What's new

A primer on new Parker razors, please

I've been shaving with straight razors for a few years now, but I'm thinking of getting into double-edges. I know absolutely nothing about them, but I'm expecting them be more convenient for a quick shave than a straight razor is. Currently, when I want a quick shave, I use a Mach 3, so I'm hoping to relegate that to backpack travel only, if possible.

The reason I'm asking about Parker is quite simple. I live in Asia, where decent shaving goods are almost nonexistent. Surprisingly, there is a barber supply store that has recently opened up in my city, and they sell Parker razors and Shark blades (more on that below). This seems like a good opportunity to buy a razor without having to pay for international shipping. And, I don't mind giving a store like this a little business as I'd like to see them stick around and maybe stock a few creams, balms, and aftershaves I want.

How aggressive are Parker razors for a newbie? Is there a difference in their various models other than simply asthetics? How is their quality and longevity? What's the advisability of buying the travel razor and using it as my regular one? The store only carries Shark single-edge blades, but the salesperson said they can be used in the razors. Is that advisable? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Hello SlowRain, Parkers are good razors. They take a verbal beating sometimes due to their poor quality control at their factories. I personally have had problems with three of the six or seven Parker razors I have bought. Be that as it may, I still think Parker razors are basically sound razors. As far as single edge blades are concerned, don't use them in a Double Edge razor. They can move in the head even when the doors are closed. I think the kind of blades you are talking about are shavette blades. If they are Double Edge blades it will say so on the box. You might be better off ordering some from an eBay vendor. Good Luck sir.

I looked at some Parkers that my local Men's Grooming salon carries. They seem fine crafted. I settled on a 26C, which is the three-piece open comb model. I can only speak to that model, but it's mild (for an open comb), nicely balanced, well made. I have no regrets in purchasing it.

Good of you to support a local B&M store.

Hello,

I have a few Parkers and like them all. Speaking to the quality issues, inspect before you buy. I have only had one that I exchanged because of finish defects on head suffice. Others have had more defects.
When inspecting them check finish for pitting, imperfections. More importantly check razor for function and even blade gap from side to side.

I'll list the ones I own if it helps.

92R, TTO, heavy razor a little on the aggressive side but smooth.
87R, TTO, Gillette rocket clone, very shiny, great grip and smooth. One of my favorites.
24C, 3 piece open comb,on the mild side but very smooth. Nice razor.
71R, 3 piece smooth safety bar, plain razor, on the aggressive side but smooth.
49R, 3 piece, very heavy, minor surface flaws, on the aggressive side but really nice if you like heavy razor.

Again inspect before you by. Personally I really like Parker razors but they are a Chevrolet not a Cadillac. I drive a beautiful Chevy Sliverado. YMMV.

Cheers
John

Thanks for the comments so far. Please feel free to add anything else you think will be relevant.

I'm working-class, so I'm not bothered by Parker's status, just their quality. It does seem I'll have to talk to that store about blades, though. I should go back there anyway and get a list the 3 or 4 different models they carry.

Hi,and welcome.I'm a vintage gillette and maggard man,but seems a lot of complaints about parkers in the last 2 years.First,where you are,get a weishi.Very mild,good for when need quick shave.I love my maggard v3a,which I believe comes from India,a lot of razor stuff from India now,it seems,and good quality.Single edge blade in a de?Do not think so,unless your terminology is wrong.You probably can get good shipping from Austrailia.Do what we do--mailorder!

Thanks for the comments so far. Please feel free to add anything else you think will be relevant.

I'm working-class, so I'm not bothered by Parker's status, just their quality. It does seem I'll have to talk to that store about blades, though. I should go back there anyway and get a list the 3 or 4 different models they carry.

If they carry Parker razors they probably carry Shark double edge blades. They are decent, see what else they have. They might also carry the Gillette Wilkinson Swords which are cheap and give good shaves.

Cheers
John

One of the first razors I got in February was a Parker 99R. Since I had also bought a Feather As-D2 at the same time, I loaned the Parker 99R out to my co-worker for a week of trial usage. He never liked it and when I traded my Feather with him to test the Parker realized the silo doors were bent and the blade gap was uneven. I think it came like that so I returned it without using it at all.

My only advice is to check it before buying if you can otherwise make sure you can return it if there is a problem. And yes, I looked on Amazon and other people were having the same problem with their newly bought Parker razors also.

I have a 3 piece Parker 65R. While it is a decent razor, I prefer my vintage Gillettes. If you are able to inspect the razor before purchasing it, there is no reason you shouldn't end up with a good one. Put a blade in it and inspect it to make sure the blade exposure is even on both sides. Be sure the blade centers well.

As as others have said, quality control has been the main issue with Parker. If you have the razor in hand, you should be fairly certain of ending up with a good razor.

I started out with a Parker 99r. Never had any problems with it. Ordered it off Amazon. Used it for a long time. Then I got into vintage razor collecting and my Parker just gathers dust. I would say look over one in person for any problem with its mechanics or finish and go for.

That store I mentioned has an online shop as well, so I checked what they had. I don't think they are as interested in model numbers as Western shavers are, so they just mention Parker double-edge razors. Two models I'm pretty sure they carry are:

A1R (for travel, unless Parker has different travel models)
82R

Here's a link to the picture if any of you are familiar with Parker razors and want to guess at the other two models: http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21543896741268. It looks to me like one is the 22R and the other is the 90R. They also had one more in the store (not shown in the picture) that had a black, somewhat bulbous handle--perhaps the 111B, 12R, or 14R.

Now, this gives rise to a couple more questions:

1. Is there a quality difference between Parker's butterfly and 3-piece razors? Meaning, is one style inherently more reliable than the other? Is one more prone to misalignment or quality problems down the road?

2. What about Parker's other products? How would you rate the quality of their soaps and brushes?

Thanks.

I can't speak to the soap. I have a Parker black badger brush. It is a little more scratchy then a lot of brushes but that isn't unusual with black badger hair. Overall I would say it is of ok quality. It does shed a little but easily whips up sufficient lather.

I picked up a Parker 98R three piece Ultra Heavy Weight Long Handle Double Edge Safety Razor just for the handle to use with my Muhle 2011 R41 head since I wanted a larger, heavier handle for that head. I have a couple of Merkur razors with similar looking handles so I liked the style and the fact that it will match my other razors.

I went ahead and used the 98R razor with the Parker head and found that it gave a good, easy shave, smooth and mild like a vintage Gillette SuperSpeed. I ended up liking the razor more than I expected and still use it on occasion.

Hey, yakster, funny meeting you here.

I'm leaning towards the A1R because it's a 3-piece (well, 4-piece, actually) and not a butterfly. I'm worried about the longevity and accuracy of the TTO mechanism. I found some Feather DE blades (not the ones in the yellow box, the ones in the gray and black box). I may consider some of Parker's other products when the time comes.

Thanks, everyone.

1. Is there a quality difference between Parker's butterfly and 3-piece razors? Meaning, is one style inherently more reliable than the other? Is one more prone to misalignment or quality problems down the road?

The 22R is one of three razors I own. The others are a Viking's Blade (also a butterfly; same price range as the 22R) and a three-piece Ikon Bulldog SC 102. I haven't had either razor very long. Funny thing is, one of the reasons I bought the Parker (besides its looks) was the longer handle, but I've come to prefer the shorter handles on the Ikon and the Viking. Go figure.

Anyhow, the 22R's mechanism seems to be of good quality and reliability. Aesthetically, it's a very good-looking tool, IMO. As with any TTO, it's a good idea to check that it stays shut tight during your shave. I don't think the blade alignment is perfect, but it isn't bad, and it gives me a decent shave. But of my two butterfly razors, I'm partial to the Viking. I think it has a slight edge in overall quality and performance, but time will tell, I reckon.

That said, the Ikon three-piece is my favorite and I tend to reach for it more often than not. I really like the way its slant head performs.

I have a Parker 26c 3 piece open comb and am delighted with it. It's a very mild open comb and I can routinely get BBS shaves with it.

I recently bought a Parker 111b. I've got vintage Gillettes, an EJ89, a Van Der Hagen and a few others too, but I keep coming back to this Parker 111b. For me, it gives the best shave of them all.

One more question I just thought of: Do all Parker 3-piece razors have the exact same head, excepting the ones specifically listed as "open comb"? Or do they have more than one style of head amongst their different 3-piece models?

I have one Parker left in the stable. I have a Parker 97R 'Hefty' that although is on the aggressive side, It can give up a so-so to acceptably comfortable shave with good technique and care. It'll mow down the tickets stubble, do worries and at least the build on it is flawless. I bought an 87R and a 96R and found multiple quality issues with door and bar misalignment along with contorted and uneven blade exposure/gap.

I think people will have a more consistent experience with their 3 piece items to be honest.

Last edited:
That store also sells the 89R (not the 90R like I said above) and the 12R (and the 11R online, as well, but I didn't see that one in that particular store).

The razor blades they sell are Shark Half Blades. It looks like those are for Parker's straight edges, not for the double edge safety razors.

Top Bottom