What's new

a question of taste?

So the question is this. I have a been using shaving soap and going good, but it lacks the slickness(?) that I like. Should I use a cream or maybe add some oils? What are y'alls thoughts on such things? Thanks ahead of time, HOSS

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What soaps have you been using?
Perhaps we can suggest some that offer more slickness

Or perhaps ya just need to add more water to your lather building?...

Soap is slicker than oil, and I think by extension, cream. At least the non-glycerine, not loaded with non-soap "moisturizer" kind of soap. (Stirling) Kiss My Face is an interesting liquid, though. And the new gels work fine with DE, if your skin can stand that (astringent).

I use oil a lot , but think of pre-shave as a chance to treat my skin and beard with things that AREN'T slick, or are prone to destroy lather.

I started with shave creams, now just have one left in my rotation. For me (and many other) shave soaps offer superior glide and cushion. The caveat is the learning curve with soaps. Each soap has a sweet spot regarding amount water. I suggest picking a shave soap and using it for a month. Once you dial it in, you'll know what "good lather" is. I regret not practise lathering while I was "learning the ropes". It would have helped me get to where I am much quicker...

So the question is this. I have a been using shaving soap and going good, but it lacks the slickness(?) that I like. Should I use a cream or maybe add some oils? What are y'alls thoughts on such things? Thanks ahead of time, HOSS
I wouldn't add oils....as others asked, what soap is it?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
What soaps have you been using?
Perhaps we can suggest some that offer more slickness

Or perhaps ya just need to add more water to your lather building?...

Jason is hitting the nail on the head. There are plenty of great super slick soaps, which combined with a proper lathering technique will deliver a very slippery lather.

Prophoss - are you there? Lots of help offered, but you will need to help us help you. What soap are you using now?

It may be soap related, but I think it's more likely to be a matter of water. As in, more.

Almost any proper shaving soap or cream can be made slick--or at least as slick as it can get--by going for a wet, gloppy, yogurty lather rather than a light billowy one. Usually that means going past the stiff peaks/meringue stage and incorporating more water until you get to the "soft peaks" stage. It takes longer, but shaves so much better.

Experiment!

Well I posted this about just before I headed to bed. Sorry for the late reply, I am using vanderhagen soap. I will start adding a bit more water and see how that goes. I did get a good fluffy lather this morning by going a bit longer with the brush so by adding that bit more water I should get the soft peaks that trombonliness is talking about. Thanks y'all.

Try rubbing the lather between your fingers. When it feels slick then you know you have reached the right point.

Well I posted this about just before I headed to bed. Sorry for the late reply, I am using vanderhagen soap. I will start adding a bit more water and see how that goes. I did get a good fluffy lather this morning by going a bit longer with the brush so by adding that bit more water I should get the soft peaks that trombonliness is talking about. Thanks y'all.
The aeration of the swirling with bit more water will do it. ..

Try rubbing the lather between your fingers. When it feels slick then you know you have reached the right point.
Good tip

Jason is hitting the nail on the head. There are plenty of great super slick soaps, which combined with a proper lathering technique will deliver a very slippery lather.

Exactly what Marco said. I was having issues with too dry a lather and not very slick, followed Marcos method (slightly modded for face lathering) and tons of very slippery lather! I suggest you read his wiki as he has some great tips!

I have had satisfactory slickness with even body soap (bar type). As others have said, it's all in finding the sweet spot.

I face lather, and am rather liberal with the water. If too watery, I just scrub with my brush until it's just right.

Top Bottom