What's new

A REASONABLE skin care regimen…

Aside from shaving (which I’ve read has beneficial exfoliating properties), what would you gents consider a REASONABLE daily skin care regimen? 🤔

I highlighted the term “reasonable” as I’ve seen the EXTREMES on both ends, and they’re not pretty. 😲

I saw a YouTube clip featuring a notable “influencer” proudly promoting a regimen including TEN items… all to be used at ONCE. 😳

Then, you have the other extreme where some guys just use a bar of Ivory soap (or whatever their S.O. has laying around) and cold water. 😱

From my limited research, I believe the general consensus for a reasonable regimen should include just the following THREE items -

1. Cleanser
2. Toner
3. Moisturizer/sunscreen

(The “MATURE” amongst us may also want to incorporate a serum and an eye cream, as well).

THREE items, maybe four (if you use a separate moisturizer and sunscreen).

I think that’s it.

What say you gents? 🤔

Also, what BRANDS do you recommend for each category?

Thanks for sharing, gents! 😎💈

I believe that you should use a dedicated cleanser for your face. I don't get acne anywhere else, so my face gets different treatment than the rest of my skin. I've never used a toner, and to be honest I don't know what they do. And moisturizer is used as needed, I don't want my skin oily or dry, just balanced in the middle.

I've used Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser as my only face wash for years. I have no idea how it compares to anything else, but it does a good job and I don't feel the need to gamble on an unknown item.

I don't use moisturizer often, but surprisingly I've found Jergens Ultra Healing to work well. As a teenager, I tried all the expensive ones, and Neutragena worked the best when I was more acne prone, but as I matured I've found Jergens to work well enough.

That's all I use, but I certainly won't claim to have great skin. As long as I'm not breaking out (I had lots of acne issues until around age 30) I'm happy.

I use the following in this order:
  1. CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  2. Shower with Mitchell’s Wool Fat Bath Soap
  3. Aveno daily face scrub
  4. Shave with Proraso White Preshave and Mitchell’s Wool Fat
  5. Hyaluronic Acid on damp skin followed immediately by
  6. First Aid Moisturizer
  7. Then before I go out I apply either CeraVe AM 30 SPF, or UltaMd 50 SPF. it depends on how long I’m going to be out as to which sunscreen I use. Also, the SPF50 makes me look pale, so I try not to use it in a social setting or at work in an office.

All told, counting the shave soap, I use seven products.

I use the following in this order:
  1. CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  2. Shower with Mitchell’s Wool Fat Bath Soap
  3. Aveno daily face scrub
  4. Shave with Proraso White Preshave and Mitchell’s Wool Fat
  5. Hyaluronic Acid on damp skin followed immediately by
  6. First Aid Moisturizer
  7. Then before I go out I apply either CeraVe AM 30 SPF, or UltaMd 50 SPF. it depends on how long I’m going to be out as to which sunscreen I use. Also, the SPF50 makes me look pale, so I try not to use it in a social setting or at work in an office.

All told, counting the shave soap, I use seven products.
Do you use ALL these at ONCE, or scattered throughout the day?

Wouldn’t using the cleanser AND the scrub be OVERKILL? 🤔

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I wash my face in the shower. I have a fancy face scrub with exotic ingredients but it’s another step I don’t take that frequently. I shave and use alum and aftershave splash.

I use a dedicated face wash (Olay Cleanse) and a witch hazel product at night, either Thayer's or Lucky Tiger. In the morning, on days I shave, I use a witch hazel product and an ASB (Nivea or Duke Cannon). From time to time I use Cerave moisturizer. That's about it.

Do you use ALL these at ONCE, or scattered throughout the day?

Wouldn’t using the cleanser AND the scrub be OVERKILL? 🤔
I use them all at the same time. Overkill? Maybe. But I figure the cleaner gets the moisturizer, sun screen and dirt from the day before and the scrub gets all the dry skin.

I misspelled the brand on the scrub. It’s actually Aveeno.

If you see any of my shave of the days, I have quite a complicated skin care regime (and that doesn't include eye serum/cream). It works for me but it won't work for everyone.

But if you want to keep it simple.

1. Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
2. Stirling Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel tonner
3. The Ordinary Buffet Serum (anything from The Ordinary provides great bang for buck when it comes to skin care)
4. An SPF moisturiser (I use Jack Black Double Duty Moisturiser) during the day and a plain moisturiser at night (because its dark so you don't need spf 😂)

99% of the time just a washcloth, no soap, just warm water.

And I look maaahvelous baby.

Same for me. Seems to work the best for keeping my acne from breaking out.
Tried a few types of astringent, and they seemed to make me break out often.
I moisturize in the morning with either Hawkins & Brimble lotion, or Captain’s aftershave balm.

If you see any of my shave of the days, I have quite a complicated skin care regime (and that doesn't include eye serum/cream). It works for me but it won't work for everyone.

But if you want to keep it simple.

1. Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
2. Stirling Tea Tree Oil Witch Hazel tonner
3. The Ordinary Buffet Serum (anything from The Ordinary provides great bang for buck when it comes to skin care)
4. An SPF moisturiser (I use Jack Black Double Duty Moisturiser) during the day and a plain moisturiser at night (because its dark so you don't need spf 😂)
Lovin’ your regimen, “Abz88!” 👍🏼

Stirling makes some GREAT witch hazel toners, and, agreed, “The Ordinary” features products at reasonable price points for skin care products.

WOMEN have known for years (and men are slowly coming along) that the cosmetics/skin care industry features some of the biggest UNJUSTIFIED markups of any commodity on the market right now.

That’s why it’s important to educate oneself on QUALITY products that provide good VALUE as well. 😉

Lovin’ your regimen, “Abz88!” 👍🏼

Stirling makes some GREAT witch hazel toners, and, agreed, “The Ordinary” features products at reasonable price points for skin care products.

WOMEN have known for years (and men are slowly coming along) that the cosmetics/skin care industry features some of the biggest UNJUSTIFIED markups of any commodity on the market right now.

That’s why it’s important to educate oneself on QUALITY products that provide good VALUE as well. 😉

That's what I would consider a good simple/reasonable regime to start with but I personally use some other products (Alum and aftershave balm and some other Ordinary/Hylamide products (different brands of the same company) to target specific issues with my own skin.

I used to use more expensive stuff (Kiehls, Clinique etc) but the more I started to research products and look at ingredients the more I realised companies like The Ordinary/Hylamide and Stirling had products that had less additives/filler ingredients and had smaller marketing and packaging budgets to try and recover!

In the past I used all kinds of crap on my face. And I had constant skin problems, acne, redness, outbreaks. Then a friend said he just used a warm water splash and he had good clear skin. So I switched and I haven't looked back. Keep it simple. My post shave routine is equally simple. Warm water splash. Lucky Tiger AS splash and then a moisturizer ASB. And now I am beautiful.

In the past I used all kinds of crap on my face. And I had constant skin problems, acne, redness, outbreaks. Then a friend said he just used a warm water splash and he had good clear skin. So I switched and I haven't looked back. Keep it simple. My post shave routine is equally simple. Warm water splash. Lucky Tiger AS splash and then a moisturizer ASB. And now I am beautiful.
My dude, if it were THAT simple, skin care wouldn’t be the multi BILLION dollar industry it is now. 🙄

Trust me. 🧼😎

My current routine

-Jack black face buff pre shave used with a soniclear petite
-Shave
-Vanicream vaniclear facial cleansor used with soniclear petite
-Dickersons pore perfect toner
-Neutrogena 2% benzoyl peroxide if I'm having breakouts
>Vanicream spf suncreen if it's daytime or burts bees night cream

One of the single biggest changes I made was to cut out as many products with fragrances, dyes, parabens, and perservatives. If you're someone who is struggling with acme and feel like nothing works, it's probably because you just can't use those products. Cut out shaving creams, lotions, soaps, shampoos, etc, with fragrances, dyes, that are comedogenic.

I've been told by several dermatologists that eye cream is a major industry scam and any regular facial lotion or retinol serum will work the same. Most companies just repackage their retinol and lotion in smaller containers and sell it for two or three times the price.

Cleanser - alternating some Kiehl’s face cleansers and Oil Cleanse method (Homemade blend)
Serum - usually Vitamin C in the morning, Retinol/Retinoid most evenings, Hyaluronic acid morning and evening, mostly The Ordinary products
Mosturizer - homemade blend of Aloe Vera juice, glycerine, rose water, and oil (e.g. jojoba, Argan, raspberry seed,…)
Sunscreen - not as often as I should, lately using The Ordinary Mineral SPF 15.

I normally shower with Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap. Until recently I was using it on my face, as well; but then I came across a video of a dermatologist who gave a list of top 5 things you should never put on your face -- and bar soap was one of those 5. So, I have now stopped using the MWF bath soap on my face, and now I just use a face scrub from L'Oreal. I like to shower with cold water because it's really good for your skin and it leaves it nice and smooth. After the shower I begin shaving (also with cold water); then I will splash some Lucky Tiger AS & Face Tonic, followed by some Nivea moisturising cream.

Top Bottom