What's new

A pleasurable journey to find my (semi) daily and question..

Have had and sporadically used a Merkur 11C OC over the years but never really found its sweet spot. After a discussion with my barber a few months ago I got back into focusing on using a DE more regularly.

I knew I wanted something that was made in the US, was preferably SS (or perhaps Ti). Not having tried a lot of different blade gaps, having some choices would be a plus. While price was a consideration it was the lowest factor in making a decision as I prefer to buy one or two really nice things rather than ten mediocre ones (I am an avid watch collector).

After quite a bit of research here, and more broadly online, I pulled the trigger on a Rockwell 6S based on the flexibility of the plates, SS construction, etc. Having used it for the last 2 weeks I've been generally satisfied. Significantly better than my 11C. I started on plate 1 (way to mild and too much work), moved to plate 3 (much better, able to get BBS with 3 passess and clean up in trouble spots) and finally moved to 4 (a little better but not noticeably than 3). I really like the construction, packaging, stand, size, etc. I'm not crazy about the finish and feel a polished cap/plate might give a slightly smoother glide. Also the plate design, while flexible, is a bit of a inconvenience for me personally. Not sure once I have it dialed in that I'll switch especially mid-shave making all of the other parts somewhat unnecessary. I've used a Feather, Kai, Gillette Platinum blade so far (with Feather and Kai giving me the best results).

Reading too much on this form, is as everyone knows, dangerous to say the least. Over the last week I've been reading more and feel that I want to try a few other high(er) end razors prior to settling on my go-to (I typically shave 3-4 days a week when working from home, more often when at clients). Both Timeless and Rex bubbled up to the top of my research list.

Timeless - seems to be very strong praise and following and I really love their story, design, options, etc. The polished SS .95, scalloped base and cap along with the dimple handle is crying out to me. The .95 seems to be the more popular option and as I am a 3 day a week shaver it seems to be more appropriate than the .68. I suppose there's always the option to buy the milder plate if I move to shaving daily on a more regular basis.

Rex Ambassador - Another seemingly crowd favorite. The build and feature set seem great and much more convenient than the Rockwell, especially if you want to adjust mid-shave (I'm a shower shaver). I understand that the build quality is top notch however compared to the Timeless there are more moving parts which could impact how well it holds up and how easy it is to maintain. I've also seen some QC issues but understand that any issues have been quickly rectified. The adjustability factor is obviously the big draw here negating the need for multiple plates.

While I know there are many comparisons of these razors already in other threads (I have read many of them) I would be interested in any additional thoughts experienced users may have on this topic. I have 2 weeks left on my return window for the Rockwell and would like not to have a drawer full of pricey razors I rarely use. I'm ok with having more than one razor if people feel that "this" plus "that" would be the best setup but ideally having several three figure razors (at this time) is something I'd like to avoid. Finally I know the term YMMV and that no one has "my face" and therefore cannot make a definitive statement on the topic.

Thanks in advance and also to everyone who has taken the time to share their experience, wisdom and opinion on this very warm community.

-Andrew

I have a collection of 16 razors that I love, mostly vintage Gillettes. The most expensive one was $45 for a vintage Slim. Having gotten such great shaves, it's hard to believe a "three figure" razor can do much better. But until I try I will never know. The not knowing part kinda bothers me!

If I were to get one, it would be a timeless, a rex ambassador or a Charcoal goods. And since the charcoal is a waitlist item, I probably won't get one.

What I can offer to say is that a fellow member here had a real headache ordering his Rex from Razor Emporium. Customer service was poor and the item was out of stock without their having informed him about it. You might wanna steer clear of them unless you have had a positive experience in the past.

I have seen the Timeless Bronze online for about $80. Have you given any thought to this or are you wanting to aim higher?

Thanks for sharing!! For some of us it is a quest for a ‘destination razor’ for others a never-ending series of experiments (check the World Shaveoff thread). Either way this is a ton of fun!!:a14::a14:

Same here I'm not into expensive razors my most expensive is a Karve but more importantly I want a razor to shave well, no bells or whistles just a good shave. The problem is I'm all the way in Singapore and shipping multiple items is a real pain, so I had to buy a bunch of razors for combined shipping through a friend.

My take is keep the rockwell it's doing a great job so why the need to keep looking around?

If you are really curious you will never be able to settle on just a couple of razors lol!
Karve, Game Changer, Gillette New SCs/LCs, Slims, Fat Boys, Gillette Olds, etc etc...
Do you really want to go down that rabbit hole lol?
RedPillBluePill.jpg

If I had to make any recommendation outside your high end razor ambitions, it is to not miss out on the vintage Gillette experience. The Slim Adjustable is the best deal on ebay. I bought two for my friends, which were 10$ and 12$. The fatboy has made them less popular and there were always a ton of then out there.

The reason I say this is because it's similar to a lot of other gillette razors. It approximates the fatboy, the aristocrat, the super adjustables and all the super speeds in terms of performance and feel. If you have one of these, you're getting a cross section of all of them at the same time.

And for $12 there's no reason not to have one unless you're just dead set against it. I think it's also great because your shaving needs can change day to day. You can benefit a lot from having a backup.

Thanks all for the replies and feedback. I decided to pull the trigger on a timeless to give it a spin (.95 SC/SB, polished SS with dimpled handle). The "not knowing what I was missing" was causing restless nights and I wanted to give it a whirl while still within my 30 day window with the Rockwell. (My wife thinks I'm nuts).

Also popped down to Pasteur here in NYC yesterday, what an insane selection of goods they have. Picked up some Fine Snake Bite after shave (looks dangerous!) and some Phoenix Boomtown Bay Rum and Stirling Mountain Man cream. I've been a loyal AOS cream shaver for a long time. While I've tried a number of mainstream brands I always go back to AOS. Looking forward to branching out, especially now that I have found shaving ground zero near where I live.

Well again thanks all - I'll be sure to keep you posted (if interested) on how the Timeless goes in comparison to the Rockwell.

Happy shaving - andrew

If I had to make any recommendation outside your high end razor ambitions, it is to not miss out on the vintage Gillette experience. The Slim Adjustable is the best deal on ebay.
Its only a deal if you can get the shave you desire with it, otherwise its wasted money and your moving on to the next possible let down in the quest is all!!
And for $12 there's no reason not to have one unless you're just dead set against it. I think it's also great because your shaving needs can change day to day.
I'm not dead set against it, but I have a reason for not wasting my $12 above!! The only shave needs I have is to get a great shave everytime out!! I get that with my Timeless razors... Vintage doesn't work for everyone!!

If I'd only been smart enough in the beginning of my journey with traditional shaving it really amazes me how much money and time I'd have saved if only I'd listened to the recommendation of buying a higher end razor like a Timeless. I could've bought 3-4 razors in the last 2+ yrs and still saved a ton of money in the mean time!!

Thanks all for the replies and feedback. I decided to pull the trigger on a timeless to give it a spin (.95 SC/SB, polished SS with dimpled handle). The "not knowing what I was missing" was causing restless nights and I wanted to give it a whirl while still within my 30 day window with the Rockwell. (My wife thinks I'm nuts).

Also popped down to Pasteur here in NYC yesterday, what an insane selection of goods they have. Picked up some Fine Snake Bite after shave (looks dangerous!) and some Phoenix Boomtown Bay Rum and Stirling Mountain Man cream. I've been a loyal AOS cream shaver for a long time. While I've tried a number of mainstream brands I always go back to AOS. Looking forward to branching out, especially now that I have found shaving ground zero near where I live.

Well again thanks all - I'll be sure to keep you posted (if interested) on how the Timeless goes in comparison to the Rockwell.

Happy shaving - andrew
Excellent choice and I wish you many happy shaves....

Its only a deal if you can get the shave you desire with it, otherwise its wasted money and your moving on to the next possible let down in the quest is all!!

I'm not dead set against it, but I have a reason for not wasting my $12 above!! The only shave needs I have is to get a great shave everytime out!! I get that with my Timeless razors... Vintage doesn't work for everyone!!

If I'd only been smart enough in the beginning of my journey with traditional shaving it really amazes me how much money and time I'd have saved if only I'd listened to the recommendation of buying a higher end razor like a Timeless. I could've bought 3-4 razors in the last 2+ yrs and still saved a ton of money in the mean time!!

Thanks for this thought. I've gone down similar roads with watch collecting. I've told myself that by getting watch A it will scratch the itch and I won't have to spend more to get watch B. While I may enjoy watch A for a period of time I typically end up with (or continue to pine over) watch B and in the end wish that I had just gone straight to B.

BTW I too, like many others here, are seeking a great shave every go-round, regardless of how I get there. I suppose it doesn't mean that you can't get that with a $12 razor but I personally can appreciate fine craftsmanship, design, materials, performance, reliability, etc. that a more expensive one often brings. The great thing is that there are SO many options out there. Seems that a big part of experience is the ability to try many different things until you find your personal sweet spot. As the saying goes, it's not the destination, it's the journey.

Looking forward to diving in and putting these two great razors through the paces.

-andrew

Thanks for this thought. I've gone down similar roads with watch collecting. I've told myself that by getting watch A it will scratch the itch and I won't have to spend more to get watch B. While I may enjoy watch A for a period of time I typically end up with (or continue to pine over) watch B and in the end wish that I had just gone straight to B.

BTW I too, like many others here, are seeking a great shave every go-round, regardless of how I get there. I suppose it doesn't mean that you can't get that with a $12 razor but I personally can appreciate fine craftsmanship, design, materials, performance, reliability, etc. that a more expensive one often brings. The great thing is that there are SO many options out there. Seems that a big part of experience is the ability to try many different things until you find your personal sweet spot. As the saying goes, it's not the destination, it's the journey.

Looking forward to diving in and putting these two great razors through the paces.

-andrew
Just to add a little to what I said earlier, I was able to achieve a good shave with a lot of razors I owned in the past and some were better than others but when I purchased the Timeless it was a night / day difference in the shave from anything I'd used. Both, efficiency and smoothness, from the 1st shave. It was just another level and though I still had a couple razors along with the Timeless for 8-9 months, I came to the realization that everything else had to go because the Timeless was just so far beyond everything else I was using and would be disappointed to a sense when using a different razor and not getting the same thing the Timeless delivered... I do have another Timeless that I just received that is a SS95 Dual Comb to go alongside my Ti95 SB so I should be set for a lifetime. I think the only thing that could make me buy another razor someday would be if I had an incredible deal on a BBS-1 just happened to fall in my lap sometime...

Just to add a little to what I said earlier, I was able to achieve a good shave with a lot of razors I owned in the past and some were better than others but when I purchased the Timeless it was a night / day difference in the shave from anything I'd used. Both, efficiency and smoothness, from the 1st shave. It was just another level and though I still had a couple razors along with the Timeless for 8-9 months, I came to the realization that everything else had to go because the Timeless was just so far beyond everything else I was using and would be disappointed to a sense when using a different razor and not getting the same thing the Timeless delivered... I do have another Timeless that I just received that is a SS95 Dual Comb to go alongside my Ti95 SB so I should be set for a lifetime. I think the only thing that could make me buy another razor someday would be if I had an incredible deal on a BBS-1 just happened to fall in my lap sometime...

I've read that some notice a difference between the SS and Ti, describing the Ti as a "softer" shave. Interested in your thoughts based on the fact that you have the same blade gaps but in different metals. Did you ever consider getting one .68 and one .95 plate? I ask as I was thinking that although most seem to prefer the .95 having a .68 might be useful if you move to shaving daily or just want less aggressive shave on occasion. Not sure if that’s a valid way to think about it but I was curious as to how a combo .68 plate (smooth on one side and open comb on the other) would compliment a .95 scalloped plate. Seems like all of the bases would be covered assuming you stuck to a single metal. Perhaps having different metals are revised more of a range.

Again thanks for your comments.

-Andrew

I've read that some notice a difference between the SS and Ti, describing the Ti as a "softer" shave. Interested in your thoughts based on the fact that you have the same blade gaps but in different metals. Did you ever consider getting one .68 and one .95 plate? I ask as I was thinking that although most seem to prefer the .95 having a .68 might be useful if you move to shaving daily or just want less aggressive shave on occasion. Not sure if that’s a valid way to think about it but I was curious as to how a combo .68 plate (smooth on one side and open comb on the other) would compliment a .95 scalloped plate. Seems like all of the bases would be covered assuming you stuck to a single metal. Perhaps having different metals are revised more of a range.

Again thanks for your comments.

-Andrew
When I originally bought my Ti95 it also had a .68 base plate with it and I tried it a few times but it just wasn't for me. I also tried shaving daily but there just wasn't enough stubble to warrant a daily shave after switching to the Ti95 so I'm an every other day shaver as I mentioned above... The 5 O'clock shadow doesn't normally come in for at least 30 hrs for me so thats the reason I switched to every other day...

When I originally bought my Ti95 it also had a .68 base plate with it and I tried it a few times but it just wasn't for me. I also tried shaving daily but there just wasn't enough stubble to warrant a daily shave after switching to the Ti95 so I'm an every other day shaver as I mentioned above... The 5 O'clock shadow doesn't normally come in for at least 30 hrs for me so thats the reason I switched to every other day...

Ah, makes sense. The fact that you've tried and ruled out the .68 is great as you're able to better focus on what's the best setup or set options that fits your specific needs. I may need to at some point try the .68 to see the results but in the nearterm will focus on my technique and results with the .95 scalloped (base/cap) before introducing more variables.

Blade variation is next up. I've tried Feather and Kai so far and found that only a light touch is required (otherwise there will be blood!). Having recently visited Pasteur I picked up a selection of different 5 packs of blades. Will be interesting to see how things differ based on blade. I've read that the Timeless is not a blade-fussy razor.

-andrew

Ah, makes sense. The fact that you've tried and ruled out the .68 is great as you're able to better focus on what's the best setup or set options that fits your specific needs. I may need to at some point try the .68 to see the results but in the nearterm will focus on my technique and results with the .95 scalloped (base/cap) before introducing more variables.

Blade variation is next up. I've tried Feather and Kai so far and found that only a light touch is required (otherwise there will be blood!). Having recently visited Pasteur I picked up a selection of different 5 packs of blades. Will be interesting to see how things differ based on blade. I've read that the Timeless is not a blade-fussy razor.

-andrew
I have only used Shark SC, (my goto), Polsilver's, and Feather's in mine and I found that even in the Timeless I can't use Feather blades. It does nothing but tug and pull regardless of shallow, steep, middle, WTG, XTG, and god forbid ATG!! Pretty much Kai's are the same. I am stumped because it seems that almost anyone can use one of those and I can't regardless of razor!!

I have a box of Shark SCs and will give them a spin. I also picked up some Astra (green), Bolzano, Polsilver and Voskhod. Plenty to experiment with so will be interesting to see the variation.

-andrew

Top Bottom