What's new

A question about dedicating pipes...

Okay, so I just finished a bowl of a very enjoyable VaPer (Solani 633). I have an "English" pipe, a few aro pipes (a meer, meer-lined, and a cob plus a couple briars dedicated to specific blends), and the rest of them I've been smoking VA's in. My question is, should I dedicate one of the VA pipes to VaPers? Or will I not notice a difference?

While I'm at it, any recommendations for "must try" VaPers? I've tried Dunhill Navy Rolls (meh) and I have a tin of Escudo lying in my makeshift baccy cellar.

Some are more sensitive to perique than others. For me I have mine separated into aro/lakeland, English, and everything else with just one Va pipe for a couple of favorite VAs. Others will not want anything that has had perique in it to get near there best Va pipes. You might split up your Va pipes and see if after smoking a few Vapers in one if Va tastes different enough in it for you to want to dedicate specific Va only pipes.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
80% of the tobaccos I smoke are either Va or VaPur. I make no effort to smoke either/or in specific pipes, and do not notice any ghosting from the Perique

I'd recommend McCelland 2015 and Esoterica Dunbar and Exhausted Rooster. The E.R has some Burly mixed in and is an interesting blend.

I have smoked a pipe my whole adult life. [mod edit]...[/mod edit] Give me a can of Prince Albert and I am fine. I understand tobacco and some are good and some are not and I will splurge and buy a good one every once in a while. I have learned that the best pipe tobaccos are the ones that the tobacco shop has in glass jars that are sold by the ounce. [mod edit]...[/mod edit] I have 15 pipes. I have two that I really like and one of those I smoke out of everday. It does not matter what type of tobacco or anything like that. It's my pipe, my daughter picked it out. If the taste isn't right I'll clean it. [mod edit]...[/mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have smoked a pipe my whole adult life. [mod edit]...[/mod edit] Give me a can of Prince Albert and I am fine. I understand tobacco and some are good and some are not and I will splurge and buy a good one every once in a while. I have learned that the best pipe tobaccos are the ones that the tobacco shop has in glass jars that are sold by the ounce. [mod edit]...[/mod edit] I have 15 pipes. I have two that I really like and one of those I smoke out of everday. It does not matter what type of tobacco or anything like that. It's my pipe, my daughter picked it out. If the taste isn't right I'll clean it. [mod edit]...[/mod edit]

I guess that answered that age old question

Last edited by a moderator:
80% of the tobaccos I smoke are either Va or VaPur. I make no effort to smoke either/or in specific pipes, and do not notice any ghosting from the Perique

I'd recommend McCelland 2015 and Esoterica Dunbar and Exhausted Rooster. The E.R has some Burly mixed in and is an interesting blend.

Thanks Derrick. Dunbar was one of the ones I was looking at for my next order.

easy there seabiscuit

:confused1 Makes me wonder what I missed.

Okay, so I just finished a bowl of a very enjoyable VaPer (Solani 633). I have an "English" pipe, a few aro pipes (a meer, meer-lined, and a cob plus a couple briars dedicated to specific blends), and the rest of them I've been smoking VA's in. My question is, should I dedicate one of the VA pipes to VaPers? Or will I not notice a difference?

While I'm at it, any recommendations for "must try" VaPers? I've tried Dunhill Navy Rolls (meh) and I have a tin of Escudo lying in my makeshift baccy cellar.

First of all, the question about dedicating pipes to specific blends is completely up to the individual. I have found that, while it certainly is best to dedicate certain pipes to certain types of blends (English/balkan blends, aromatics, va/per, burley) is wise, I cannot detect any blend specific ghosts from any specific tobacco blend in any pipe. You should always have a pipe dedicated to English blends, one for va/pers, and one for straight virginias, as well as pipes for different aromatics. Some va/pers are heavy on the perique, and will ghost up your pipes a bit, and you may not want that if you're enjoying MacBaren's Virginia #1. Now, for some money saving tips. Dunhill Rolls are, to my knowledge, made by Peter Stokebye, as is Escudo. Peter Stokebye Luxury Bullseye is the same tobacco as the Dunhill, and is nearly identical, if not the same, as the new Escudo. But it is a bulk tobacco that is cheaper than either. One of my all time favorite va/per is Gawith & Hogarth's Louisiana Flake. If you want something a bit heavier on the perique, try Cornell & Diehl Bayou Morning Flake. If you want to be swimming in Perique, try their Kajun Kake. For a bit more money, but well worth it in my opinion, is G.L. Pease's Haddo's Delight.

Last edited:
Just get as many pipes as you can and that way you can dedicate a different pipe to each tobacco you smoke.

AD? What's an AD?

I just smoke whatever I want in whichever pipe strikes my mood at the moment. Ghosting isn't a concern for me.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The only pipe I have dedicated to a specific blend is a Peterson 03 that I use when I smoke 1792. A thousand years from now a archeologist is going to dig up that pipe, and it's still going to smell like tonquin.

The only pipe I have dedicated to a specific blend is a Peterson 03 that I use when I smoke 1792. A thousand years from now a archeologist is going to dig up that pipe, and it's still going to smell like tonquin.

I used to smoke 1792 on occasion, but my friends all told me it smelled like a tire fire. And you are right, definitely dedicate a pipe to this stuff, as the smell and taste will never come out, no matter what you do.

Top Bottom