What's new

A reassurance post.

Greetings all.

I know you lot have been missing me very much but rest assured you are never far from my thoughts. The works are still ongoing.

Anyway I had a really nice cut throat shave at my local barbers. The shave is superb! A million times better than the electric razor I am forced to use for now.

Please don’t ever think I’ll forget you lot. I won’t. You lot mean a lot to me.

Jason.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you very much for the update.

Great to read your barber shave went well. Do you ever see a barber razor like a Sedef or Feather SR giving your Merkur 39C Sledgehammer a run for its reputation?

Can’t wait to read when your renovation is completed and you’re back to enjoying the majesty of GFT shaving creams and razors that don’t threaten your hearing whilst committing bodily harm.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Greetings all.

I know you lot have been missing me very much but rest assured you are never far from my thoughts. The works are still ongoing.

Anyway I had a really nice cut throat shave at my local barbers. The shave is superb! A million times better than the electric razor I am forced to use for now.

Jason.
You do know........ we expect a nice set of photos... no photos and it didn't happen. <eg>

Edit: of your new bathroom, etc... not your next barbershop shave. ;)

Why would you not use your kitchen sink to shave like a lot of folks around the world have to do because of large family............?
All of my shaving equipment is boxed up until the works are finished. Can always get a pack of cheap twin blade disposables and a can of shaving cream in the meantime though...

Jason.

Thank you very much for the update.

Great to read your barber shave went well. Do you ever see a barber razor like a Sedef or Feather SR giving your Merkur 39C Sledgehammer a run for its reputation?
The cut-throat razor the barber used was the shavette type. Compared to my Sledgehammer I would say the results are almost equal. Couldn't see or feel any real difference. I think the barber was using Derby blades. (How I sorely miss using Nacet blades... I really do... Its breaking my heart thinking about it...)

Jason.

thombrogan

If a shavette loaded with a Derby Professional can shave as good as the 39C with a Nacet, it makes me wonder if a shavette with a Nacet or Permasharp would be an over-the-moon experience. With half a Feather blade and my hands, it wasn’t.

If a shavette loaded with a Derby Professional can shave as good as the 39C with a Nacet, it makes me wonder if a shavette with a Nacet or Permasharp would be an over-the-moon experience. With half a Feather blade and my hands, it wasn’t.
I use Perma Sharps in my shavette as they are one of the few half blades made. In fact, you have done me a service by reminding me that I need to stockpile them! As for the shave, the word magical gets overused. But a shavette is not a joyful tool to use and putting in a Perma Sharp really transforms it. Considering that's what they were made for, one and done at a Turkish barbershop.

Now as for shavettes being used by a barber instead of a real straight, I have always wondered how effective they are when not self shaving. Meaning, is the barber able to manipulate things well enough that the person being shaved wouldn't know the difference? I can't image so as the DE blades flex when they hit my beard!

Plenty still available. 300/$20

Last edited:

thombrogan

I’ve seen a bunch of Barber Turko vids on the YouTube and I believe the same barber using a Turkish style barber razor to great effect on his customers was the same d00d mauling his face during his own shave.

The Turkish-marked Permasharp half blade boxes haven’t really jumped in price in the USA (dunno where you are nor if @JasonJT will follow down this rabbit hole that’s dangerously close to the straight razor warren), so I hope they’re still plentiful elsewhere in the world. If not, lots of folks with factories in Egypt, India, Pakistan, and Turkey want our money, too.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Greetings all.

Jason.

Awww Jason, that is very kind of you! I am still new to this shaving hobby myself, but in the short time that I've been on B&B, I've been finding my way to shaving enlightenment. The advice I have received here, is nothing short of stellar. We have very knowledgeable folks here, who for some, have spent an entire lifetime, developing experience and opinions on products.

I would assume, that any good barber, should be able to produce a better quality shave, then most of us. This is because they go to school to learn how to professionally cut hair, and shave people. If a barber can't shave someone properly with a straight razor, then there is something wrong lol. Having said that however, when you apply the methods and products taught here, you can pretty much achieve that barber type shave, with practice.

But if anyone thinks their gonna get a professional barbers straight razor BBS shave, using a cartridge razor, will find themselves oh so wrong, oh so quickly HAHA. Yes sir! And you better not forget us, cause were awesome enablers over here, we will enable you to your hearts content HEHE! I have fallen in love with DE shaving myself, I won't ever go back to a cartridge razor. Additionally, I don't want to go back to an electric shaver either.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Why would you not use your kitchen sink to shave like a lot of folks around the world have to do because of large family............?

In the kitchen I'm shaving my whiskers, hairs going down the drain, until one evening, they brought me dishes to wash, I just used my shaving soap! Going WTG and ATG, what an amazing shave. I'm clean, dishes clean, everything squeaky clean. My face is totally BBS, and this post was total BS. :p

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Woah, woah there is a Tan Limit around here. Too much Tannage could lead to a black hole forming!

Thats what happens when you use the wrong shaving soap with the wrong razor, you cause a parabolic destabilization of the quantum singularity, thereby causing a black hole, that you get caught in the event horizon. Talk about falling down the proverbial rabbit hole! OOPS! :eek2:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
You're lucky, my local barber gave up giving shavette shaves due to the pandemic and has no plans to return to doing them

Top Bottom