What's new

A Nice Buck

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My cousin Harvested this buck. Neither a trophy nor the Macho Grande but a nice buck.
My little one was ill. My father said he wasn't up to going. So I stayed home.
BUT we have until the end of January to get a few.
They are starting to move finally.
I cropped him out because I didn't figure he would want his photo going all over the world.

$image.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Why do I picture that buck saying WHAZZZZUPPPP!!! with his tongue stuck out like that. :tongue_sm
Been a LONG time since I have any fresh meat. Used to hunt moose when I was growing up in Newfoundland. Needless to say, not much moose around Toronto.

martym

Why do I picture that buck saying WHAZZZZUPPPP!!! with his tongue stuck out like that. :tongue_sm
Been a LONG time since I have any fresh meat. Used to hunt moose when I was growing up in Newfoundland. Needless to say, not much moose around Toronto.[/

no moose in South Texas either.

Been a LONG time since I have any fresh meat. Used to hunt moose when I was growing up in Newfoundland. Needless to say, not much moose around Toronto.

Drive 2hrs north and voila Moose! South Texas... bit further.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Fantastic! Do they still measure a nice buck by "points"?
What is that...12, 13 point buck?

martym

I say 12
Some people count differently.
but a nice one
I prefer meat and like to take out the cull bucks.

Toothpick,
Having been a midwestern country boy and joined the USAF to travel, I ended up in Montana for a while. I was accustomed to the whole number counting from back home but in the mountain west they will say 4x4 or 6x6. I like the mountain west methodology better as it more accuratly describes the structure of the deer, and takes into account non-typical racks like 4x6 etc. Gives a simpleton like me a better mental image of what the deer looks like without actually seeing a picture.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Toothpick,
Having been a midwestern country boy and joined the USAF to travel, I ended up in Montana for a while. I was accustomed to the whole number counting from back home but in the mountain west they will say 4x4 or 6x6. I like the mountain west methodology better as it more accuratly describes the structure of the deer, and takes into account non-typical racks like 4x6 etc. Gives a simpleton like me a better mental image of what the deer looks like without actually seeing a picture.

So that refers to 6 "points" on the left and 6 "points" on the right? 6x6.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I can tell you that here in TN that is a really nice buck.

Congratulations!

my neighbor in Murfreesboro! I've seen quite a few deer around here. lots of rural areas still even though the area is really populated with people.

Anything over a 1/4" counts as a point. It would score poorly as a typical buck but would be a nice non typical. Could count as many as 16 points. I'm sure there are more stubs up there I can't see in the pic.

So that refers to 6 "points" on the left and 6 "points" on the right? 6x6.
Exactly.
Also, dont confuse "points" as a method used to "score" a rack. The Boone and Crocket method used to score an animal is like a mythical science equation that can also be used to calculate fuel needed to send the shuttle into orbit.

martym

Nice! I am going Thursday night. A friend asked me to take him hog hunting at night cuz he's never done it. Who am I to say no?

Top Bottom