What's new

A Pair of Klenzo Brushes

$IMG_5531.jpg$IMG_5532.jpg

I recently finished up restoring this pair of old Klenzo black and butterscotch handles. I love butterscotch Bakelite, and I especially like the "matching" pair aspect of these, and also that they "go" with my old Klenzo Razor and Blade combination gift pack. I set them both with TGN Finest knots. The larger B 1026 is set with an 18mm at 45mm loft; the smaller B 1024 took a 16mm set at 43mm loft. Unfortunately, the lettering on the 1026 is worn to the point where it is too shallow to retain much paint, so it didn't restore fully. But I really like the vintage character of both handles.

Klenzo, of course, is the house brand used by the Rexall Drug chain for their shaving items. They sold several different DE razors, a couple of varieties of blades and a bunch of different Klenzo branded brushes. You'll see the brushes around pretty commonly; I assume they were made by one or more of the major manufacturers of the day, i.e. Ever Ready, Made Rite, Rubberset, etc. as many of their brushes look very similar to brushes branded under other names.

The razor in the photos is the Klenzo combination set from the 1940s, which is basically a Barbasol non-floating head design. This design was also sold by a number of other re-sellers with different branding, including Royal Crown, Cooper and others. It's a fairly aggressive but great shaving razor. I will now always use one of my Klenzo brushes when it comes up in rotation. Just for the sake of authenticity. :thumbup1:

I've got a soft spot for Klenzo brushes, since I spent most of my allowance at a Rexall's drugs store as as kid (comics and candy). You did a great job an those! :thumbup:

Top Bottom