What's new

A Question for Barber's Hone Aficionados

OK, so I am not an aficionado but I've had my experience with several barber hones over the decades (including the vaunted itsapeech hone and the idealized Swaty three line hone, if that means anything).

My advice is to stay away from all vintage barber hones. Their age may have significantly changed their properties and ability to give a good edge. The composition of most of them suggests that they cannot create the kind of fine, keen edge that most straight shavers need and really enjoy. Most of them, if not all, were made, from what I have read, by a single manufacturer. The recipes for them are all that is different, and they aren't all that different in the end.

Many I have known are crumbling from age alone. For the hones that are seemingly not crumbling has their binder been degraded by time? In many instances I'll say, yes. In all instances I'll say they are probably far too aggressive for a straight razor.

I believe their popularity at the time was because of their aggressiveness and thus their ability to give a quick sharp edge, though not a smooth one. I believe that many barbers back in the day realized that the edges imparted were not as smooth and were actually quite rough compared to the better hones of the day. I believe they compensated for this by stropping the living daylights out of their resulting edges in an effort to smooth them (stropping is, after all, easier than honing and quicker if you're good at it). Many linen strops in those days were impregnated with a smoothing agent similar to chalk or spackle, I have one of those as an example and it works a treat to smooth an edge roughly honed.

That said, there are many a user that still like them and good on them if they enjoy them. For myself, I've never liked them all that much and find better edges from natural hones or even the modern synthetics (which provide the best, IMHO).

YMMV. Hope that helps.

Chris

Thanks guys. I am more interested in the general water versus lather question on barber's hones as originally stated. Perhaps I should expand this to water versus lather as applied to coticules and smoothed translucent or black Arkansas stones in yielding a milder (finer) result as well.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It seems like it takes me more a few strokes with lather but no difference in the final result. 5 or 6 laps is typically all that I need on a barber hone with water. 10 or 12 with lather.

Depends on the hone and very possibly the user also. A mild cutting barber hone with lather on it might not have any impact on the edge. I've seen this with a 'Tiger' brand two sided hone. Another example, some people find the Fernsler's Ruby hone to be harsh when used one way, but not when used dry. My feelings about that stone are mixed and I also think that the binder in that hone (maybe all b-hones actually) may not be consitent from example to example - yielding different results with different people across a variety of techniques. I found that specific Ruby hone to be exceedingly prone to creating edge degradation no matter what but I have only ever tried one example. I guess that it's safe to say - try every which way possible and figure out what works best for you with yours.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Best synthetic vintage barber hones I've used tended to be dry hones.

Which hones were those? And what about hones where the box directions recommend use with water, oil, or lather?

Depends on the hone and very possibly the user also. [. . .] I guess that it's safe to say - try every which way possible and figure out what works best for you with yours.

Agreed. I am curious about the ruby hone. Is this currently being produced, or is it a vintage item? I have seen so-called ruby hones on the current market.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Fernsler's Ruby Hone is a shellac hone, a vintage item. I've seen what appear to be 'regular' barber's hones marked only 'ruby' but they're not what barber hone afficianados are talking about I believe.

Google 'Fernslers Ruby Hone' and click on images and you'll see the desirable one.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on these or other barber's hones.

Cheers, Steve

A loooooooot of hones say they can be used dry wet or lathered. Some good some bad. I've noticed that can be used dry hones average better. Only a few bad ones, most a step up from avg, and a few very good.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Which hones were those? And what about hones where the box directions recommend use with water, oil, or lather?

Agreed. I am curious about the ruby hone. Is this currently being produced, or is it a vintage item? I have seen so-called ruby hones on the current market.
Fernsler's Ruby hone has been out of print for a very looooong time.

Top Bottom