What's new

A Perfect Blade For My Fatip Quest.

This one will last a while. Bought a sample pack and will be burning through it to find the perfect blade. When I burn through it, I'll declare a winner. To make things with least surprise possible, I'll do the exact same 10 minute prep every morning (water rinse - hot towel - first lather for 5 minutes which i wash off and relather for shaving). As I have a special edition, I will try the blades in twos, one blade with a testina gentile, and one with the classic oc head. Every blade will be used three times, to see the durability.
The first blade to start will be Gillette Nacet.

The Fatip is truly an amazing razor (both CC and OC).
I've used Polsilver, Voskhod ,Nacet,Gsb,Gillette Platinum, Permasharp , Rapira, Bic Chrome , Supermax Titanium ,Wilkinson ,7 o'clock,Astra and some more. All these blades worked wonders with the Fatip.
The only ones i found lacking where Treet DuraSharp ,Israeli Personna , Bluebird,Concord, and Diamonds Pro.

I've not found the Fatips to be fussy about blades at all. I have a few favorites but have shaved with many different blades over the years and the Fatip gives great shaves with just about all. A shorter list for me would be ones to avoid.

I have the Fatips as you. I have tried around 10 different types of blades. I haven't found what works the best for me. However I get without a problem 2 weeks of shaves out of any blade.

The Shark Steinless hasn't worked that well, this one I know. I have some sharks left and don't know what to do with them.

You will be surprised I think by the design of these Fatips as it makes any blade work well in my opinion.

I have both Fatip razors as well. Most coated blades work equally well in both. Uncoated SS blades are less consistent in the Fatip razors in my experience.

Well, here goes the first test.

Gillette Nacet on Testina Gentile:

First two shaves went like hot knife through butter with barely visible signs of irritation post-shave. It seems sharp, yet smooth. I got two fantastic shaves, the third one maybe felt a little tuggy, but I got three good shaves out of it for sure.

Pros:
- seems very sharp, yet smooth
- not too aggressive to be a daily driver in Testina Gentile
- didn't feel like there's much difference on the first and second shave (aka breaking in), which was all to hard for me on Polsilver blades, which are tuggy as heck for me on my first shave, but good on second and third.

Cons:
- not so widely available in bulk packs in European web stores
- glue/wax on paper, so be careful unpacking

Overall, very sharp, smooth, and most importantly, consistent blade.

Next step: Three shaves with Nacet in the open comb Fatip.

I love nacets ss, they work great in almost every razor I have except the more aggressive ones.

Plus they are $10 per hundred if you order in bulk. For a razor that is 2nd only in sharpness to a feather its very smooth not astra smooth but it's really a great razor imo.

Sorry, due to some problems I could not post for a while, but managed to shave every day still.

After trying: Bolzano, Croma, Astra SP, Astra SS, Personna reds, Nacets, 7 O'clock yellows, Polsilvers, Sharks the decision boiled down to best quality shave with Testina Gentile, and the result is:

Astra SP!

The bulk pack has arrived.

Thanks all.

Top Bottom