What's new

A question about Shavemac knots

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I always wanted a Shavemac brush, but somehow never got to buying it, there was always something else.
Anyhow, so I'm considering purchasing a Shavemac, and I think I've narrowed it down to two options - either their "Silvertip D01" knot or their "Silvertip D01 2-Band" knot. But I really can't decide which one. Perhaps someone have tried both and can tell me which one is better and what are the differences. I must add that I like a strong backbone and density in my knots. Thanks.

I have both. I much prefer the two band and am considering trying to trade the threeband for a shavemac synthetic. I find the two band easy to use with any soap. I find the three band harder to use and it has helped me love synthetics.

I've had both and prefer the D01 silvertip over the D01 two band. I got rid of the D01 Two Band feeling that is was too stiff and even scritchy. After months of use it still wasn't broken in. I still have a D01 silvertip that I got recently, and I got rid of one that just got worn out after years of use by three owners. Both have plenty of backbone and both are very dense. My two band had thicker hair and a little more backbone, but it was close. The silvertips have finer hair and softer tips.

Hello. May I add my view?

The Silvertip 2-band is the Shavemac knot that I fine most pleasant. The D01 knots are typically too stiff, occasionally scratchy. The silvertip 2-band provides soft tips and good backbone. That's just the combination I prefer.

Hello. May I add my view?

The Silvertip 2-band is the Shavemac knot that I fine most pleasant. The D01 knots are typically too stiff, occasionally scratchy. The silvertip 2-band provides soft tips and good backbone. That's just the combination I prefer.
+1. Max hit the nail on the head.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

D01 two band is the best knot I have in the quiver. Works well in any environment I have placed it. Shavemac synthetic is a nice knot, but it ain't a D01, especially with harder soaps.

The D01 is what I got in my lime Rudy Vey M7 homage that’s on its way. I’m hoping it’s similar to Simpson’s 2 band, which I love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only tried the 2 band od their D01 offerings and my advice would be not to get one unless you REALLY like scrub.
Mine was a bulb though, a fan might be more comfortable.

I only tried the 2 band od their D01 offerings and my advice would be not to get one unless you REALLY like scrub.
Mine was a bulb though, a fan might be more comfortable.

I bowl lather so I’ll be okay if it’s a little scrubby. For softer, would you recommend a d01 3 band from shavemac?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Shavemac D01 two-band is not for the faint hearted!! It is densely stuffed with a thicker, stiffer hair. This results in a very strong backbone. The knot can be quite scrubby, but I never heard a complaint of any of my customers it is scritchy. Jim here said years ago "you can jack up your car with a D01 two-band". I always say that it is an acquired taste, like some whiskies. I must say, however, I have only flattop and fan, but not a bulb in this hair. A couple of B&B LE's I made in the past were offered with this hair!
The D01 three band, also very densely stuffed is a nice soft hair, not scrubby or scritchy, just a three band with a nice back bone, but not even close to the two-band version.
I have brushes with both these hairs and love them.
Now, the two-band silvertip (not D0 version!!) is what I call the "bees knees" of hair!! I use this hair the most in my brushes. It is a very nice two-band hair, but not stiff or thick as the D01. It has super soft tips and just the perfect amount of backbone for most of us. The knots are not as densely stuffed as D01, thus having great flow-through and are not lather hogs at all. I got 6 or 7 brushes with it in my personal stash.....and one of them is the one I pick most...

The nice thing with Shavemac knots is that they can be ordered in different shapes, size and lofts, so everyone's choices are covered.

Shavemac D01 two-band is not for the faint hearted!! It is densely stuffed with a thicker, stiffer hair. This results in a very strong backbone. The knot can be quite scrubby, but I never heard a complaint of any of my customers it is scritchy. Jim here said years ago "you can jack up your car with a D01 two-band". I always say that it is an acquired taste, like some whiskies. I must say, however, I have only flattop and fan, but not a bulb in this hair. A couple of B&B LE's I made in the past were offered with this hair!
The D01 three band, also very densely stuffed is a nice soft hair, not scrubby or scritchy, just a three band with a nice back bone, but not even close to the two-band version.
Now, the two-band silvertip (not D0 version!!) is what I call the "bees knees" of hair!! I use this hair the most in my brushes. It is a very nice two-band hair, but not stiff or thick as the D01. It has super soft tips and just the perfect amount of backbone for most of us. The knots are not as densely stuffed as D01, thus having great flow-through and are not lather hogs at all. I got 6 or 7 brushes with it in my personal stash.....and one of them is the one I pick most...

The nice thing with Shavemac knots is that they can be ordered in different shapes, size and lofts, so everyone's choices are covered.

OUTSTANDING summary from a master craftsman and a gentleman!! :a14: :a14: :a14:

One of my Shavemac D01 two-band brushes. Always a delight.
C4E68A04-93ED-444E-B19A-9DA11D52F940.jpeg

Rudy also emailed me to correct me on what I actually ordered from him, lol. I got the normal
2 band, not the d01. This is what professionals are for, heh.

Brush of the day: D01 Silvertip. As dense as the D01 two band, but with softer, finer hair. More backbone than a typical three band brush. Get one; you will love it.

DSCN3140.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I don't have any of these brushes, but this is one of the most educational posts on B&B. I will read it twenty more times if I ever consider buying one of these brushes.

Thank you, sir.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom