What's new

A Razor Can Be the Difference

Recently, I tried Voskhod blades in a test with other blades. I used a UK Aristocrat razor with a number of different blades including the Voskhod. With that razor and a Mergress I could only get up to three smooth shaves with those two razors.

I went on a trip and brought along a Karve razor. I had been using that razor with a Voskhod while at home and used that blade for three shaves. I kept the same blade in the razor on the trip and got a total of 7 shaves with that combo. I decided to put in another Voskhod blade in the Karve. Another 7 shaves.

The lesson I learned: try a blade in a different razor. It may make a difference.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The lesson I learned: try a blade in a different razor. It may make a difference.
There is something about combinations of razor to blade, not sure of the science but There are times everything just clicks into place and you get very excellent results IMO.

I totally agree. In my case, it's more in terms of blade preference rather than longevity (I'm still trying many different blades and usually toss mine before losing performance mostly because I get bored and want to try the next blade. :D).

My two main razors are the 34c and the rockwell 6c, and I find that there are some blades that I like in one razor, but don't care for much in the other.

I like more blades in the 6c and many blades I like in both, but I have found some blades that seem to work well for me in the 34c, but not so much in the 6c.

If they don't work in either, then I rule the blade out as a blade that just doesn't work for me.

For example, I didn't really like GSB and Nacet with I first tried them in my 34c and thought they were just weren't for me, but when I tried them again in my 6c and found they were both great. The opposite was the perma-sharp. It worked great for me in my 34c but didn't feel that good in the 6c.

The lesson I learned: try a blade in a different razor. It may make a difference.[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree. After trying many combinations of razors and blades,
I've settled into a nice comfortable rotation. Happy Thanksgiving Gents !

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    11.3 MB · Views: 9
There are just so many variables.... Blade performance is impacted greatly by razor choice, soap/cream choice, pre-shave routine, time between shaves, etc....

I'll add that I fully agree with the OP in specific instances, even though we can still draw some generalities about a given blade.

And to add a data-point coincident with the OP: While it's only been one shave, I've been pleasantly surprised with a Vokshod in my RR SLOC. It was extremely smooth and nick & scrape free, but in the end after two passes and some slight buffing, it gave me a very good and close shave.

I thought about starting a new thread but decided I’d just ask it here.

What do you guys look for in a blade? Im pretty sure thats a silly question but I don’t see much difference between them to determine a preference. Maybe my shaving palate isn’t sensitive enough. I can feel the super sharpness of a Feather. So far I’ve tried Feather, Astra SP, Derby (platinum/extra), GSB, Gillette Platinum, Personna lab Blue, Shark.

And I hope all you guys had a great Thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys look for in a blade? Im pretty sure thats a silly question but I don’t see much difference between them to determine a preference. Maybe my shaving palate isn’t sensitive enough. I can feel the super sharpness of a Feather. So far I’ve tried Feather, Astra SP, Derby (platinum/extra), GSB, Gillette Platinum, Personna lab Blue, Shark.

Your question is just fine. Quite honestly, I find many blades to be similar. However, there are some blades that seem to last longer while still giving me a smooth shave. For me, smoothness means how the blade feels on my skin. Some blades such as the Voskhod feel as though I don't have a blade in the razor. To me, that is the test for a smooth blade: a blade that glides across my face without feeling any tugging.

For me, I use the Personna Medical Prep and Labs as my standard. In most razors, I can get from 10 to 12 close and smooth shaves with these blades. When I try a new blade I see how it performs against these standards. My test is how many close, smooth shaves do I get from the blade before tossing. This is a very subjective, personal test. For example, the Astra SP has a lot of love on B&B. However, for me, I can only get two or three shaves from this blade before it deteriorates - and those shaves are not as smooth as other blades give me.

However, I have found that some blades may be just OK in some razors these same blades excel in other razors. Two examples will illustrate what I mean. Feather blades are close and smooth in my razors for the first shave but rapidly deteriorate after the first shave. The result is that I toss them after two shaves. However, in a Feather AS-D2 razor, which is a mild razor, these blades last up to 11 shaves. I had the same experience with the Voskhod blades which gave me only two excellent shaves with a UK Aristocrat and Mergress razors. However, when put in a Karve razor the excellent shaves increased substantially.

Some folks are of the opinion that blades are cheap and just toss them after two or three shaves. Then there are some like me who like the challenge and try to find the best blade that will last a long time. One of the nice things about traditional shaving is that there is room enough for everyone. One thing I tell new shavers is to judge for yourself. Find what works for you. Just because I think Astra SPs don't perform for me that does not mean they won't work for you. Similarly, Personna Labs and Med Preps work for me but may not be right for you.

Your question is just fine. Quite honestly, I find many blades to be similar. However, there are some blades that seem to last longer while still giving me a smooth shave. For me, smoothness means how the blade feels on my skin. Some blades such as the Voskhod feel as though I don't have a blade in the razor. To me, that is the test for a smooth blade: a blade that glides across my face without feeling any tugging.

For me, I use the Personna Medical Prep and Labs as my standard. In most razors, I can get from 10 to 12 close and smooth shaves with these blades. When I try a new blade I see how it performs against these standards. My test is how many close, smooth shaves do I get from the blade before tossing. This is a very subjective, personal test. For example, the Astra SP has a lot of love on B&B. However, for me, I can only get two or three shaves from this blade before it deteriorates - and those shaves are not as smooth as other blades give me.

However, I have found that some blades may be just OK in some razors these same blades excel in other razors. Two examples will illustrate what I mean. Feather blades are close and smooth in my razors for the first shave but rapidly deteriorate after the first shave. The result is that I toss them after two shaves. However, in a Feather AS-D2 razor, which is a mild razor, these blades last up to 11 shaves. I had the same experience with the Voskhod blades which gave me only two excellent shaves with a UK Aristocrat and Mergress razors. However, when put in a Karve razor the excellent shaves increased substantially.

Some folks are of the opinion that blades are cheap and just toss them after two or three shaves. Then there are some like me who like the challenge and try to find the best blade that will last a long time. One of the nice things about traditional shaving is that there is room enough for everyone. One thing I tell new shavers is to judge for yourself. Find what works for you. Just because I think Astra SPs don't perform for me that does not mean they won't work for you. Similarly, Personna Labs and Med Preps work for me but may not be right for you.

Thanks for the feedback Ackvil. That makes a lot of sense. I’ve been paying more attention to the blade itself and not the razor/blade combination.

My JESUS, I just realized that the possibilities will be endless....
Suddenly the name “Aimless Wanderer” makes so much sense to me now HA.

First and foremost I look for sharpness, followed closely by smoothness. I then look for consistency in blade-to-blade variation, along with consistency from shave-to-shave with a single blade. Some rank longevity highly, but I do not.

I generally do not figure costs into the equation, because all blades are relatively cheap. Though I do have some reticence to bulk purchase KAI, but that is not only a function of price; if I liked them more, I wouldn't care.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Comfort:
This is a combination of both sharpness, to minimise tugging at the hair root, and smoothness, so it doesn't feel like I'm using a hacksaw blade.

Reliability:
I want this blade to feel like the last blade, and the one before that. I don't want to be playing a lottery every time I open a new pack of the same blades.

Cost efficiency:
I don't care how much a blade costs, I want a penny a shave or better. If a blade works out at ten pence, I want at least ten shaves from it. If it cost twenty pence, I want twenty shaves. If a blade costs six pence and only gives three shaves, I don't care how cheap it was, I got ripped off.

Comfort:
This is a combination of both sharpness, to minimise tugging at the hair root, and smoothness, so it doesn't feel like I'm using a hacksaw blade.

Reliability:
I want this blade to feel like the last blade, and the one before that. I don't want to be playing a lottery every time I open a new pack of the same blades.

Cost efficiency:
I don't care how much a blade costs, I want a penny a shave or better. If a blade works out at ten pence, I want at least ten shaves from it. If it cost twenty pence, I want twenty shaves. If a blade costs six pence and only gives three shaves, I don't care how cheap it was, I got ripped off.

Great advice Aimless!

I tend to agree with the first two points that Aimless made - comfort & consistency. Am not so concerned about cost because I normally replace blades after using them for a week (7 shaves).

Top Bottom