What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Welcome to Lambda land! The razor really is an enigma. When you get the angle and pressure correct, it is astoundingly efficient. Too much pressure though can make it bite. The beauty of the design to my eye is on another level.

And congrats on the second job! 😉
Thanks Mitch! I have been looking from the side lines for a year now since it first came out - what a beauty! And as the LOTH usually says - when memorable events take place it’s a good idea to have something to hold the memory even more. And so that’s what happened.

I am shaving with it for the rest of May to get to know it better. I am totally with you on the angle. I think when I have that dialled in this is likely to be my most efficient shave to date.

If I were really rational I would sell all razors but my Ti95 and the Athena and call it a day. But I have been tested in the past - I apparently know how to switch off my rationality. And this is a hobby addiction obsession after all!

Cheers,

Guido

Date27.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE147/365 (100%)
147/363 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
27/29 (94%)
27/31 (100%)
Modern May22/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
Gillette Black (18)Omega Super Badger
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

I am using the Athena a couple of times to get to know it better. The blade is on its 18th shave today. Yesterday felt really good still so the blade deserves at least one more go. One of the reasons I believe the blade performed so well yesterday is of the blade clamping and thus rigidity by the Athena. It is insanely tight akin to the Razorine Flatboy, but because there is no particular blade gap and by Theo’s design there is also no chatter. That makes for a solid shave during passes.

Spectacular shave! Three passes to BBS or DFS+++ nice burn from the Proraso Green aftershave signalling this was a very close shave. I noticed today that the razor retains water even if you shake it which I also saw yesterday, but today it was more pronounced especially ATG. It changed the audio feedback of the razor.

The Blade is still performing and will be on 19 tomorrow. Very little wear if you ask me. I felt some tugging under my nose but that was about it. I seriously think the razor’s design has something to do with it.

Consistent technique. The tucking in my chin and then bullfrogging my cheeks in combination with the Athena gave me the smoothest jaw line this month or even year I believe. This Sun Ray Pattern is also rather efficient in its execution.

A serious competitor to my Ti95 although I don’t think it will even be dethroned. They can live happily ever after side by side. These razors are never leaving the collection as there is too much emotion attached to them. Both found their way here on momentous occasions. But I have more razor that have emotion attached to them. I might even put them in my will. I seriously think there are only one or two, three max that are just razors to me. The rest although I might use them more infrequently bring up fond memories or scavenger hunt victories.

Had way too much lather after the Omega was done with the soap, but it was slick and smooth just as I like it.

Enjoy your shave.

Date27.05.2023
147/363 (99%)
27/29 (94%)
27/31 (100%)
Modern May22/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
Gillette Black (18)Omega Super Badger
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort

Notes to these shaves:

I am using the Athena a couple of times to get to know it better. The blade is on its 18th shave today. Yesterday felt really good still so the blade deserves at least one more go. One of the reasons I believe the blade performed so well yesterday is of the blade clamping and thus rigidity by the Athena. It is insanely tight akin to the Razorine Flatboy, but because there is no particular blade gap and by Theo’s design there is also no chatter. That makes for a solid shave during passes.

Spectacular shave! Three passes to BBS or DFS+++ nice burn from the Proraso Green aftershave signalling this was a very close shave. I noticed today that the razor retains water even if you shake it which I also saw yesterday, but today it was more pronounced especially ATG. It changed the audio feedback of the razor.

The Blade is still performing and will be on 19 tomorrow. Very little wear if you ask me. I felt some tugging under my nose but that was about it. I seriously think the razor’s design has something to do with it.

Consistent technique. The tucking in my chin and then bullfrogging my cheeks in combination with the Athena gave me the smoothest jaw line this month or even year I believe. This Sun Ray Pattern is also rather efficient in its execution.

A serious competitor to my Ti95 although I don’t think it will even be dethroned. They can live happily ever after side by side. These razors are never leaving the collection as there is too much emotion attached to them. Both found their way here on momentous occasions. But I have more razor that have emotion attached to them. I might even put them in my will. I seriously think there are only one or two, three max that are just razors to me. The rest although I might use them more infrequently bring up fond memories or scavenger hunt victories.

Had way too much lather after the Omega was done with the soap, but it was slick and smooth just as I like it.

Enjoy your shave.
Are you stropping the blade too or just loaded and left ? Cheers

Date27.05.2023
147/363 (99%)
27/29 (94%)
27/31 (100%)
Modern May22/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena :001_wub:
Gillette Black (19)Zenith 502B XSE :001_wub:
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG
XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash

4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort

Notes to these shaves:

Another top tier shave with the Athena. Maybe faintly less than yesterday, but there was also less stubble to deal with than yesterday. If I wasn’t a daily shaver I could have skipped the shave. The blade continues to perform so I will grant its 20 shave as well and we’ll see what tomorrow brings after that.

I followed up on Adam’s @flask28 observation that the Athena asked for a slow stroke. It got him super results and therefore it warranted replicating for science sake. While the slower stroke made me more aware of the angle I also had the idea I lost the audio feedback. And somehow because of my steeper angle to begin with I had the idea it was less effective for me overall. I am sure I didn’t do it like Adam did, so might need repeating to be sure. For this shave I switched back to short and more brisk strokes. Audio feedback returned I am familiar with from the Razorine and the Athena process to be a first class act again. Especially ATG the sound is super noticeable. Or simply not able to be ignored.

Brush and lather were wonderful. The Zenith shed 4 hairs today - should I be worried? I am still figuring out what the best way to dry my brushes is. I usually hang them on stands but lately I have tried to let them simply stand on their own - so basically a question of knot up or down. No idea which is better or best.

Enjoy your shave!

Date27.05.2023
147/363 (99%)
27/29 (94%)
27/31 (100%)
Modern May22/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
001_wub.gif
class="smilie" loading="lazy" alt=":001_wub:" title="001 Wub :001_wub:" data-shortname=":001_wub:" />
Gillette Black (19)Zenith 502B XSE
001_wub.gif
class="smilie" loading="lazy" alt=":001_wub:" title="001 Wub :001_wub:" data-shortname=":001_wub:" />
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG
XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash

4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort

Notes to these shaves:

Another top tier shave with the Athena. Maybe faintly less than yesterday, but there was also less stubble to deal with than yesterday. If I wasn’t a daily shaver I could have skipped the shave. The blade continues to perform so I will grant its 20 shave as well and we’ll see what tomorrow brings after that.

I followed up on Adam’s @flask28 observation that the Athena asked for a slow stroke. It got him super results and therefore it warranted replicating for science sake. While the slower stroke made me more aware of the angle I also had the idea I lost the audio feedback. And somehow because of my steeper angle to begin with I had the idea it was less effective for me overall. I am sure I didn’t do it like Adam did, so might need repeating to be sure. For this shave I switched back to short and more brisk strokes. Audio feedback returned I am familiar with from the Razorine and the Athena process to be a first class act again. Especially ATG the sound is super noticeable. Or simply not able to be ignored.

Brush and lather were wonderful. The Zenith shed 4 hairs today - should I be worried? I am still figuring out what the best way to dry my brushes is. I usually hang them on stands but lately I have tried to let them simply stand on their own - so basically a question of knot up or down. No idea which is better or best.

Enjoy your shave!
Guido, I give my brush a good rinse, a good shake while pinching at the base of the knot, a quick swipe of the towel while maintaining the pinch at the base of the knot, and then hang the brush knot down for a day before returning it to my knot rack with knot up. Just my own process! 😊👍💈

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I clean my brushes well... thump them (well, the knots.. not handles, of course and I do it gently) on the side of the sink until the water drops subside... then towel dry. I have enough brushes I love so they get a good drying before the next use. I rotate my SV brushes for the most part... and throw in the Zenith Manchurian badger every so often so it doesn't feel neglected.

Oh, and I do comb my brushes... CCS converted me before he made his exit.

Guido, I give my brush a good rinse, a good shake while pinching at the base of the knot, a quick swipe of the towel while maintaining the pinch at the base of the knot, and then hang the brush knot down for a day before returning it to my knot rack with knot up. Just my own process! 😊👍💈

I clean my brushes well... thump them (well, the knots.. not handles, of course and I do it gently) on the side of the sink until the water drops subside... then towel dry. I have enough brushes I love so they get a good drying before the next use. I rotate my SV brushes for the most part... and throw in the Zenith Manchurian badger every so often so it doesn't feel neglected.

Oh, and I do comb my brushes... CCS converted me before he made his exit.
That’s about the same routine I have. Well minus the combing. Only did that with my boars.

Thanks!

Date29.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE149/365 (100%)
149/363 (99%)
29/29 (94%)
29/31 (100%)
Modern May24/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
Gillette Black (20)Omega Proraso
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG
XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS-)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Brought the Gillette Black to 20 shaves today. What a fantastic blade this is turning out to be. Totally different from the first one I tried.

Growth is still less than usual evidencing the effectiveness of the Athena razor. The shave was as I have come to expect of the Athena - I have to be careful not to find it boring! It is less effective than yesterday because the operator felt slightly rushed by events outside the den. But even taking that into consideration still an excellent shave.

Brush and lather were a dynamic duo. Haslinger is on the inexpensive side of soaps, but it pushes way above its weight. I still don’t think J will be stocking up as there are equally nice alternatives available from other places. And I need to use what I have first, so call me back in 3-4 years. Haha!

Enjoy your shave!

Date30.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE150/365 (100%)
150/363 (99%)
30/29 (94%)
30/31 (100%)
Modern May25/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCL
Gillette Black (21)Razorock 400
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG
XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort

Notes to these shaves:

Nothing but top tier gear today. I wanted to alternate with the Athena so I could get some sense of differences and similarities. And there are more similarities then differences. A major difference (starting the obvious here) is the blade gap and blade exposure. Larger and positive on the Ti95. Another difference in my case is with weight (I know a dead giveaway). But that’s about as far as I can go for the moment. Similarities are that both deliver exquisitely close and comfortable shaves. I will give the notch today to the Ti95 giving me just a little bit of that marble feeling in my cheeks.

Today’s shave was amazing. Smooth, comfortable and the Sun Ray Pattern is paying dividends in spades. Both razors work really well in this way. I have revisited my rotation spreadsheet trying to figure out how to best use both razors while also avoid neglecting the others (RRA is soaring!!). Clearly a sign I really don’t need more razors! And I actually don’t so that’s good.

The Razorock 400. What can I say. Bliss. Great lather today as well from Haslinger. Only one more day in May and the puck it still going strong. I have reached the bottom but I think I might see all of June with this soap as well. It will be about 80-90 shaves in total - my guestimate.

Enjoy your shave!

Date31.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE151/365 (100%)
151/363 (99%)
31/29 (94%)
31/31 (100%)
Modern May26/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
Gillette Black (22)Kox Blue Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG
XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Last shave for May and I felt I have already stepped into High Efficiency Summer as stubble again is less than usual shaving with the Athena and Ti95 this week. So considered to do a last minute switch to my Tech, but decided to do that for another time and finish on a high with the Athena.

What I did not finish is Haslinger and it will continue its appearance until gone in June. I really wanted to switch, but I have plans for the tub Haslinger is in (transferring Tabac to it) so that’s why I will ride it out. Kox Blue is a great little brush that I thoroughly enjoy using. I am tempted to buy a new brush, but that can hardly be concealed from the LOTH on my brush shelf. She is however super forgiving towards my mishaps in this hobby. :001_wub: At least till now.

Technique - was interesting this morning. I started out thinking I’d do a two pass shave XTG and ATG figuring that the Athena would be able to pull that off. But I learned two things. 1. The Sun Ray Pattern works for a reason and so my first pass for me needs to be WTG to get that initial reduction in a smooth and comfortable way. Right off the bat XTG was rougher and slightly tugging (at least today and with this blade), but after the adjustment back to WTG I was in slide and glide mode again. 2. I am a sucker for a BBS-ish shave and even with the Athena I need three passes. Do I always get it - no - strive for it without obsessively chasing it - definitely! Something to research some other time: how to get slick and smooth in two passes.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom