What's new

A Noob and his Blades

IMG_0902.jpeg

Second batch of sample blades arrived today! Why so many? I suppose a large part of the answer is that I’ve only been DE shaving for just under two months—that’s the Executive Summary. But as with most ES’s, it leaves out detail which many of us geeky types like.

What I should have done: My son gave me a VDH razor for Christmas which came with 5 VDH blades—he also gave me a Cremo gift pack with containing a horsehair brush (which I really like) and a tin of Reserve Blend (really like the scent!). Didn’t take me long to move on to other soaps, but that’s another post.

I should have stuck with the same blade and honed my technique first. My son likes Astra SP’s (I do, too), so that would have probably been a good set up to work with for a while. But, I’m human and a tad geeky. I wasn’t getting data I wanted. In my budding DE enthusiasm I forgot a key tenet of any scientific information gathering . . . you need a common baseline/reference point . . . a control. Between all the great stuff on B&B and all the guys on YouTube looking like they were having fun with it my brain stood up and declared “I want me some of that!”. Usually what brain wants, brain gets.

What I did do: Probably goes without saying I did the polar opposite of the above. Having said that, I did take the sage advice of many and ordered my first sample blades from tryablade.com. I’m still working through those blades, but here’s that list:
Astra Superior Platinum — used . . . really liked
Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharp Edge (yellow) — used . . . meh
Polsilver Super Iridium — haven’t tried yet
Shark Super Stainless — in current use . . . so far I really like them
Treat 7 Day Platinum — haven’t tried yet
Treet DuraSharp — used . . . not on my revisit list
Wilkinson Sword (German) — used . . . really liked
Persona Platinum (Israeli Red) — haven’t tried yet
Lord Super Stainless — used. . . . not entirely convinced about these, but will revisit

A little much for a newbie? Maybe. But if I’m not having fun what’s the point, right?

About mid-January I paid a visit to local shop Razor Emporium and spoke with Matt for a bit. Nice guy, really. But, when a kid walks into a candy store what are the chances he walks out empty handed? I headed home with a new Merkur 38C and a new puck of soap and some AS balm (Elvado Pacific Kahuna, if you must know).

Also saw his goodie boxes loaded with tucks of different blades. Sadly, I was a little like a teenager getting his first look at a Playboy. When in Rome, right? So I picked up a few more sample blades but in tucks this time instead of singles:
Gillette Perma-Sharps — haven’t tried yet
Rapira Platinum Lux — haven’t tried yet
Rapire Swedish Supersteel — haven’t tried yet
Astra SP’s—c’mon, they’re Astras! A known-good fallback option if I wanted.

Since I had visited these hallowed forums so often I finally signed up and continued to read up on all the different blades out there. I know many of them won’t necessarily be my cup of tea, but I won’t know unless I try them. Please don’t flame me for quoting Short Circuit, “Need input”.

The picture above extends this tale a bit further. All you guys floating opinions on this blade and that, how the hell is a geek supposed to resist?

So, my face and I have made an accord with the brain. We will try all these sample blades on the condition that the brain remembers to make detailed notes as we go along; brain was amenable to this arrangement, and now we are working on improving technique (getting better with every shave, I think) and documenting the journey.

Some of these blades I will revisit once my technique is consistently good. As some have pointed out it’s not entirely fair to say a blade sucks when it could just as well (if not more probably) be ones technique.

But along the way I’m enjoying the process of trying these out to discover my personal preferences, and hopefully I’ll have a solid opinion on a few ultimate faves by 2020 :001_smile

Once again, thanks to everyone for their perspectives and advice!

The Astra SP is a good benchmark blade so that should be your first 100 purchase. You will return to that blade many times whilst evaluating other blades. Testing blades over a long period won't help your technique so establish that first with a blade you like. I like to use a full tuck of a blade variety before coming to a view on the performance of a blade

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's a really low-grade sample pack.
I'm not sure I would have continued with DE shaving if I started out trying that lot.
Any decent sample pack should include Feathers, Polsilver, Personna of some sort, Astra SP's & some Gillette varieties.

As you mentioned, never judge a blade before you have revisited it after a year or so.
I bought a 100 pack of Wilkinson Sword a couple of years ago, didn't like them at all. Disliked them so much I actually PIFed them away, all but a single pack of 5 just in case. Revisited them maybe half year ago, they are now my favorites. I'm currently on #15 in the One blade in February, just excellent blades!
I'm glad I saved that tuck of blades :)

As you mentioned, never judge a blade before you have revisited it after a year or so.
I bought a 100 pack of Wilkinson Sword a couple of years ago, didn't like them at all. Disliked them so much I actually PIFed them away, all but a single pack of 5 just in case. Revisited them maybe half year ago, they are now my favorites. I'm currently on #15 in the One blade in February, just excellent blades!
I'm glad I saved that tuck of blades :)

Right now I think the only one I won't revisit is the Treet DuraSharp. My son gave me a Gillette Silver Blue that I wasn't bowled over by, but it was only my third blade, maybe three weeks into my DE experience. So I'll try them again at some point for sure.

Just went two days without shaving so I could map my grain. Won't bore with the details here, suffice to say the Shark Super Stainless I've had in the razor (on it's 4th go, no less) handled the extra day of growth like a champ. For being such economical blades I am impressed with them.

The main thing is to HAVE FUN!! (Looks like that’s what you are doing.) :a14::a14:

I really am. I never thought I'd enjoy shaving. It was always a need-to-do chore. Now I look forward to each morning so I can try a different blade or soap, or switch razors. I told my son it's a damn good thing I don't drink or do drugs because it allows me to pursue this new hobby that will likely last the rest of my days.

I like the gillette yellow better than the astra. And wilkinson was just mediocre to me.

At some point I'll revisit the yellows. I chose them because I read somewhere (I think in one of the forums here) the yellows were superior to the greens---I don't remember why though.

I really liked the German Wilkinsons so I'm curious as to how the India (Gillette) blade stacks up against it.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's a really low-grade sample pack.
I'm not sure I would have continued with DE shaving if I started out trying that lot.
Any decent sample pack should include Feathers, Polsilver, Personna of some sort, Astra SP's & some Gillette varieties.

Most of the blades I now have to try are what I have seen all over these forums and others. Some, like Cloud, Silver Star, and Laser I had never heard of before. I'm the curious type so I figure for a couple dimes or so I can try all kinds of stuff and determine what works or doesn't for me. I have Polsilver and Personna in my sample stack ready to try; not sure I'm entirely prepared for the Feather or Kai yet.

The Astra SP is a good benchmark blade so that should be your first 100 purchase. You will return to that blade many times whilst evaluating other blades. Testing blades over a long period won't help your technique so establish that first with a blade you like. I like to use a full tuck of a blade variety before coming to a view on the performance of a blade

I have 50 Astras on the way already . . . not that I need them yet, but I'm learning it never hurts to have a good safety net.

@DEPenguin, welcome to B&B!! My son got me into DE shaving (and collaborated with my wife) and gave me my first Astra SP blade (I tried using the blade that came with my first DE razor - Merkur - but because I was just starting, the results were horrible, and the Astra SP was much better blade to start with). I'm 3 years into the and still having a blast trying blades, soaps, razors, brushes, etc.!! Embrace the Adventure!! Go Nuts!!

2 of the blades in your sampler pic above (Derby Premium and Parker) are top-of-the-middle-tier blades for me, love them!! To my face, they're a whisker better than the Astra SP (and I think that the Derby Premium and Parker are actually the same blade).

PS. love the nostalgic theme of the ShaverBoy wrapper but haven't tried the

Thank you, Grundl :001_cool:

I think I have the "go nuts" part nailed! I have six full tins of different soaps and a slew of different blades to try. I have a 50pk of Astra SPs on the way, as well as a 11pk of Shark Chrome--and I'm glad to read you find Derby Premiums to be good because I just this morning found a 100pk on Amazon for $9.27 (free shipping) and I absolutely had to scratch the itch. I haven't even tried them yet, but I figure if I don't like them being out a ten-spot isn't going to break the bank, and I can PIF them.

Top Bottom