What's new

A Question for Cartridge Users

I assume that the large majority of Badger and Blade members use some version of either a DE or a Straight razor. I switched from a cartridge to DE in 2013 and have not gone back, despite some early struggles getting the knack of DE razor technique.

Some of you may prefer to use a cartridge razor. I'm curious to hear about your reasons for doing so. I personally find that DE shaving is superior in every respect.

P.S. In a post from last week, where I said that I found the second shave better than the first with a new razor blade, a couple replies mentioned "corking" the blade. I tried that with a new Astra blade and it worked beautifully! Thanks for your help.

Several reasons:

It’s faster. I never get nicks or weepers (my wife has white towels in the bathroom, so any unnoticed weepers stain the towels). I get a great shave with minimal effort- two passes give me bbs- it takes at least 3 passes + touch up to get the same results with a DE.

I’ll use a DE every once in a while, just for the “experience”, but prefer my cartridges. I do use a brush and shaving soaps or creams- don’t think I’ll ever go back to canned foam.

YMMV.

I switched from carts to straights about 16 months ago. I really prefer the straight. I can get a much quicker shave with a cart and would probably still use them if I had to get up and shave to go to work,.

I wouldn’t say I prefer a cartridge razor, but I do rotate using them and DE razors. Usually I’ll use a cart the majority of workdays and DE on the weekends or to mix up the week.

I’ve settled on the Skinguard as it is mild and does not irritate my skin, while producing good results for me. Mainly I rotate because of time, I don’t like to rush my DE shaves and can get ready quicker on workdays with a cartridge.

I use soaps with all my shaves and found that I can get great results with either razor. To me the most enjoyable part of the shave is the soap and brush portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used carts for 35 odd years. I have always found carts quicker, 2 passes and done. Yeah some razor burn and irritation but that was before I learned all about prepping before the shave. With a DE it tales 3 passes to get an acceptable shave compared to the 2 passes with a cart. Everyone is different, I am using a Schick Extreme 3 Sensitive disposable this week and I am getting excellent almost BBS shaves with just 2 passes.

I have never used a modern razor in my life (cart or disposable) until the ridiculous TSA rules became standard (I fly a lot for work).
My remarks:

Modern razors (carts or disposables) are too SLOW,I need 5 minutes for a four pass DE shave and at least 7 minutes for a four pass cart shave,that is because modern razors clog and need constant rinsing.

Modern razors are ineffective,in order to remove the same stubble that I remove with a single DE pass I need to go over the same area three or four times with a modern razor.I
don't get irritation because of this but it is frustrating and again SLOW .

Modern razors look like tennis shoes,to damn ugly.

I....demand a FAST and effective daily BBS shave.

That's why I have been a DE /Canned foam shaver since 1980 ,the year I started to shave,.....(never understood the ''brush/soap" thing though and it definitely isn't "essential" or "better" than a canned foam (or gel or whatever else used as shaving lubrication) but as usual YMMV)

IMHO the reason people use modern razors is the "steep" learning curve of DE/SE shaving and the ...bleeding (if you have poor technique ,a result of skipping the steep learning curve).

I wouldn’t say I prefer a cartridge razor, but I do rotate using them and DE razors. Usually I’ll use a cart the majority of workdays and DE on the weekends or to mix up the week.

I’ve settled on the Skinguard as it is mild and does not irritate my skin, while producing good results for me. Mainly I rotate because of time, I don’t like to rush my DE shaves and can get ready quicker on workdays with a cartridge.

I use soaps with all my shaves and found that I can get great results with either razor. To me the most enjoyable part of the shave is the soap and brush portion.

I use the skinguard when I travel and really like it.

I had used cartridges for 40+ years and switched to DE shaving in March and haven’t used one since. Much better shave and except for my RAD is less expensive. I found with cartridges I was doing a four or five pass shave with touch ups and with a DE I can do a 2 1/2 pass shave usually without touch ups although it does take longer.

The only time I use a cart is when I fly as a ‘one bag’ (unchecked) traveler. TSA is not worth the added effort as they are more likely to search my bag and raise objections if I take a DE, even without blades.

I keep a cartridge razor for travel and use it every once in a while.

Now that I've learned good technique I have no issues with the razor. It gives a quick and smooth shave.

I don't need to put pressure for the razor to give a smooth shave. It doesn't pull or tug hair. I don't have any issues that I hear about from other members.

I am primarily a DE and SE shaver, though I had a stint where I used my Trac II and Atra razors a lot, followed by a brief fling with a Sensor. Never progressed to a 3-blade cart or beyond. However, this past November, my wife gifted me with a custom Mach 3 handle for our anniversary. So of course I had to use it...

Have to say, I am impressed with the shaves. Cost of the refill cartridges, that's another matter. But I'm getting over a dozen shaves. The cartridges I found (massively discounted, BTW) should last me a while.

And because of the pleasurable shaves I got from the Gillette Mach 3 cartridge, I brought out my old Sensor and those shaves might have even been better.

Always travel with a sensor. Quick, easy, close shaves. I use a DE at home, which is more hobby than performance.

I have been using cartridges almost exclusively, the Gillete Fusion, and canned shaving cream/foam/gel for years and got iffy shaves, as my beard is very tough. About 2 years ago, I bought a Merkur 34c, a brush and some Proraso shaving soap. Shaves were much better but still not great. I was in a rush one day and used the Fusion along with the Proraso soap and got a fast, bbs shave, to my surprise. Clearly, the differentiator for me, was when I stopped using canned shaving cream/foam/gel and switched to a brush and shaving soap/cream. Possibly if I would have continued to use the DE, I would have gotten better at it, but decided why bother. The Fusion is much faster and I always get a BBS shave, with no nicks or issues.

The fun of shaving for me is using soaps and creams and to get it done quickly. I find as long as I dry the Fusion very well, I can get a months worth of shaves out of it, so at about $4 a month, cost is not an issue.

Guess I use cartridges because I am lazy????

I used DE for about 10 years exclusively (on my face) but eventually started keeping some form of a beard most of the year. I shave my head with a cart (Fusion ProGlide/Mach3) as a DE is too much work on my head. I loved the DE experience on my face and got great shaves with little more time than carts.

I am a die hard wet shaver though and always use a soap and brush (proraso cream without a brush when traveling or shaving in the shower).

I shave with anything except straights, too much maintenance required. Carts are just as good as anything else, DE, SE, AC. There isn't much in it, those that say carts clog and cause razor burn are doing it wrong, just as guys that say DE causes cuts and weepers are doing it wrong.
Carts and injectors require a lot less concentration than DE, and especially AC.

I've gotten pretty decent with a DE over the last ten years and can reliably get great shaves from mine, but lately I've been moving back to cartridges for a few reasons:
  1. I'd rather get an extra ten minutes of sleep in the morning than spend the time to get a shave that lasts maybe an extra hour.
  2. It's much easier to shave the problem areas on my neck with a cartridge than a DE; the pivot on my favorite cartridges (Mach 3 and Bic Flex5) really makes a difference.
  3. I can get the same shave quality in two passes instead of three or four plus touch-up.
  4. I never get razor burn from carts, but I do get it occasionally from DEs.
  5. I'm not looking for a spa experience, I just want to remove the hair from my face efficiently and comfortably; using nice smelling soaps and creams is just a bonus.
I'm not going to argue that any type of razor is superior to any other. DEs are fine and I still like to shave with mine on occasion; so are carts, SEs, straights, etc. Shave however you like, as long as you get the results you want.

I assume that the large majority of Badger and Blade members use some version of either a DE or a Straight razor. I switched from a cartridge to DE in 2013 and have not gone back, despite some early struggles getting the knack of DE razor technique.

Some of you may prefer to use a cartridge razor. I'm curious to hear about your reasons for doing so. I personally find that DE shaving is superior in every respect.

P.S. In a post from last week, where I said that I found the second shave better than the first with a new razor blade, a couple replies mentioned "corking" the blade. I tried that with a new Astra blade and it worked beautifully! Thanks for your help.

I use both DE and carts. I prefer DE but it takes me longer as I have very sensitive skin with a coarse beard. Thus any attempt to shave quickly with a DE usually results in nicks etc. Due to this In the mornings I simply don’t have time to use a DE so either use carts of electric. When shaving at night I always use a DE as I can take my time.

I've been wet shaving for fifty years, very good skin condition, and shave every other day, even with very good growth, shave that close... if I have to shave every day, no problem.

What I'm going to share will bust some thoughts and opinions here.

I shave VERY closely with either a Mergress XL DE, prior to this, a Progress. Also a Feather RG AC. Both for quite a number of years. Use a Sensor Excel Cryo for traveling.

Last four plus months, had eye surgery on left eye, will have surgery and involved prep for right beginning in a few weeks.

Was given Mach 3 blades and an eighteen dollar coupon to try. Easier to shave with while recovering.

GUESS WHAT......?

The shaves I'm getting with the Mach 3 are just as close as with the DE and Straight! It's all a matter of technique and comfort! Mach 3 lasting fifteen shaves. Sure, DE is less expensive. HOWEVER... the Mach 3 is an excellent razor.

YMMV!

Top Bottom