What's new

A question about MMOC shaving

I recently got a MMOC with Personna coated blade. First shave was wonderful,
smooth and comfortable. Since the first shave I can't recreate that sensation.
The shave is harsh and uncomfortable. I change to a new blade but the result is the same. No doubt the shave is good and I got BBS but the feeling is harsh.
Any advise please.
P.S It's my first Gem razor.

Micromatics are one of the most aggressive SE razors out there. They'll eat you alive if you've never used one before.
The only advice I can give you is do very light short strokes and take your time until you get a good feel for it. The clog proof version that's not and OC is a little less aggressive.

You may be applying too much pressure. A light touch is all that is needed! A nice slick lather won't hurt either...

Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE Razor_intructions2_1_1.jpg
Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE Razor_intructions2_1.jpg

I used to very aggressive DE razors like iKon Tech and R41. I use light touch and a good leather. May be the Gem blade is harsher than a DE blade?

If you follow the directions in the picture above, you will be fine, if you try to find your own angle than I'm not sure what you'll get.

I'd suspect a slight, unconscious change in angle or pressure - it doesn't take much to throw the MMOC off its game. When my results go south it's usually because I'm going too fast.

i just got my first gem open comb micromatic and used it last night for the first time....loved it!

because i loved it so much, i am considering selling my paa bakelite slant, my injector clone and whatever else i tried in the past.

i didnt use long strokes but will try that again tonight.

my only gripe with the gem is the short handle...i wouldve liked it longer and a bit heavier but thats ok.

Keep the razor at the shallowest possible angle; almost flat against your face, like in the illustration rabidus posted above.

Aside from that, I have no idea what the problem might be. I shave with it every day for a week at a time without any irritation whatsoever. I have no idea why people think this is a harsh, aggressive, or difficult razor. I pretty much do long strokes, too. No problems at all. Smooth sailing.

second time using the gem ocmm razor tonight...got some weepers...mostly on the neck going atg.
guess i was a bit too confident but the alum bar fixed it right up.

a real close nice shave...
makes me want to sell off all the other razors i own that dont compete.

And shave with your arm not your wrist.

This is one of the most important pieces of advice and it's something that people generally are unaware of. Do not move the wrist and move the hand by moving the arm from the elbow or the shoulder.

Thanks for posting.

Takes a few shaves but you'll get it as the guys gave you good advice above. I can get a BBS shave in 2 1/2 passes with mine and it's the most efficient SE along with a newly acquired Streamline. This is not a razor to do a 5 minute speed shave with so I'd keep that injector if I were you for those days.

so i have done 3 shaves with the gem opem micro and 3 with the clone injector.

the gem is great! last shave was perfect.
the injector wont be a keeper....the stubble comes back too quickly for me but it is easy to use and probably better than a cartridge razor.

i still like my Kronos DE though so it looks like the kronos and the gem are getting kept.

I recently got a MMOC with Personna coated blade. First shave was wonderful,
smooth and comfortable. Since the first shave I can't recreate that sensation.
The shave is harsh and uncomfortable. I change to a new blade but the result is the same. No doubt the shave is good and I got BBS but the feeling is harsh.
Any advise please.

I have had similar experience. When it is good, it is very good, and vice versa. I think the advice above is accurate, I'm in the middle of a sneaking suspicion that I am still using too much pressure when I shave, which is causing irritation with my more aggressive razors. Good luck with the shaves and keep us posted on your progress.

Back off on the pressure and try using a skin stretching technique similar to what you'd do with a straight when using aggressive or what I'd refer to as very efficient razors like the MMOC. I can get BBS in 2 passes with a touch up only on my neck cowlick with mine using that technique. If I use Long strokes it's 3 passes and touch ups to BBS with MMOC.
Good shaving!

Top Bottom