What's new

A question about Shavemac knots

I don't have any of these brushes, but this is one of the most educational posts on B&B. I will read it twenty more times if I ever consider buying one of these brushes.

Thank you, sir.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I agree with Rudy on the D01 knots except I definitely felt scritch with the D01 two band I had. I love the D01 silvertip (three band). Like Rudy said, it is very dense, like the two band, but the hairs are finer and softer with a bit less backbone. The one that I recently bought has more backbone than you usually associate with three band silvertip knots. It has the backbone of your typical two-band brush from other manufacturers. I don't think I have used a regular 2-band. I had a Shavemac brush with a two band knot once that the owner called a "Unique Knot". The card that came with it said 2 band silvertip. To me, that brush was indistinguishable from my D01 2 band so I believe the original owner's claim that it was not a standard 2-band.

I have a couple D01 two band and like them a lot. But all this discussion has got me way too curious about the D01 Silvertip. I'm ordering one soon.

Should have said "I don't think I have used a standard 2-band FROM SHAVEMAC."
I still have every brush with a Shavemac that Rudy has ever made me. That's pretty powerful seeing as I sell a lot of brushes I acquire. I've never sold one of those 2-band Silvertip Shavemacs. They are that good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I went on a huge Shavemac kick a few years ago and I will agree with everyone else that the 2-band silvertip is the best hair. I recently downsized significantly from about 12 brushes and of the brushes I'm keeping, two are Rudy Vey Chiefs with Shavemac 2-band fans (see my avatar). They are soft at the tips, no scratching, but have good backbone to build a lather.

I only had one Shavemac D01 briefly and did find it was a strong knot but was kind of scratchy. I would say it was similar to a well-packed Simpson Best knot and IMO not worth the money.

I do also really like Shavemac 3-band silvertip although you need a bigger knot as they are kind of pointy. Incredibly soft though.

I have all of the
Shavemac D01 two-band is not for the faint hearted!! It is densely stuffed with a thicker, stiffer hair. This results in a very strong backbone. The knot can be quite scrubby, but I never heard a complaint of any of my customers it is scritchy. Jim here said years ago "you can jack up your car with a D01 two-band". I always say that it is an acquired taste, like some whiskies. I must say, however, I have only flattop and fan, but not a bulb in this hair. A couple of B&B LE's I made in the past were offered with this hair!
The D01 three band, also very densely stuffed is a nice soft hair, not scrubby or scritchy, just a three band with a nice back bone, but not even close to the two-band version.
I have brushes with both these hairs and love them.
Now, the two-band silvertip (not D0 version!!) is what I call the "bees knees" of hair!! I use this hair the most in my brushes. It is a very nice two-band hair, but not stiff or thick as the D01. It has super soft tips and just the perfect amount of backbone for most of us. The knots are not as densely stuffed as D01, thus having great flow-through and are not lather hogs at all. I got 6 or 7 brushes with it in my personal stash.....and one of them is the one I pick most...

The nice thing with Shavemac knots is that they can be ordered in different shapes, size and lofts, so everyone's choices are covered.

I have all of the knots Rudy mentioned. My opinion: I like them all. I happen to like variety. The only brushes that I am not a fan of are the floppy knots such as the Plisson Cade.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I have finally received my Shavemac in Silvertip 2-Band, just like Rudy advised. I love the knot! It's very soft with an adequate backbone. Big thanks to Rudy and others who told me about this knot.

I have finally received my Shavemac in Silvertip 2-Band, just like Rudy advised. I love the knot! It's very soft with an adequate backbone. Big thanks to Rudy and others who told me about this knot.
Congratulations! Do you have a photo?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Congratulations! Do you have a photo?

DSC01764.JPG

Nice. Those are the same handles that I chose for my two shavemac brushes. I prefer the larger one, as I bowl lather and prefer a bigger, longer handle. Nice brushes though. Enjoy!

i have a flat fan in Silvertip D01 2-Band , its stiff, works good for bowl lather and painting lather onto face, but not good for face lather. the tips are soft but its too stiff for me to face lather. i like soft brushes. i want to get another one in a bulb or fan with Silvertip 2-Band. im just not sure on the sizes

IMG_0266(1).jpg

Top Bottom