What's new

A question about Rive Gauche.

I just saw a 125ml bottle of Rive Gauche for... 25 dollars I believe, and I know it's very well regarded, but when I looked it up on basenotes I saw that one of the topnotes is star anise. Now, anise and I don't get along, sambucca, black licorice, yuck, not gagworthy or anything, just not something I enjoy.

There's no tester, so that leaves me wondering exactly how prominent a note the star anise is, because the rest of the notes sound quite nice.

Anise is not very prominent in rive gauche IMO. To me anise is stronger in azzaro ph. But you could ask someone closer to you to send you a sample before buying a bottle.

I just saw a 125ml bottle of Rive Gauche for... 25 dollars I believe, and I know it's very well regarded, but when I looked it up on basenotes I saw that one of the topnotes is star anise. Now, anise and I don't get along, sambucca, black licorice, yuck, not gagworthy or anything, just not something I enjoy.

There's no tester, so that leaves me wondering exactly how prominent a note the star anise is, because the rest of the notes sound quite nice.

Rive Gauche = Barbasol Original

It's there, like in Azarro, but it's not very licorice-y at all. It's really hard not to like, it does smell like Barbasol, which is pretty innocuous. Try and buy the metal "bottle" only as I think they've reformulated it and put it in glass and it's supposedly not as good, but there are plenty of the striped metal versions still around at least.

I decided to take the plunge and buy it anyway, turns out it is the metal one. I also just received a nice big order of decants from Archerfire, so I guess I'll be having a lovely smelling long weekend.

The anise is just a note among many and it's not very strong. I'm not really a licorice fan either and I adore Rive Gauche PH, if that means anything.

IMO, everyone should have Rive Gauche PH in their collection.

It just plain smells good!

+1 I was worried that it would smell too strongly to others, but I haven't had any problems. (Don't spray too much though; I could see it being overpowering...)

Haven't worn in awhile, but the anise seems to be in the top notes and not very long lasting as I recall. Too bad you hate anise. licorice type scents supposedly arouse women.

Of course. It was actually at walmart, hopefully it's the same price around you, it was a really good deal.

:scared::scared::scared: I am making a stop at Walmart tomorrow! Thanks. I did not initially ask because I figured it was probably at a discounter or something in your area. Stock at discounters vary store to store. I never would have guessed Walmart. I have a feeling though that this is not going to turn out in my favor. I see you are in Canada..... probably not the same stuff Walmart stocks here. But I will give it a shot!

I was very disappointed with Rive Gauche when it came out, and didn't like it much at all.
But I own two bottles now.
Women really like it, and that's reason enough for wearing it.
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom