What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

I can totally relate to that. Get the same feelings with the Baume.be. Probably in a few hundreds of shaves with the Tabac as well. Then I wonder: do these guys never use their own products?
Definitely! There are that really do, but there are definitely some that just make stuff and never ever test drive at all. That can at times truly bother me. First order problems…

Date19.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE139/365 (100%)
139/364 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
19/30 (97%)
19/31 (100%)
Modern May14/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Piccolo Gentile mixed metal
Gillette Black (8)Zenith 502B XSE
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash Proraso Green preshave
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)9.5/10 (super tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS++)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

A simple gentle shave with the Fatip Gentile. Smooth sailing and a nice end result.

Technique is dialling in and I like it!

Soap is both heading to 3017 and it will be a long time coming to actually finish it. I need little product for maximum lather. Enjoyed my nee boar brush. It shed a hair today no biggy.

I know I said RAD was dead and I think it still is, but I have spotted a Short Comb that might just make it to the collection.

Enjoy your shave!

Date20.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE140/365 (100%)
140/363 (99%)
20/29 (94%)
20/31 (100%)
Modern May15/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCL
Gillette Black (9)Omega Super Badger
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)9.5/10 (super tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS++)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Weekend shave #1 and time for my Timeless again :001_wub: The Gillette blade is really smoothening out and getting into performance. This is the second blade I am using (I think) and the first that should make it into double digits.

Technique - continuing the Sun Ray Pattern and today I (again) honed in on my jaw line and upper lip approach. I have been prone to tiny weepers with this blade in both areas. So after the passes on the cheeks I lifted my skin to do a WTG on the jaw line. New additions to the party were to also do skin lifting during XTG and I tucked my chin in while bullfrogging my cheeks to better accommodate XTG on my neck. I definitely feel less irritation or burning even though the Ti95 is an aggressive/effective positive exposure razor. And feather light touch was used throughout the shave. The Ti95 is brilliant at sporting that.

Lather was perfect again. As Haslinger softened up now that the puck is turning into mousse I used a spoon to assist me in getting the amount of soap right. I think Haslinger has another month of good lather after May.

After yesterday’s post I went back online and saw the NEW SC hadn’t attracted any attention. So after going a little bit back and forth I decided to follow through and got the razor. This was the last razor I had on my list (I decided to subside my feelings for Karve CB). It should arrive in June if all goes well.

Enjoy your shave!

Date21.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE141/365 (100%)
141/363 (99%)
21/29 (94%)
21/31 (100%)
Modern May16/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 2.0 II
Gillette Black (10+11)Omega Proraso
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
6.5/10 (DFS-)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

The GC2 is a mega effective razor and therefore I decided to tone it down a little today and do a 2.5 pass shave (ATG on the cheeks only). I did use the Sun Ray Pattern which is working out extremely well for my skin. Very happy with this personal discovery. I am embarking on a journey now to find out if I can get equally fine shaves across all my razors. The GC is perhaps the most effective razor I have in my collection. Even more effective than my Ti95, but also the one that can cause me irritations and or nicks when going ATG. I even considered if the GC would be a perfect travel razor replacing my nickel Piccolo.

I had (too) much lather so I decided to do a Sunday head shave as well. Comfortably smooth sailing for a one pass WTG. CCS on the head which is pretty ok in my book when paired with no nicks, cuts or any irritations.

Continuing tidying the garden. Large hedge done yesterday so the smaller ones are up for today.

Enjoy your shave.

Last edited:
Date22.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE142/365 (100%)
142/363 (99%)
22/29 (94%)
22/31 (100%)
Modern May17/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Frankenrazor:
R41, OT cap, Razorine handle
Gillette Black (12))Razorock 400
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Like the GC the R41 is a super effective razor. Growth was decent given the 2.5 pass yesterday. I used the Old Type thick cap as per my suggestion to @Happy Jack. He reported the razor to become more like the 2011 version of the R41. So being warned of aggression I proceeded with extra care and decided to minimise my ATG activities (except I didn’t). Maybe ATG wasn’t even necessary.

First pass was a bit tugging, but that could have been the blade. Feather light touch which the Razorine handle lets me do despite the fact that it’sa heavy handle. Second pass XTG was buttery smooth and I could really feel the razor glide. I noticed that stubble remained on my neck - at least more than with the GC2 yesterday. So I decided to do an ATG anyway, but very mildly and only neck and cheeks. Two very minute weepers on the chin/neck. I let the chin and mouth area be. My cheeks are near marble like I expect the R41 to deliver. The rest a nice smooth shave. Smooth enough to last throughout the day anyway. And overall slightly better than the GC2.

Technique - Sun Ray Pattern worked like a charm and assisted the R41 not to be overly aggressive or bity. Skin lifting the jaw line is a winner in my shave results, again and again - why I stopped doing it after the first couple of months no idea.

Lather was what I expected from the Razorock 400: excellent and luxurious. I definitely used too much product. Dialling in tomorrow on right amounts.

Enjoy your shave!

Date23.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE143/365 (100%)
143/363 (99%)
23/29 (94%)
23/31 (100%)
Modern May18/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCL
Gillette Black (13+14)Kox Blue Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
6.5/10 (DFS-)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Every time I pick up one of my razors my eyes are automatically drawn to this razor - and at times I feel a little uncomfortable not shaving with it daily. And then again using it is always like coming home and brings me just time of pure and utter joy. Today is no different.

The blade is warming up to more shaves although yesterday the first pass was a little rough. Not today however as it slides over my skin - both face and head shaves were amazingly smooth.

Technique - concentrating on skin lifting the jaw line and tugging my chin in while bullfrogging my cheeks on the final ATG pass. All the while maintaining a feather light touch. It worked out pretty well. One weeper on the upper lip for too much pressure, but it disappeared during the final pass and rinsing.

I decreased the amount of soap I lathered and still got excellent slick lather to work with. The Kox Blue is about as good as my Razorock 400 minus the floppy knot. The Blue packs enormous backbone and you really have to use pressure to get out to splay. I had enough lather for a one pass head shave too. Great brush.

Enjoy your shave!

Date24.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE144/365 (100%)
144/363 (99%)
24/29 (94%)
24/31 (100%)
Modern May19/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine Flatboy /w KCG handle
Gillette Black (15)DVH Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

The Flatboy can be a hit and miss razor for me, but pairing it with the KCG handle and using a more shallow angle is to me like I have cracked its code. And the last couple of shaves with it were simply amazing. The Flatboy is uncompromising in its shaves, but if you respect it and go slowly (this is in my view definitely not a quick shave and out the door kind of razor) it provides you very close and comfortable shaves. All brass and stainless for under $60 - what more could you want, right?

The blade is going on and on, but I noticed some irritation of my skin around the corners of my mouth where I think a fresh blade may provide a more clean cut. This is outside of this blade by the way, I have noticed it with other blades as well and I have also skipped those areas in previous shaves. Or change the direction of my strokes.

Speaking of which - Sun Ray Pattern again. Consistent with last time. I varied my neck strokes slightly I noticed. During the XTG I tend to use more slanted strokes, but that could also be an adjustment to this particular razor.

The knot of this brush came undone last week and thanks to B&B I already knew my solution so I just silicone I had laying around to reset the knot - all parameters were kept the same. Haslinger is amazing and going strong. Definitely a keeper for me - well not now during 3017, but you get the idea!

Enjoy your shave!

Date25.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE145/365 (100%)
145/363 (99%)
25/29 (94%)
25/31 (100%)
Modern May20/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCL
Gillette Black (16)Simpson T3
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Superb shave today with excellent gear. I couldn’t retire the blade so today saw performance number 16. Still working. One edge slightly more present then the other, but no tugging or pulling.

Technique - consistent with yesterday. No ATG on the upper lip and lower chin. This prevents weepers and I still feel sufficiently smooth. Sun Ray Pattern working like a charm in combination with skin pulling on the jaw line and a mostly N-S approach (WTG, XTG) on my neck.

Lather and brush were a good combination as well. Brush shed a hair today?! Never had that happen with a synthetic brush. The new lather bowl works very well with this Simpson. Of all my brushes this is definitely the most dense knot.

Enjoy your shave.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guido,

I noticed the other day, you mentioned you equate (my word) the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 with the R41 in aggressiveness. I'm interested in your opinion... or for further comments and observations. I have the R41, later edition/model, along with an RR SLOC head to use the top cap along with the R41. I haven't tried it and it looks like I'm going to send it to @Eric_75 along with some other stuff I have laying around.

I have very limited experience, as you know, but I haven't found the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 any more aggressive than my other top razors.... I thought they were all mild-medium efficiency razors.

Where does the Timeless Ti 95 SlC fit in your pantheon of efficiency?

Guido,

I noticed the other day, you mentioned you equate (my word) the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 with the R41 in aggressiveness. I'm interested in your opinion... or for further comments and observations. I have the R41, later edition/model, along with an RR SLOC head to use the top cap along with the R41. I haven't tried it and it looks like I'm going to send it to @Eric_75 along with some other stuff I have laying around.

I have very limited experience, as you know, but I haven't found the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 any more aggressive than my other top razors.... I thought they were all mild-medium efficiency razors.

Where does the Timeless Ti 95 SlC fit in your pantheon of efficiency?
Did I? I might have yes, but I am having a momentary lapse of reason.

Let’s see, the R41 is a rather aggressive razor and by aggression I mean effectiveness. In that sense I do feel the GC2 II to be equally aggressive - it can deliver a marble shave in 2.5-3 passes easily. The main difference for me is that the GC2 is much smoother than the R41. The R41 can have that reading feeling and I understand that using a SLOC cap mitigates that significantly, but I don’t have such a cap. The positive blade exposure of the GC2 does keep me on my toes a little more than the R41 (that razor is just what you see is what you get).

The Ti95 is usually more of a three pass razor depending on the blade. Definitely blade feel and the gap is much larger too. And the Ti95 to me is smoother and more comfortable. And then again I may be going for the passes simply because I want to hold the razor a little longer!

Cheers and welcome home Kim!

Guido

Date26.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE146/365 (100%)
146/363 (99%)
26/29 (94%)
26/31 (100%)
Modern May21/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
Gillette Black (17)Omega Roma
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
7.5/10 (DFS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

First facial shave with the Athena. Bought for a special occasion and that occasion occurred yesterday. The blade gave such a great performance yesterday I just had to reward that with another shave. And again it performed marvellous.

The Lambda is an enigmatic piece of engineering. The angle is intuitive and yet not autopilot so there are areas where I could have been more effective with a different angle or I could have maintained the angle better (I think I have had moments where I was just moving lather around). As opposed to my previous head shaves I had little to none blade feel even though I was well aware the blade was there. This first shave was moderately efficient in the sense that I might have been prepared for a 2 pass shave, but today 3 passes were necessary to get the job done. However, after rinsing and cleaning up I noticed that parts of my face were either in or approaching marble status telling me that when I get the angle right this will be an even more effective razor.

Other interesting observations were that when rinsing the razor some residual water is retained - even when shaking the razor. This water somehow is subsequently released during the passes acting as additional lubricator on the lather. I believe @Mr. Shavington first reported this feature. Fascinating.

Finally, I am already very glad to have squared the corners of the baseplate. During dry shaves I noticed the original baseplate left stretch marks on my skin. Today was just smooth sailing all the way. Amazing razor. Does it blow all the other razors out of the water? Not yet at least, but most certainly a top tier razor in my collection. I think the Ti95 and Athena are equals in smoothness and comfort. The Ti95 is my favourite design, but the Athena is a very close second. I think it’s in the same ballpark as the GC2 - slightly smoother and slightly more comfortable. And I had the idea the Athena is more manoeuvrable compared to the GC2. Compared to the R41 the Athena wins. I would say it’s a velvet R41. This is by no means a knock on the R41 though as the production is totally different, materials are different, and design is different. Which maybe even speaks in favour of the R41 - I think I paid €18 for the head and it’s one of my favourite razors.

Brush and soap were great supporters in the shave. Amazing lather, could have been a tad more slick, but the Athena with its secret feature took care of that!

Enjoy your shave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom