What's new

a question about brushes with wooden handles

so i recently got a few new brushes with wooden handles, when i first got the brushes the finish on them was pretty good, but after a few uses i noticed the finish chipping and wearing away, has anyone come across this problem? is there a finish that would be good use for bowl lathering on a goergetown pottery scuttle? would love to hear any thoughts or ideas from experienced wood workers or anyone who would have better genereal knowledge of wood working than i do. thanks!!

I'm not sure which brushes you have and how they were finished. I have (or had) several wooden handled brushes, but none of them were lacquered or painted. I have used Howards Feed-N-Wax on them for many years with excellent results. It's a beeswax and orange oil product that is readily available and easy to use.

I used Danish oil on a cheapo boar brush once. Used properly and left to cure, it turned out well.
If I remember right Danish oil is Linseed oil with a touch of varnish added. You would need to remove the existing finish first though.

Strange. The natural ash finish on my Semogue Owner's Club is bullet proof and has required absolutely zero maintenance from me in the 5 or so years that I've had it.

I hear that mineral oil can be good in preserving the wood. However, the wood should last if it's been made well.

so i recently got a few new brushes with wooden handles, when i first got the brushes the finish on them was pretty good, but after a few uses i noticed the finish chipping and wearing away, has anyone come across this problem? is there a finish that would be good use for bowl lathering on a goergetown pottery scuttle? would love to hear any thoughts or ideas from experienced wood workers or anyone who would have better genereal knowledge of wood working than i do. thanks!!

can you send a pic of the problems?

i have several brushes with wood handles, both new and re-furbished.
so far, knock on wood, no problems.
also no issues with wood handles on razors.

brushes wood handles.jpg

AFAIC any wood handle should be made from stabilized wood.
I have but 1 that is not and finished with wipe on Poly.
Any finish will degrade in time. If the wood is not stabilized it will move more, especially in a moist environment.
A flexible finish would be preferred.

I hear that mineral oil can be good in preserving the wood. However, the wood should last if it's been made well.

Mineral oil is not a finish and offers almost no protection to wood.

here are the picures of the two brushes i got.

Attachments

• IMG_6038.JPG
    IMG_6038.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6039.JPG
    IMG_6039.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6040.JPG
    IMG_6040.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6041.JPG
    IMG_6041.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6042.JPG
    IMG_6042.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6047.JPG
    IMG_6047.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6051.JPG
    IMG_6051.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
AFAIC any wood handle should be made from stabilized wood.
I have but 1 that is not and finished with wipe on Poly.
Any finish will degrade in time. If the wood is not stabilized it will move more, especially in a moist environment.
A flexible finish would be preferred.

Mineral oil is not a finish and offers almost no protection to wood.
I got the word from an experienced wooden brush maker so I'd think it was a sound advice. I don't know the specifics but I see some benefits in using mineral oil to wood online.

"Mineral oil doesn’t cure (polymerize), nor does it go rancid. It just sort of “is.” And for a butcher block or other food utensil, that’s okay. The idea is that this harmless, innocuous substance penetrates the wood and remains there, helping to drive out moisture and preventing bacteria from getting lodged within the wood and breeding. Mineral oil just stays somewhat “wet” and needs to be recharged and replenished from time to time. "

Carpenter of 30 years here.
Mineral oil is NOT a finish, contrary to what you might read on the internet.
Food grade mineral oil is used on cutting boards/bowls but must be re-applied very frequently. Mixing with a bees wax helps sustain longevity, same with walnut oil etc.
Its just about the worst "finish" for use with a shaving brush. It does not penetrate in any meaningful way and if it doesn't stick around then it doesn't do anything.

here are a few more pics, trying to get the right lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_6064.JPG
    IMG_6064.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6065.JPG
    IMG_6065.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6066.JPG
    IMG_6066.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6067.JPG
    IMG_6067.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6068.JPG
    IMG_6068.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
its hard to tell, but it seems like parts of the finihs have flaked off, its kinda smooth and shiney where the finish still is and then its pretty rough like the wood is exposed and has no finish on it, cant seem to get a good picutre of it tho, if you were holding the brush it would be easier to see, the dull parts seem to be exposed wood when i look at it.

heres some more pics, hoping they are better than the other i took

Attachments

• IMG_6069.JPG
    IMG_6069.JPG
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6070.JPG
    IMG_6070.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6071.JPG
    IMG_6071.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6072.JPG