What's new

A reminder of why I love DE shaving over cartridge razors

I've been shaving with DE razors for 6-7 years now, the last few years with my 1959 Fat Boy and just recently by adding a 1957 Red Tip. I use a rotation of TOBS, T&H, and AOS creams. However, due to travel needs, I will on occasion switch to a Mach III cartridge razor and Edge Gel in a can, mostly so I don't have to check my bag.

I had to do the Mach III/Edge thing this past weekend, using a new Mach III. Jeez, did it ever remind me of why I like my DE shaving experience! It felt like shaving with broken glass. While I got a reasonably close shave with two passes, my face was killing me when I was done. I can't believe this is how I used to shave every day.

This morning, I was back to my FB and regular creams. Got a BBS shave with absolutely zero irritation. How do guys use that other stuff?

Great observations! This is why I am sticking with ‘traditional shaving’ for the duration!!

I hear that!

About 6 weeks ago, I got caught out (I work in London during the week and travel back to the Midlands on weekends) and on the weekend when it came to having a shave, I realised I had some how managed to run out of DE blades that I carry in my travel bag.

I had a old Gillette Fusion at the back of the bathroom cabinet with fresh blades (only because it had a set of unused blades is why its been sat at the back of the cabinet for 5 years) so reluctantly used that. Even for 2 days of growth, it was seriously uncomfortable. It pulled and tugged relentlessly, got clogged instantly and needed rinsing relentlessly. I had to repeat the strokes approximately 6-7 times in the same area to get the equivalent of 1 pass with a decent DE razor. I also noticed that it takes no skill to use a cartridge razor, just shove it into your skin and let it pull/tug. It was an exhausting and annoying experience in comparison.

I now keep a spare 100 pack of blades at both my work home and weekend home locations and do not need to worry about having any shaving kit at either. I keep 1/2 the razors at each address.

.......... How do guys use that other stuff?

**** knows but, I admit I started out with cartridge stuff. When my grandfather passed away, he gave me a DE razor, in a box, presumably from his army days. Since then, I've always been intrigued until I took the plunge one day and bought a DE89 to try out... never looked back since.

Some time ago, I tried a Dollar Shave Club cart... once, and only once. It was a terrible experience. The shave was close enough, but it took days for my face to recover from the irritation.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A few months ago, I stumbled across a couple of new GII cartridges and thought, "what the heck". I grabbed the razor for it, lathered up, and took one swipe. Ouch! Nasty! I tried another part swipe, and thought "This must be a duff cartridge. I don't remember cartridges being this bad"

I dumped the cartridge out, loaded the other, and took another swipe. Just the one. I uttered a few colourful phrases, and dumped the cartridges and handle straight in the bin.

Truly awful.

My first razor was a Norelco electric. I was on a business trip in the UK and it died half way through a shave. Had to run out to buy what I could find. Got a can of goo and single blade disposable. Used carts for several years. I had been collecting vintage DEs for years but had never tried one. Finally got fed up one day and tried a Gillette Old Type. I was amazed and hooked. That was about 10 years ago. Life has been much better since then.

Top Bottom