What's new

A Question for Those Who Regularly Use Alum

Some of you use alum on your face after shaving, not just for areas with cuts. What are your reasons for doing this? What do you use after rinsing off the alum?

My routine is witch hazel after shaving then a shave balm. I'm currently not using alum except on occasional cuts.

I use alum after every shave. I use it to reduce any irritation, close any weepers and generally tighten the skin on my face. I leave it on only long enough to clean up my gear, rinse it off with cold water and then use plain witch hazel, usually T.N. Dickinson's, and then apply an aftershave splash. In the winter if my face is feeling dry I'll apply a balm in between the witch hazel and splash.

I use it for weepers, but apply it to my whole face, usually. I've also used it after a shave with a new razor or blade to see (by the amount of sting) how good or bad the shave went.

I started using it in February of this year. It does appear to help me with nicks, weepers, irritation as well as appears to have helped keep my face clearer. I've dealt with acne/blemishes all my life and can say that I've been pretty happy with my skin since I started using it daily with my shave routine.

I shave before I shower:
1) Shave, usually two passes, warm water, soap with brush nothing else
2) rinse my face of any excess soap
3) apply alum all over face, including forehead, nose area etc.
4) clean up shaving kit (brush, razor etc)
5) hit the shower to rinse my face
6) After I shower I use Nivea sensitive skin After shave (no alcohol) and a light moisturizing cream.

I haven't timed how long it takes me but I can't say more than a few minutes between application and rinse in the shower.

Is it really helping my skin? No idea but it seems to me that it helps so I use it. I sport a goatee (no mustache) and mid length side burns.

YMMV...

I have used alum after each shave for decades because of its astringent, anti-irritation and anti-bacterial properties. At that time I never used witch-hazel. About 5 years ago I started using witch-hazel and it gradually became a routine because I felt it was of a great benefit to my skin. I still use alum now and then, let it nearly dry and apply witch-hazel ontop without rinsing it off. I let it work thoroughly before applying a nourishing balm. I do not use aftershave splashes.
A great treat for my skin.

I use an alum block on my whole face post shave. My routine is:

1) Rinse with hot water
2) Apply alum and clean gear
3) Rinse with cold water
4) Pat dry face with towel
5) Apply witch hazel and/or Trumper skin food

I like to use the alum block because it acts as an antiseptic and helps mitigate irritation like razor burn and bumps. It's also a good indicator of how good my shave was. Some burn is fine and is expected on sensitive areas. No matter the shave I always feel something on my neck.

I use alum after every shave. I use it to reduce any irritation, close any weepers and generally tighten the skin on my face. I leave it on only long enough to clean up my gear, rinse it off with cold water and then use plain witch hazel, usually T.N. Dickinson's, and then apply an aftershave splash. In the winter if my face is feeling dry I'll apply a balm in between the witch hazel and splash.

This is my approach as well.

After every shave as an astringent and antibacterial. It also tells me where my prep or technique were not as good as they could have been, even though the shave felt great.

Apply to a wet face. Leave it while I clean up my gear. Cool water rinse. Then post-shave oil. Then balm/lotion, and/or a splash.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am a shave before I shower shaver. I use an Alum Block after every shave. I rub the Alum Block over my face and as it dries I rinse all the shaving gear that I have used and towel dry the shaving gear. I then step in the shower and the alum is rinsed off. I use it for any weepers, nicks and to see how close my shave has been. I had never heard of an Alum Block until I found this forum. For me it is a plus and I am very happy to have adapted an Alum Block into my morning shave.

I use it after every shave on my whole face. I find it reduces irritation that occurs later. I do not leave it on long. Usually clean and dry my brush then rinse off the alum.

I managed to drop my alum block. I collected some of the pieces, ground them up into fine powder, and added to a bottle of witch hazel. Give it a good shake before applying, and I figure both will work together. Certainly doesn't seem to do any harm.

I use mine everytime after shaving. It helps me to identify how my shave goes and definitely helps with minor nicks and weepers. The routine is after shaving...
Cold water rinse
Apply alum
Clean up all shave equipment
Rinse alum off
Apply Thayers Lemon
Apply aftershave

I don't get nicks or weepers, but I use alum applied to my wet face after every shave. It has an astringent effect that suits my oily skin. When I don't use it, my face feels greasy (yuck) a few hours after applying a splash/balm.
Apply after final cold rinse, clean up my gear, rinse off the alum, apply as.

The alum block is a vital part of my routine. If I get a sting, I know that I need more attention to that area or technique. When I have day with no sting at all, I know that I did well. I complete my shave, use a cold compress, apply the alum block, and then take my shower. After the shower, I reapply the cold towel, dry my face with 21 waves of a towel ( variation of a 21 gun salute). Get dressed and decide on splash of balm for the day. I think the alum block adds a lot to the experience.

Top Bottom