What's new

A rehash of one of my rarest finds: A pre-release Executive Fatboy.

@Jorvaljr I would still like to see all the parts you removed so we can tell if this one had limited function. Also waiting on pics of the razor re-assembled. Pics on the way?

Still trying to nail down the history of these pre-release samples and every little bit of info helps since Gillette won't give out any info on their process.

Last edited:
@Jorvaljr I would still like to see all the parts you removed so we can tell if this one had limited function. Also waiting on pics of the razor re-assembled. Pics on the way?

Still trying to nail down the history of these pre-release samples and every little bit of info helps since Gillette won't give out any info on their process.
Sorry about that. I still have it disassembled and have primarily trying to clean the adjustment knob area. It wont budge, but here are some photos
94FB1DFA-F015-42A0-9C0C-7D04FAA8B42B.jpeg
F2DE2E3E-AD10-4E72-BE67-2060BCAF87B8.jpeg
AC1050DB-C499-4E49-B91D-D715383D6EA9.jpeg
CB5A8965-26CE-4FC7-A749-4BA06E3604ED.jpeg

Im starting to think it wasnt meant to adjust
I've never disassembled one so those with more expertise will have to answer a couple questions: Are all the parts there as in a regular production unit? Looks like the adjustment ring is welded/pressed on? I don't see a gap.

I agree with you that it may be an earlier non-functioning evaluation unit. Would be nice if more could be located and posted here. The number "1" would be an awesome find.

Do the doors open manually or are they fixed in the closed postion?

Is that dot to the right of # 1 a nick, or a pin-head? If it's a pin-head, that's why your adjustment dial won't turn. They did this on their test-models. You'll have to look inside the handle tube to see if it is blind-hole pinned (I suspect it may be). If not, you can punch it through and it will work. If it is, I would lock it in a leather-jawed vise, and use a drill press to clear out the pin.

I'm assuming you aren't an uber-collector, wanting to keep a razor that shaves on 1. If you are, it is a very cool intact piece of history. Personally, I would own a cool piece of history with a through-hole. :biggrin:
Gillette (2).jpeg
Is

I've never disassembled one so those with more expertise will have to answer a couple questions: Are all the parts there as in a regular production unit? Looks like the adjustment ring is welded/pressed on? I don't see a gap.

I agree with you that it may be an earlier non-functioning evaluation unit. Would be nice if more could be located and posted here. The number "1" would be an awesome find.

Do the doors open manually or are they fixed in the closed postion?
Doors open and close fine.

Is that dot to the right of # 1 a nick, or a pin-head? If it's a pin-head, that's why your adjustment dial won't turn. They did this on their test-models. You'll have to look inside the handle tube to see if it is blind-hole pinned (I suspect it may be). If not, you can punch it through and it will work. If it is, I would lock it in a leather-jawed vise, and use a drill press to clear out the pin.

I'm assuming you aren't an uber-collector, wanting to keep a razor that shaves on 1. If you are, it is a very cool intact piece of history. Personally, I would own a cool piece of history with a through-hole. :biggrin:
View attachment 1536970Is
Im not sure, ill take another look what that is

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I posted this a couple years ago but was going through my collection and thought perhaps newer members might like to have a look. No logo, patent or trademark stamps. Only a tiny hand engraved number 228 that I almost missed. I believe it was part of Gillette's in-house review of proposed new products. Perhaps Gillette signed them out to marketing employees to examine and test prior to the initial public product offering. Employees were probably required to turn them back in to be destroyed but someone kept this one.

View attachment 1105177View attachment 1105179
View attachment 1105180

A truly specatular, and truly beautiful Fatboy Executive razor. I'd love to have one of those, but they sell for big bucks, can't really afford one. But I did get a 1959 E-3 Gillette 195 fatboy regardless however, here's a picture of mine. It may not be as lovely as yours, but it serves its purpose for me! These razors shave really well, I just love mine! 😍

proxy.php
proxy.php

Thanks for sharing ! 😍

Im not sure, ill take another look what that is
If there is a pin to freeze the adjustment ring I would leave it for the sake of keeping the find original. Was the razor on position 1 when you first disassembled it? Your first pic shows it at 7. If the doors open I don't understand why the knob was frozen. Looks like all the parts and it should turn to open the doors.

If there is a pin to freeze the adjustment ring I would leave it for the sake of keeping the find original. Was the razor on position 1 when you first disassembled it? Your first pic shows it at 7. If the doors open I don't understand why the knob was frozen. Looks like all the parts and it should turn to open the doors.
They would drill (probably blind-hole) through the dial into the shaft to lock it. If it went all the way through, or was a cross-shaft pin, yes, it would lock the razor up completely.

When said knob i meant the adjustment dial. Sorry for the confusion. I believe it was at 7 as in the photo

They would drill (probably blind-hole) through the dial into the shaft to lock it. If it went all the way through, or was a cross-shaft pin, yes, it would lock the razor up completely.
That sounds reasonable but if that is the case wouldn't disassembly have been prevented by the pin? There would also be a corresponding hole through the shaft and tube?

Just food for thought: If the doors were functional I wonder why someone used pliers on the knob?

Just thought of the answer: It was probably frozen with a blade inserted like the test examples on page one. Someone used pliers to free it. Glue maybe? Could be some residue evident.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update. I tried everything to get the dial unfrozen but i was not able to. Secondly, lol i couldnt get the damn thing back together properly. So i sent it out for repair and plating. Looks good as new and Back Roads Gold was able to repair and save the scribed number.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Chris at Backroads did mention that he thinks the doors are thicker and that the razor performs better than the razor they eventually made.

Just wanted to update. I tried everything to get the dial unfrozen but i was not able to. Secondly, lol i couldnt get the damn thing back together properly. So i sent it out for repair and plating. Looks good as new and Back Roads Gold was able to repair and save the scribed number. View attachment 1573647
View attachment 1573648
Chris at Backroads did mention that he thinks the doors are thicker and that the razor performs better than the razor they eventually made.
That is a superb restoration job. Very nice that Chris was able to preserve the hand engraved number. Btw did Chris get the dial unfrozen?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Just wanted to update. I tried everything to get the dial unfrozen but i was not able to. Secondly, lol i couldnt get the damn thing back together properly. So i sent it out for repair and plating. Looks good as new and Back Roads Gold was able to repair and save the scribed number. View attachment 1573647
View attachment 1573648

I agree with others, Chris at Back Roads Gold, clearly knows what he's doing, and IMHO, he's done an truly amazing job here. He's re-plating and restoring technique, really sets the bar, especially when he can maintain details like that. This is why I have no question in my mind, that I will be choosing him, to restore and re-plate my Gillette RED tip SuperSpeed. And now you can play that razor at the front of your desk, and really get to feel like an executive.

When people walk into your office and see that razor, they will know to leave the attitude at the door. They will also know, if they want to be admitted into your office the next time, they better bring a stick of Arko with them for the admission fee. Alright, thanks for sharing such beauty with us all, that gold Fatboy is a breathtaking piece that dare I say, the holy grail of Gillette razors! 😍

Top Bottom