What's new

A Question for Head Shavers

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. This isnt really about shaving per se, but afterward.

New to both wet and head shaving. Looking for best practices to reduce head shine. Im one oily **** and my head looks like polished chrome ball after a few hours. I prefer the matted look. Any lotion or shave soaps or face wash any other suggestions to achieve this would be great appreciated!

Try cold water. Over time it can help reduce the size of pores and shouldn't dry the skin as much as hot water. The drier your skin the oilier it will become as the skin will over produce to compensate.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I had the same chrome dome effect until I started applying a moisturising cream to my scalp after shaving and that fixed the problem for me.

This. I've always had oily hair, and now that I shave it all off I have an oily scalp. Mostly it means I have to buy a new ballcap about every year. :) A good scrub with a boar brush while shaving helps, but the lather strips skin oils that I'll want later.

I use Nivea Men Sensitive Aftershave Balm. It works and doesn't leave my head too shiny. You could powder it, I suppose. I don't as I live in a pretty dry place. Aside from the Nivea, rock that chrome dome!

O.H.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. This isnt really about shaving per se, but afterward.

New to both wet and head shaving. Looking for best practices to reduce head shine. Im one oily **** and my head looks like polished chrome ball after a few hours. I prefer the matted look. Any lotion or shave soaps or face wash any other suggestions to achieve this would be great appreciated!

Extra oily skin (excessive sebum production) is a deep topic more rooted in diet than anything else. Skin health and skin conditions are in essence a readout of your inner workings and a result of anything that goes in your mouth.... but that becomes a controversial conversation. If you want to explore that angle further, feel free to PM me as I've been down this road and it's well travelled.

For your head, experiment with different balms - my current favorite is Mysterium Serum by Phoenix AA. HeadBlade makes a cream called HeadLube Matte. This works ok... but the best topical solution is just to add a bit of Talc based powder to your head.. like a tiny amount.. just enough to dull the shine. Yes, use Talc powder for your head but not the Twig and Berries.. use corn starch based powder down there (like Chassis) if you choose to do so.

Face/Head wash in the morning I use L'Oreal Men Expert Charcoal Cleanser followed by Thayers Witch Hazel every day without fail. This combo does a better job for me than any soap could hope to achieve.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
My dome shines too, particularly in the winter. I use the Clinique Oil Control moisturizer and it works wonders on reducing the shine while hydrating my scalp.
415UJQWUc-L._SL1000_.jpg

From one oily **** to another, I have had good luck with the oil cleansing method. It seems ridiculous, but I wash my head and face with a 60/40 blend of castor and hemp seed oils. It has greatly reduced both the amount and the nasty greasiness of head oil. Facial pores have shrunk, as well. It's not perfect, but when I say oily...

For me its all about the soap. I personally use Cella and it dries me right out on the dome. However, any classic soap without the super butters will do. I do not put post-shave product on my head. No shine.

New to both wet and head shaving. Looking for best practices to reduce head shine. Im one oily **** and my head looks like polished chrome ball after a few hours. I prefer the matted look. Any lotion or shave soaps or face wash any other suggestions to achieve this would be great appreciated!I love my headshine.

Top Bottom