What's new

A pleasant surprise

Well, today I decided to do something I thought I would never do again and that was pick up a new pack of Personna Barbers at the pharmacy near my work. Last time I bought a pack they were absolutely horrible and like shaving with broken glass! I've seen a lot of comments since then on how Barbers were a decent blade for many so I wondered if I just had a bad batch, so today I decided to try again. I loaded my 67 Slim adjustable with one and set it to a mild 3 and had my X3 on hand just in case I decided to dump it on the first stroke.

Fortunately, the shave went very well and I was pleased with how well the blade performed. It wasn't Personna Lab calibre but it was a decent shave and I couldn't complain. So it looks like the suspecion of them having a poor QA/QC system on the Barber lines is probalby correct. I'm hoping that the rest of the pack performs at least as well as this one but for now I'm happy that I gave it another try.

What country were these blade manufactured in?

That's where it gets rather interesting. The package says Israel and assembled in Mexico but the blades actually say "Made in USA" on them as the only writing. I'm assuming these are the American product but it is rather odd. The bad blades said USA on both the package and blades.

That's where it gets rather interesting. The package says Israel and assembled in Mexico but the blades actually say "Made in USA" on them as the only writing. I'm assuming these are the American product but it is rather odd. The bad blades said USA on both the package and blades.

USA > Israel > Mexico > Canada. You need to post this on the "How international was your shave today?" thread. :wink2:

USA > Israel > Mexico > Canada. You need to post this on the "How international was your shave today?" thread. :wink2:

LOL, add into the mix the Semogue from Portugal and the SV Cosmo from Italy. The AS was English Leather, which I think is American but I'll go with Britain just to add another country!:laugh:

Pretty sure I've tried these blade and use em with regularity.
sometimes rebranded with various store names. A pretty good blade.IMHO.

Pretty sure I've tried these blade and use em with regularity.
sometimes rebranded with various store names. A pretty good blade.IMHO.

They are usually cobranded from my understanding but they always have a plastic speed dispenser with a metal plate at the top and no printing on the blade except for two arrows and a note on "Made in USA" on the tab. They aren't up to the quality of Labs IMO but as long as they aren't bad blades (due to poor QC) they seem to be a good mid-range blade.

Are the Barbers the ones they sell at Sally's Beauty supply? I bought a five pack before, they came in a dispenser and had no labeling on the blades, only arrows. They gave me a good shave, but were a little tuggy on my neck. I want to revisit them soon since my technique and prep are better.

Are the Barbers the ones they sell at Sally's Beauty supply? I bought a five pack before, they came in a dispenser and had no labeling on the blades, only arrows. They gave me a good shave, but were a little tuggy on my neck. I want to revisit them soon since my technique and prep are better.

The ones I saw were but I think Dorco sells the same style of dispenser under cobranding as well. The place of manufacture should indicate that's its ASR/Personna since they are the only US producer of DE blades that I'm aware of.

Top Bottom