What's new

A rare or unusual DE? Please share here.

Great thread - I will have to get out my unusual razor tomorrow or the next day ... It's from the 19 teens and has two serial numbers ....

Hi,

Or Unusual without being all that Rare. Say, any variant of a Fasan Double Slant for example.

Stan

Like this????

$IMG_5090.JPG

$IMG_5091.JPG

$IMG_5092.JPG

Hi,

Not so rare, given all the German makers who used the same head. But, unusual these days in that it has a different level of aggression for each side. Ye Olde Solingen Slant:

Aggressive side:

$Solingen_Aggressive.jpg

Mild Side:

$Solingen_Mild.jpg

Stan

Hi,

Also, there were some Fasan Double Slants with a Red Dot on one side, which indicated which side was more aggressive than the other. Also, these Fasans were more aggressive overall than the more ususal slants out of Solingen:

Aggressive side

$Fasan_1_Aggressive_side.jpg

Mild side

$Fasan_1_Mild_side.jpg

Stan

Edit: That is, of course, a gold wash Fat Tech Handle on there. Not the original Fasan one.

$Fasan_1_2.jpg

Hi,

So, that brings up there was a rarer version with a metal top cap. I found it unbalanced, so I use a replated NEW bar handle loaded with number 8 lead shot:

$Fasan_2_Bar.jpg

Stan

Oh and this is one that no body as been able to tell me what it is... So besides it being either a "lady's razor" or a "travel razor" what is it?

I all know is that it is French. I bought it on eBay France (Paris seller who did not know what it was either)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I seen one similar on ebay a while back and they were selling it as a ladys razor. Not sure if that is truly what it is but thats what the seller claimed.

That sir is STUNNING! Did you replate it?

Yes, sir! I did replate it for another member - and it was a CHORE!

That type of Fasan defines the term "mystery pot metal". It had a lot of pitting prior to coming to me (as can clearly be seen in the photos), but we will just call those "character marks" from a well-enjoyed past! This metal will NOT accept plating as is. The metal will simply react with the plating solution - and creates a mess. This one had to be carefully plated with ALKALINE copper to seal the pot metal - prior to the "real" plating taking place. It then received a bright nickel finish as a foundation - then the final finish of 24 karat gold for the base plate and black chrome for the rest of the razor.

This process is too expensive and too much work, so I do not offer pot metal services as a general rule...but at least this shows that it can be done!

Thanks for your interest!

This is The only one I have seen out in public since at time of purchase. I got this one about 1 1/2 years ago or so. Seen them in gold but Never Seen one Chromium, Don't Confuse this one with the Big Boy, or Big Fellow, Its the Big Boy Hybrid, Handle is Shorter and top base of shaft has not Smooth Band, The Knurling on Hybrid Runs all the way up the shaft.

Attachments

• $IMAG0411[1].jpg
    $IMAG0411[1].jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 184
  • $IMAG0414[1].jpg
    $IMAG0414[1].jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 185
  • $IMAG0413[1].jpg
    $IMAG0413[1].jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 183
  • $IMAG0415[1].jpg
    $IMAG0415[1].jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 182
  • $IMAG0416[1].jpg
    $IMAG0416[1].jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 182
Here is, no doubt, my rarest razor. Never seen another one.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/143871-Your-rarest-razor?p=5848227#post5848227

[FONT=&amp]So for this thread, it's the "unusual"? OK. Well, hands down, the weirdest razor I own is the Krect Spiral Curve.
$IMG_4269.jpg$IMG_4271.jpg$IMG_4272.jpg
A three piece design, patent circa 1935, it was designed by one Chester A. Gratiot and manufactured by the Krect Razor Company of Portland, Oregon. As the name implies, it is a slant type design, but it is the blade changing mechanism that makes this thing unique. You really have to see it (or better, operate it) to get the full picture. The best description I can offer is this: the latch mechanism for the head is released by pushing a spring loaded button in the base of the handle; the head assembly then pivots from the horizontal to the vertical, disengaging the latch, which allows the head assembly to slide horizontally out of the slot in the top of the handle. The bottom plate and top cap then come apart for blade loading in the conventional manner of a three piece. Got that? Definitely a bit Rube Goldberg-ish, but if nothing else, you’ve got to give Mr. Gratiot credit for a fertile imagination. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Although mine works flawlessly, the overall build quality of this unit is pretty mediocre, as the parts are cast alloy (aka pot metal) and the tolerances are a bit sloppy. If I used it a lot, I’d be a little suspicious about long term durability as there are a lot of moving parts. Shave quality though is pretty darned good. Some slant designs are too aggressive for my taste, but this razor is on the gentler side of the slant spectrum, perhaps due in part to the fact that the blade twist that defines a slant is less pronounced here than on most. It’s not mild mind you, but it does trend more toward the middle of the range than most slants I’ve tried. A pretty good shaver, but mostly I just like the slightly wacky design and appearance of this one. You can definitely impress your friends with this thing; that is, in the unlikely event you should ever come across one.[/FONT]

Last edited:
This is The only one I have seen out in public since at time of purchase. I got this one about 1 1/2 years ago or so. Seen them in gold but Never Seen one Chromium, Don't Confuse this one with the Big Boy, or Big Fellow, Its the Big Boy Hybrid, Handle is Shorter and top base of shaft has not Smooth Band, The Knurling on Hybrid Runs all the way up the shaft.

wow! That beauty is new for me. Congratulations! :thumbup1:

sorry but you are not alone :p here is my one. i've also the shipper which says "Big Boy Chromium Plated"

Last edited:
Awesome Razor, Love how it folds. So how does it shave?

Here is, no doubt, my rarest razor. Never seen another one.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/143871-Your-rarest-razor?p=5848227#post5848227

[FONT=&amp]So for this thread, it's the "unusual"? OK. Well, hands down, the weirdest razor I own is the Krect Spiral Curve.
View attachment 538130View attachment 538132View attachment 538133
A three piece design, patent circa 1935, it was designed by one Chester A. Gratiot and manufactured by the Krect Razor Company of Portland, Oregon. As the name implies, it is a slant type design, but it is the blade changing mechanism that makes this thing unique. You really have to see it (or better, operate it) to get the full picture. The best description I can offer is this: the latch mechanism for the head is released by pushing a spring loaded button in the base of the handle; the head assembly then pivots from the horizontal to the vertical, disengaging the latch, which allows the head assembly to slide horizontally out of the slot in the top of the handle. The bottom plate and top cap then come apart for blade loading in the conventional manner of a three piece. Got that? Definitely a bit Rube Goldberg-ish, but if nothing else, you’ve got to give Mr. Gratiot credit for a fertile imagination. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Although mine works flawlessly, the overall build quality of this unit is pretty mediocre, as the parts are cast alloy (aka pot metal) and the tolerances are a bit sloppy. If I used it a lot, I’d be a little suspicious about long term durability as there are a lot of moving parts. Shave quality though is pretty darned good. Some slant designs are too aggressive for my taste, but this razor is on the gentler side of the slant spectrum, perhaps due in part to the fact that the blade twist that defines a slant is less pronounced here than on most. It’s not mild mind you, but it does trend more toward the middle of the range than most slants I’ve tried. A pretty good shaver, but mostly I just like the slightly wacky design and appearance of this one. You can definitely impress your friends with this thing; that is, in the unlikely event you should ever come across one.[/FONT]

Top Bottom