What's new

A question regarding sequence of balm/cream/skin care products and aftershave?

Which do you apply first?

• Balm/cream/skin care products followed by aftershave?

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Aftershave followed by balm/cream/skin care products?

Votes: 38 79.2%

• Total voters
Curiosity on my part. For those of you who use a balm, cream or other skin care products and an aftershave. Do you apply the skin care products first, followed by the aftershave? Or do you splash on the aftershave and follow with the skin care products?
I use balms almost exclusively. The balms I use are aftershave products. No splash goes after balm and I have never mixed them.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Oh my gosh, I am really on a role, when I cast my vote, and I am once again, voting with the majority. :thumbup: WOOHOO!!! :thumbup:

So here's the thing guys, I like to use aftershave splashes. But, in the winter time, I like to enjoy aftershave balms, cause the air is so dry. Or, if I give my poor face some nicks and or weepers, then I like to use balms to cool and heal the skin. The great thing about aftershave splashes, is they have witch hazel in them.

But, for some reason, the powers that be, decreed, that aftershave balms shall not contain witch hazel. Well that sucks! So what is SWCT to do? Well, I do what any normal wet shaver would do, I apply the Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel to my face. And once I am done doing that, then I follow it up, with my aftershave balm.

And thats the way the 🍪 cookie 🍪 crumbles!

Are we considering aftershave splashes and lotions as one category or separate? From my understanding, splashes are primarily alcohol with added fragrance (eg Fine), whereas lotions contain less concentrated alcohol or even no alcohol but instead have added “skin foods” (eg Speick). This is what I primarily now use, reserving balms for only if the face feels dry or irritated.

I used to be averse to alcohol-based aftershaves and would use balms exclusively; I couldn’t stand the burn of alcohol. But now I’ve become used to it, and sometimes after a particularly smooth shave, I don’t even feel it. An added benefit of switching from balms to alcohol lotions has been less acne. I haven’t had a pimple in months!

I owe this switch from balms to alcohol-based aftershaves to @luvmysuper and his “Ode”; he made a rather convincing argument. 😉

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Are we considering aftershave splashes and lotions as one category or separate? From my understanding, splashes are primarily alcohol with added fragrance (eg Fine), whereas lotions contain less concentrated alcohol or even no alcohol but instead have added “skin foods” (eg Speick). This is what I primarily now use, reserving balms for only if the face feels dry or irritated.

I used to be averse to alcohol-based aftershaves and would use balms exclusively; I couldn’t stand the burn of alcohol. But now I’ve become used to it, and sometimes after a particularly smooth shave, I don’t even feel it. An added benefit of switching from balms to alcohol lotions has been less acne. I haven’t had a pimple in months!

I owe this switch from balms to alcohol-based aftershaves to @luvmysuper and his “Ode”; he made a rather convincing argument. 😉
I'm open to discussion and consideration on this point.

Personally, I've always considered balms to be more in the lotion camp.

To me, Speick is an aftershave.

In my world, balms are cream based. So whether it's drugstore Oil of Olay, Nivea, Neutrogena, etc. or something like T&H aftershave lotions or the Proraso lotions, those are balms (to me). Aftershaves, as I think of them are liquid with or without alcohol such as Old Spice, and the other drugstore offerings like Aqua Velva, Mennen, etc. In my cabinet, I also have a Speik splash and a couple from Proraso.

I found the results of the voting really interesting and don't understand the thinking of a splash type aftershave followed by a balm product. I'm in camp one which seems to be a significant minority. Just really surprised by these numbers.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I found the results of the voting really interesting and don't understand the thinking of a splash type aftershave followed by a balm product. I'm in camp one which seems to be a significant minority. Just really surprised by these numbers.

Hey there CCS, hope you are doing well today!

Here's what I think it is, if you don't have witch hazel, but you have aftershave splash, you'll have witch hazel in it. The idea I think is to tone the skin with witch hazel, and maybe the alcohol in the splash to disinfect the face as well. Knowing that balms have neither, so you use the splash first. Then you follow it up with the balm, so that you can heal and sooth the skin.

You know what I just ordered?
1664038991247.png

You notice thats not just a balm right? This stuff has got menthol in it. Oh yes, prepare to cool the face baby woohoo! I can't wait to use this product.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In my world, balms are cream based. So whether it's drugstore Oil of Olay, Nivea, Neutrogena, etc. or something like T&H aftershave lotions or the Proraso lotions, those are balms (to me). Aftershaves, as I think of them are liquid with or without alcohol such as Old Spice, and the other drugstore offerings like Aqua Velva, Mennen, etc. In my cabinet, I also have a Speik splash and a couple from Proraso.

I've tried aftershave first followed by balm and balm first followed by aftershave.

To me, it seems to work better when I apply aftershave followed by a neutral balm like CeraVe on my face where I've had the most sun damage (and the most suspicious spots removed).

My neck is pretty good so I just use aftershave there. :)

Here's what I think it is, if you don't have witch hazel, but you have aftershave splash, you'll have witch hazel in it. The idea I think is to tone the skin with witch hazel, and maybe the alcohol in the splash to disinfect the face as well. Knowing that balms have neither, so you use the splash first. Then you follow it up with the balm, so that you can heal and sooth the skin.

View attachment 1527695

You notice thats not just a balm right? This stuff has got menthol in it. Oh yes, prepare to cool the face baby woohoo! I can't wait to use this product.
That's actually a very good balm. :)

I've tried aftershave first followed by balm and balm first followed by aftershave.

To me, it seems to work better when I apply aftershave followed by a neutral balm like CeraVe on my face where I've had the most sun damage (and the most suspicious spots removed).

My neck is pretty good so I just use aftershave there. :)

That's actually a very good balm. :)
I think the way I approach it is that the balm is the aftershave and the splash products are perfume. I don't use the latter if I've used a fragranced balm like the T&H products but will with Proraso (their matching splash) or an unscented balm. The healing products I use are in the creams and balms (I didn't mention GFT Skin Food which is in its own weird category).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I think the way I approach it is that the balm is the aftershave and the splash products are perfume. I don't use the latter if I've used a fragranced balm like the T&H products but will with Proraso (their matching splash) or an unscented balm. The healing products I use are in the creams and balms (I didn't mention GFT Skin Food which is in its own weird category).
If I use a balm like the Duke Cannon or Nivea balms, I generally skip a standard splash and go with a Cologne, EdT or EdP.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Shave, warm water rinse followed by a cold rinse, towel dry face, Dickinson's witch hazel regular(12% alcohol) to clean face soap residual & dry off with dry washcloth, splash of aftershave, final lotion a small amount (pea size>) CeraVe moisturizing lotion(balm) scentless works the best for my self = Nice shave 96%> of the time.

Sometimes if a bump or red spot occurs on face it is usually taken care with a worn out tooth brush of light brushing and followed by a special solution of witch hazel and clove oil mixed together & applied on red spot.( ingrown hair concerns 2.5 years ago.) Have not had any issues since with ingrown hairs and my skin looks and feels good. Something about clove in witch hazel seems to work very well.

Last edited:

View attachment 1527695

Searched this topic for ideas as I’ve also seen a lot about hyaluronic acid but your thought process about order of applications mirrors my own, which is this- if the AS has astringent, witch hazel etc for any bacteria on irritated skin, and AS helps take care of any small abrasions, I should use it first. If my skin has been a little extra irritated by the shave or seems dry, I rub in Nivea balm AFTER the AS. I’ve seen others post about using AS last to dry up the balm. If you needed the balm to begin with, why intentionally dry it up with AS? That order seems counterintuitive to me unless I’m missing something. May have to consult a dermatologistics about alol this as I’m due for a checkup anyway. I’m a noob trying to figure out best practices for me. I’m sure lots of people do all kinds of things differently that work for them that may be better. Keep the comments coming! PS- I see you are a fellow menthol head. I’ve definitely learned not to use glacial AF immediately after a hot rinse. Cold can turn to fire!

Top Bottom