What's new

A rare 'Yardley Shaving Stick In The Glass Case'.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here for your interest is a rare Yardley shaving stick I have just obtained, I would appreciate any knowledge or opinion of this you may have.

The stick is in a box labelled 'The Stick In The Glass Case' and when opened it contains a tube which indeed appears to be glass with a silver coloured screw lid. The soap inside has an antiseptic smell and the remains of silver foil. It appears unused. There are some leaflets inside containing advertising and instructions as shown. The style of the packaging and leaflet wording suggest pre WWI to me but I could be very wrong. I think it is safe to say that I will never use this soap unless I am very much mistaken about its rarity.

Does anyone know any more about this? Thank you, Richard

20221014_115932.jpg

20221014_115954.jpg

20221014_120016.jpg

20221014_120043.jpg

20221014_120104.jpg

20221014_120141.jpg

20221014_120205.jpg

20221014_120231.jpg
20221014_120256.jpg

20221014_120320.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is a beautiful thing. I love the instructions that they included with the shave stick. Congratulations on the acquisition.

Here for your interest is a rare Yardley shaving stick I have just obtained, I would appreciate any knowledge or opinion of this you may have.

The stick is in a box labelled 'The Stick In The Glass Case' and when opened it contains a tube which indeed appears to be glass with a silver coloured screw lid. The soap inside has an antiseptic smell and the remains of silver foil. It appears unused. There are some leaflets inside containing advertising and instructions as shown. The style of the packaging and leaflet wording suggest pre WWI to me but I could be very wrong. I think it is safe to say that I will never use this soap unless I am very much mistaken about its rarity.

Does anyone know any more about this? Thank you, Richard

View attachment 1539000
View attachment 1539001
View attachment 1539002
View attachment 1539003
View attachment 1539004
View attachment 1539005
View attachment 1539006

View attachment 1539007View attachment 1539008
View attachment 1539009
Amazing find, congratulations!

Have a look at the Yardley retrospective via the attached link. When you scroll down it lists the Yardley Shaving Sticks as a new product introduced in 1908 so pre-WWI is a possibility. At the bottom it has a list of source material that may shed additional light on this collectable. Post #5 in the 10 year old B&B thread on the topic further confirms this with a link to a relevant Pharmaceutical Journal artical for 1908-10-31.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

Amazing find, congratulations!

Have a look at the Yardley retrospective via the attached link. When you scroll down it lists the Yardley Shaving Sticks as a new product introduced in 1908 so pre-WWI is a possibility. At the bottom it has a list of source material that may shed additional light on this collectable. Post #5 in the 10 year old B&B thread on the topic further confirms this with a link to a relevant Pharmaceutical Journal artical for 1908-10-31.

Very interesting, thank you. I have been investigating and the enclosed 'dental cream' leaflet states 'By appointment to H.R.H. The Prince Of Wales' and has a date of 1921 at the top - can't believe I missed that. Yardley were granted their first ever Royal warrant in 1921 to Edward, Prince of Wales, so assuming that page is original to the packaging then 1921 seems a reasonable guess. Certainly my oldest soap. I wonder if I can clean the cap and the glass in some way, I will give it some thought.

Interesting, and neat, find.
Can I ask where something like this was found?

Rare or not, I personally would be hesitant in using it.

EclipseRedRing

Interesting, and neat, find.
Can I ask where something like this was found?

Rare or not, I personally would be hesitant in using it.
I get all my purchases from EBay UK, I have saved searches which notify me of new items. If I like an item I contact the seller and ask if they would accept an offer, unless the listing states offers are not welcome. The vendors rarely have a history of selling shaving products so I never ask them to suggest a price, instead I offer a fair price and never try to low ball them. I get no pleasure in taking advantage of those who are ignorant of the value of their goods, and I have very low regard for those who do. I could not and would not purchase a sealed Yardley soap for $5, or a double ring for $20, instead I inform the seller of the value of their item and make a fair offer. Sometimes it backfires and they raise the price even further in which case I walk away with a clear conscience. If the item is an auction and offers are not welcome then I bid my upper limit and forget about it; I have no interest in last minute bidding 👍

EclipseRedRing

By an amazing coincidence I have located what appears to be an original Yardley shipping container which would have held three unboxed shaving sticks in their glass cases.

20221118_154556.jpg

20221118_154617.jpg
20221118_154647.jpg

Top Bottom