What's new

A question regarding sequence of balm/cream/skin care products and aftershave?

Which do you apply first?

• Balm/cream/skin care products followed by aftershave?

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Aftershave followed by balm/cream/skin care products?

Votes: 38 79.2%

• Total voters
The balms I use are aftershave products. The splashy stuff, when I use it, is a little added perfume. But you left out alum which is my normal first step after shaving - an alum rinse. Then a balm from T&H or Proraso. Sometimes a mix of Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel and Oil of Olay (non-scented). A splash might come afterwards. Splashes are Shulton Old Spice, Proraso Green, and Speick.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The balms I use are aftershave products. The splashy stuff, when I use it, is a little added perfume. But you left out alum which is my normal first step after shaving - an alum rinse. Then a balm from T&H or Proraso. Sometimes a mix of Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel and Oil of Olay (non-scented). A splash might come afterwards. Splashes are Shulton Old Spice, Proraso Green, and Speick.
Appreciate the input.

I didn't include Alum as it goes on right after the shave and is then rinsed off, hence not included in the sequence of products that remain on the face and are not immediately rinsed off. :)

In some parts of the world, alum is left on to dry on the skin as it has properties that some shavers want. I think it's common practice in India. Then a balm of some sort but, for me, it's a regular part of my aftershave routine. I leave it on during clean-up and then rinse it off.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
When I use both a balm and an AS (usually it is one or the other), I go thinner to thicker. Hence, AS and then Balm.

Outside of the AS being absorbed/drying quickly, the alcohol in it is good to fix up any abrasions that the alum doesn't even notice. The balm then moisturizes and keeping looking at my mediocre best.:letterk1:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In some parts of the world, alum is left on to dry on the skin as it has properties that some shavers want. I think it's common practice in India. Then a balm of some sort but, for me, it's a regular part of my aftershave routine. I leave it on during clean-up and then rinse it off.
Thank you for that. Learned something today. :)

I use Alum infrequently.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My aftershave is almost always grain alcohol with dissolved menthol, so losing its scent almost immediately after application is fine. I put it on right after shaving to lightly disinfect my face, make any glycerin in my soap work itself into my skin, and gimme that menthol rush. Then I wash my face (either by its lonesome or with the rest of me in a shower) and apply a balm containing hyaluronic acid.

Top Bottom