RazorBladeBrush
Razorine FlatboyTiger Platinum (4)Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashAreffa Phantom of Kyiv
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
6.5/10 (DFS-)7/10 (comfortable-ish)

Notes to today’s shave:

Rotated back to my original setting for SWS with the Flatboy and a Tiger on its fourth shave. I paired the razor with the handle from my new Green Cult and I believe they work very nice together.

The star of this shave is without a doubt the first time use of this Areffa soap. This soap put me out of GRUME in December and I received it in January. My Christmas contribution to an entrepreneurial woman making shaving soaps in the most challenging circumstances. This is an amazing soap:001_wub:. I have never felt anything softer and slicker on my skin. Almost like applying whipped cream. Super glide and cushioning. Zero idea what the scent is. Between light and heavy, flowery, no clue. LOTH commented “it’s ok - but I just really like Proraso, that’s all” - so much for SAD 😬😁!

I hadn’t used this brush for a while as I was playing Shave Yahtzee so I decided to bring it out again. It makes for fabulous lather even though this is one of the cheapest brushes I have. Usually in action during travelling.

Technique consistent with other February shaves. Went as less ATG s as I could. No BBS at all, I’m some places not even DFS, but it was a nice reintroduction to the Flatboy.

Enjoy your shave today!

This combination makes a beautiful razor.
I guess the bad performance is due to the blade, not the razor?

Date05.02.2023
365 days of shaving36/365 (100%)
GRUYERE36/365 (100%)
GRUME February05/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes4
XWTG (2)Cheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTG (2)Cheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine FlatboyTiger Platinum (5)Kox Blue Synthetic
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
EffectivenessComfort
5/10 (CCS)7/10 (comfortable-ish)

Notes to today’s shave:

Did some journal reading on the Flatboy and concluded that I had mostly great shaves with it. Except when paired - wait for it - with a Tiger. Then results vary. So with that new knowledge I set out for another shave. Also back to Bergamot in my objective to bring it to 50 shaves.

The Tiger is clearly over the top in terms of performance as I need more passes to get the job done. I steered clear from going overly ATG (some in the neck) hence the end result of CCS - which in my book is kind of sub standard (although comfortable and without injuries is always a good thing), but the point of today’s shave was to learn more about the angle or sweet spot for this razor and I did. It’s more neutral than I actually thought or at least with this blade.

What I have learned from past shaves is that it makes a huge difference if I load this blade in a razor that gives good shaves with it from the start - like my Piccolo. I like to believe it sets the bevel of the blade somehow and then it performs. Switching it around in different razors is something this blade handles less well.

Soap and brush performed fine today. Started out a little under on water but that was easily fixed. Sufficient lather for four passes.

Enjoy your Sunday shave!

Last edited:
Date06.02.2023
365 days of shaving37/365 (100%)
GRUYERE37/365 (100%)
GRUME February06/28 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3 and touch ups
XWTGCheeks: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle R41Tiger Platinum (6)Omega Roma Capitolina
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
EffectivenessComfort
4.5/10 (CCS-)7/10 (comfortable-ish)

Notes to today’s shave:

Perhaps against better judgment, but the Tiger got paired today with the R41 for a sixth (and during the shaving apparent) and final run. The R41 tamed the Tiger into performance, but the previous 5 shaves already took the edge off the blade and its performance was sub standard for me. It got the job done, but by the time I did the third pass I had the idea that no matter how much 0strokes and buffing I would do, stubble would remain. So the end result was a mere SAS on the neck and chin, and CCS- on cheeks and upper lip. Still - no weepers, cuts or nicks and it was even more comfortable in the R41 as opposed to the Flatboy. I think I will use OBiF to experiment which razors work best with this razor. I already have a good handle on the vintage Gillettes (who all make the Tiger perform, with the NEW Improved and NEW Flat Bottom delivering BBS shaves) and for February and SWS I have selected a number of razors that have never met the Tiger yet, including my beloved Ti95.

Enjoy your shave today!

BOSC Statistics:

I scrolled through my paper shaving notes and took stock of which razor I used when from July 2022 up to and including January 2023. This is my top 5:
  1. Fatip SE / Fatip SB (19%)
  2. Gillette Flat Bottom Tech (17%)
  3. Razorine Flatboy / Mühle R41 (14%)
  4. Timeless Ti95 (12%)
  5. Gillette NEW Flat Bottom (6%)
Not all razors were part of my collection in equally long periods so relatively speaking some have more mileage than others in this top 5.

This information helps me to select razors for February and March.

Last edited:
Date07.02.2023
365 days of shaving38/365 (100%)
GRUYERE38/365 (100%)
GRUME February07/28 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3 and touch ups

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (1)Razorock Plissoft 400
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tabac
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)8/10 (smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

A fantastic shave today!! Wonderful. This rivals with the best shaves I have had with this blade. The Timeless disciplined the Tiger into performance and perform it did. Smooth, comfortable, irritation free and best of all as good a BBS as any.

The Plissoft took to Tabac and turned it into a lather bomb - I could have done 6 passes if I wanted to. Super slick and rich lather painted on my face. Love it. The scent is too heavy for me (LOTH picked it up immediately) and I have finally taken Guido’s (@JAHE - I wasn’t talking to my self this time) advice and put the jar in the front garden to air it out.

Technique was similar to before. Straight strokes and oblique on the W-E passes. Went ATG on the chin and upper lip areas - was good with no accidents.

I needed this shave after a number of mediocre ones. And I know my razors are all BBS capable ones so I put this on the blade. I will use the Timeless for the remainder of the week to see where she can take this blade.

Enjoy your shave today!

I thought it was "one blade" month, not One-type blade month!
As per the rules:

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

I tried and pushed as hard as I could with the first blade but it was done. The max I usually get is 7. Had fun and abided the no rules rule - so blade two is up! And I am curious how far the Timeless will take this one.

And what I learned from earlier shaves is that the Tiger works best when you load it into a razor and stick with that razor. As soon as you migrate to other razors the blade turns against you. Best options so far were my Fatip and NEW Improved. And as of today I would rank the Ti95SCL in there too.

Cheers,

Guido

Date08.02.2023
365 days of shaving39/365 (100%)
GRUYERE39/365 (100%)
GRUME February08/28 (100%)
Other participations

Passes2.5

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (2)DVH Synthetic
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~29 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)8/10 (smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

A second run of the Ti95SCL with the Tiger. And again a very nice and enjoyable shave.

I went back to the Geo routine of 2.5 passes and got a nice DFS with BBS characteristics on the cheeks. There is minor stubble left on the jaw line and under the chin. No irritations, weepers or similar mishaps.

Lather was good and towards the dryer side but manageable. The DVH is my smallest brush, maybe too small both in knot and loft. Makes a great travel brush. The reason I do use it is because it is great a lathering! But perhaps I’d better bowl than face lather next time with it.

Technique consistent. I really like this approach where I am mostly shaving XTG with W or A as directional beacons which saves my time and irritations. Funny experiment actually.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date09.02.2023
365 days of shaving40/365 (100%)
GRUYERE40/365 (100%)
GRUME February09/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (3)Simpson T3
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)8/10 (smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

The third run of Ti95SCL and the Tiger. Smooth as the two times before. No mishaps again and a nice DFS with BBS hints as a result. Very happy shaver here.

The Tiger made it clear that it will not survive the entire month of February, but the Ti95 is a razor that can tame the Tiger in a similar fashion as the Fatip Piccolo. Very happy about that!

Technique pretty standard. I caught myself doing one or two Gillette Slides but other than that straight forward really. With the ATG pass I did an E-W in an upward fashion (more diagonal which is true ATG for me). That helps in getting everything smooth with a milder blade. The chin area is a mix of N-S and W-E or up/down left/right if you will. Still indecisive which is better in reduction of stubble. At least with the Tiger left/right is less tugging s as far s as I can tell.

Some light stinging on the jaw line while rinsing between passes, but lost shave no nicks or cuts spotted. Stinging was gone after the final face wash and rinse.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date10.02.2023
365 days of shaving41/365 (100%)
GRUYERE41/365 (100%)
GRUME February10/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (4)Omega Proraso
Cold splashMWF
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS)7.5/10 (comfortable)

Notes to today’s shave:

The fourth run of Ti95SCL and the Tiger. And again a comfortable and smooth shave with a nice DFS end result. The blade’s performance is wavering. I think it has shaves left and is in better shape than the first blade I used.

Chin and moustache areas favour oblique or slanted strokes above straight ones to increase comfort and effectiveness. I did not straight strokes today to check the difference and have some stubble remaining after the shave there. Cheeks and neck are fine with straight strokes. I used short strokes again and made them ultra short this shave - bordering on buffing. This increases blade longevity. What I also have been doing these past shaves is only pad the blade dry rather than whiping it like I usually do. That appears to have some merit to it for this blade at least.

Fat Friday again and I used my boar to lather up. In keeping with advice I received earlier I loaded heavy with the Fat and brought it to my face for working up a nice and silky lather. This boar is still hogging and today even shed two hairs. I like my synth brushes better.

Enjoy your shaves!

Date10.02.2023
365 days of shaving41/365 (100%)
GRUYERE41/365 (100%)
GRUME February10/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (4)Omega Proraso
Cold splashMWF
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS)7.5/10 (comfortable)

Notes to today’s shave:

The fourth run of Ti95SCL and the Tiger. And again a comfortable and smooth shave with a nice DFS end result. The blade’s performance is wavering. I think it has shaves left and is in better shape than the first blade I used.

Chin and moustache areas favour oblique or slanted strokes above straight ones to increase comfort and effectiveness. I did not straight strokes today to check the difference and have some stubble remaining after the shave there. Cheeks and neck are fine with straight strokes. I used short strokes again and made them ultra short this shave - bordering on buffing. This increases blade longevity. What I also have been doing these past shaves is only pad the blade dry rather than whiping it like I usually do. That appears to have some merit to it for this blade at least.

Fat Friday again and I used my boar to lather up. In keeping with advice I received earlier I loaded heavy with the Fat and brought it to my face for working up a nice and silky lather. This boar is still hogging and today even shed two hairs. I like my synth brushes better.

Enjoy your shaves!

@Chan Eil Whiskers mentioned to me (I think) today's brush is basically the same knot that's in the Omega Jade? Which I've been enjoying a lot. It was sort of a hog (ha!) in december but it's generous with lather now. Generous-ish. :)

It's going on three months of exclusive use and I feel it spent a few weeks in "hmmm" then spent a long time in "ok" before it moved to the "goood!" it is now. I'm not sure when it will move into Awesome but I think it will eventually. It's funny man, I have a 25mm Muhele synth and I haven't been tempted to use it in months.

It's cool how different all our tastes are :)

@Chan Eil Whiskers mentioned to me (I think) today's brush is basically the same knot that's in the Omega Jade? Which I've been enjoying a lot. It was sort of a hog (ha!) in december but it's generous with lather now. Generous-ish. :)

It's going on three months of exclusive use and I feel it spent a few weeks in "hmmm" then spent a long time in "ok" before it moved to the "goood!" it is now. I'm not sure when it will move into Awesome but I think it will eventually. It's funny man, I have a 25mm Muhele synth and I haven't been tempted to use it in months.

Yup. This brush was my second one and I think it’s been in rotation for a year now so after the initial shedding I thought we had it handled (pun intended!) and the bristles are fairly soft and floppy too.

But eating up lather and losing hairs still makes me wonder if I should indeed use it for an extended period straight or have it lathered up overnight and let it soak some more.

Guido

Yup. This brush was my second one and I think it’s been in rotation for a year now so after the initial shedding I thought we had it handled (pun intended!) and the bristles are fairly soft and floppy too.

But eating up lather and losing hairs still makes me wonder if I should indeed use it for an extended period straight or have it lathered up overnight and let it soak some more.

Guido

A year man. You'd think it would be in its final form by now. Well, you needed a Mistura anyway, right?

Great to read this. Thanks 🍻
My Omega Proraso is on the way to me and another SEMOGUE Galahad-C3 Premium boar is waiting to be unstuck in a Spanish post office. So, I was wondering how long it will take them to learn the good behaviour.

@Guido75 How long have you used you Omega Proraso? Did you do any initial breaking or you just start using it. The information about the breaking here is quite contraditious. I intend to test on the Proraso the fridge approach from here.

Great to read this. Thanks 🍻
My Omega Proraso is on the way to me and another SEMOGUE Galahad-C3 Premium boar is waiting to be unstuck in a Spanish post office. So, I was wondering how long it will take them to learn the good behaviour.

@Guido75 How long have you used you Omega Proraso? Did you do any initial breaking or you just start using it. The information about the breaking here is quite contraditious. I intend to test on the Proraso the fridge approach from here.
Thanks for the link - hadn’t seen this before. I broke my brush by using it (I didn’t do cycles or anything). It performed from the start and I believe it is sufficiently broken in - performance just varies. I wash out thoroughly as well and leave brushes hanging to dry.

I am now more held back on using shampoo or dish washer soaps. My badger is now so floppy it’s more of a dust brush than a lather brush.

Guido

Top Bottom