What's new

A puzzle that has been bothering me for a long time. Could any gentleman answer that?

I have recently purchased a lot of JNAT, but I have a problem. Since the JNAT is excavated from the mine. Are they radioactive or toxic, just like many other minerals found in nature?

Maybe I'm thinking too much:confused1

Legion

Staff member
Maybe if the mine is right next to Fukushima, and mined after 2011. If it's not I'm sure you are ok.

A friend once told me that if I walked down the salt isle in the grocery with a Geiger counter I would be shocked. I've also heard that a mass of china dishes will emit measurable radiation. I wouldn't worry about it unless I was living in the mine.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Some fraction of potassium is naturally radioactive, and you can detect it in potassium chloride (salt substitute). But not walking down the aisle with a geiger counter. Possibly with a more sensitive instrument.

As far as china, most materials in the earth’s crust contain some radioactivity - if you’re in Colorado you’re around a lot of uranium. The older orange Fiestaware was actually coated with uranium oxide, that’s what made the color, but that’s the glaze, not the clay.

Top Bottom