint fuzzy" targets imaginable!

Happy 2020 perihelion to all!

Nobody needs a telescope to be a serious amateur astronomer ... Only the desire to see the universe that gave birth to us with your own eyes, with nothing in between you and the infinite.

+1 Learning the sky with the naked eye is a great roadmap to other sights.

Top Bottom