What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am waiting at the busstop to pick my son up from school when I saw an email come in from a fellow brother. "Did you happen to get mail today?". I denied, having gone straight from work to the busstop, but curiosity peaked. "Ah, I shouldn't have said anything" - Well, too late for that buddy I thought!

So got home, and indeed there was a package. Rather on the heavier side too and definitely shave related, because it was from a well-known online vendor. I continue with caution and open the package. A box appears and I stop breathing - wait what?! - uhh, okay...I am staring at a Green Cult 2.0 box!!! Seen that box before of course, but never live (and contrary to other reviews, my 3D printed container was still in tact and so the razor sat firmly in the box). I open the box and there she is (this is actually after I had given her a polish - see later):

Heavy razor! It came with Gillette Platinum blades by the way - I thought these were packaged with Tiger Platinums, but Gillette Platinum is definitely an A-blade so happy there as well. I gave her a feel and a look. It is sandblasted or beadsblasted and therefore feels rougher - or how to say it - more skiddish and not smooth. Feels good in the hand though and the knurling is present and not too present. Quality build for sure! I feel the need to do something about that blasted finish so I took to the handpolish and about half an hour later she looks like this:

I think I will have so much fun shaving with this one! And coincidently I have the Tiger Platinum blade selected for One Blade in February - so that helps! My Razor Rotation Anxiety surfaced again (thanks!), but I think I made a fair compromise. I received the Level II baseplate which represents a .65 blade gap with .10 positive blade exposure. So the blade gap is less than my Ti95, but the exposure is (much) bigger. Curious to know how this will shave tomorrow morning!

Dear, dear @flask28, I super appreciate the kind gift you made possible. And I find it touching you reached out to other brothers to help you pick this razor as your gift to me. That makes it an even more remarkable and special razor than it already is. I don't know who these brothers are and that's ok, but if you are reading this - I appreciate your help to Flask immensely.

Keep up your postings and sharing of experiences - I enjoy reading them and your GIF-matching-to-story skills are in a league of their own and crack me up every time I see one. Thank you again my friend and tomorrow's shave is in your honour!

Cheers,

Guido
Congrats to the max, Guido.... I hope the GC 2.0 earns its spot in your top rotation. I also hand polished mine to get all the "grit" feel off of it. It's a very fine razor for me and my face.

A note: I'm sure you know my tendencies now, but I haven't been tempted to change out the handle to a Ti Crown from Timeless. I know the overall weight is heavy but I quite like the OEM handle, esp. after the hand polish.

Congrats to the max, Guido.... I hope the GC 2.0 earns its spot in your top rotation. I also hand polished mine to get all the "grit" feel off of it. It's a very fine razor for me and my face.

A note: I'm sure you know my tendencies now, but I haven't been tempted to change out the handle to a Ti Crown from Timeless. I know the overall weight is heavy but I quite like the OEM handle, esp. after the hand polish.
Thanks Kim! That’s the word I was looking for ‘grit’ feel. And I feel what you mean about the OEM handle. I haven’t got more than one Crown handle and I don’t want to use that one for anything else than my Ti95.

I am waiting at the busstop to pick my son up from school when I saw an email come in from a fellow brother. "Did you happen to get mail today?". I denied, having gone straight from work to the busstop, but curiosity peaked. "Ah, I shouldn't have said anything" - Well, too late for that buddy I thought!

So got home, and indeed there was a package. Rather on the heavier side too and definitely shave related, because it was from a well-known online vendor. I continue with caution and open the package. A box appears and I stop breathing - wait what?! - uhh, okay...I am staring at a Green Cult 2.0 box!!! Seen that box before of course, but never live (and contrary to other reviews, my 3D printed container was still in tact and so the razor sat firmly in the box). I open the box and there she is (this is actually after I had given her a polish - see later):

Heavy razor! It came with Gillette Platinum blades by the way - I thought these were packaged with Tiger Platinums, but Gillette Platinum is definitely an A-blade so happy there as well. I gave her a feel and a look. It is sandblasted or beadsblasted and therefore feels rougher - or how to say it - more skiddish and not smooth. Feels good in the hand though and the knurling is present and not too present. Quality build for sure! I feel the need to do something about that blasted finish so I took to the handpolish and about half an hour later she looks like this:

I think I will have so much fun shaving with this one! And coincidently I have the Tiger Platinum blade selected for One Blade in February - so that helps! My Razor Rotation Anxiety surfaced again (thanks!), but I think I made a fair compromise. I received the Level II baseplate which represents a .65 blade gap with .10 positive blade exposure. So the blade gap is less than my Ti95, but the exposure is (much) bigger. Curious to know how this will shave tomorrow morning!

Dear, dear @flask28, I super appreciate the kind gift you made possible. And I find it touching you reached out to other brothers to help you pick this razor as your gift to me. That makes it an even more remarkable and special razor than it already is. I don't know who these brothers are and that's ok, but if you are reading this - I appreciate your help to Flask immensely.

Keep up your postings and sharing of experiences - I enjoy reading them and your GIF-matching-to-story skills are in a league of their own and crack me up every time I see one. Thank you again my friend and tomorrow's shave is in your honour!

Cheers,

Guido

You are super welcome buddy!! It was a bit of a wild card - don't feel obligated to love it :). But I hope you do!

I was only flirting with the shaving rabbit hole till you reached out and pretty much single handedly dragged me in. I was waylaid by your friendly, inviting attitude towards everything. And of course your spontaneous generosity. It's easy to see I'm not the only one that feels this way. In many ways you've earned the GC ten times over with the work you've put into the community here.

I'm looking forward to your impressions of the razor - the polish job looks great!! They should be doing that from the factory!

Enjoy!!

Adam

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guido,

I used a Nacet in the GC 2.0 the other day.... it was extremely nice. I do need to try the Level 3 plate I got with my original order. That might boost things up just that little bit extra. I'll let you know if it makes more of a difference for me than it for @LRod . I don't have a Level 4 plate to try... but I am doing an experiment for those who need a more mild razor: I have a Level 1 plate that just hit the States yesterday and is roaming around our Postal Service at the moment.

Date01.01.2023
365 days of shaving32/365 (100%)
GRUYERE32/365 (100%)
GRUME February01/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes2.75
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Green Cult 2.0 IITiger Platinum (1)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Dutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Floïd (AS)
Nivea (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS-)9/10 (buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

A new razor arrived by surprise yesterday and I had to shave with it obviously!! The GC2.0 is up for this week's shave rotation. Super cool to join in on the discussions by @Phoenixkh and @LRod and other brothers on this fine piece of shaving equipment.

I paired the razor with the Tiger Platinum - the blade that Green Cult used to ship their razors with (I received mine with a Gillette Platinum). The combination is medium efficient and medium effective. First pass was very smooth and comfortable and I had the slight impression that more stubble than usual was removed. The razor is on the heavier side, but simultaneously nimble and versatile. I think the handpolishing did contribute to that fact. The handle was not doing it for me in looks, but having now actually used it I think its amazing! Great grip and length (still short enough to place my pinky underneath). The shave is super comfortable - at no time I felt the blade even though it definitely has positive blade exposure. Because of the smaller blade gap (compared to my Ti95 for example) I think the positive exposure is somewhat balanced (but I could be completely false in this conclusion).

The Tiger Platinum is a mild(er) blade and therefore requires more passes on my part to get the results for the day. I think the Green Cult can be and will be more effective with a sharper blade. I might do a cheat-day from OBiF to find out! So the jury is still out if this razor makes my top 5 - but then again I have not tried the current top 5 with the Tiger blade as well, so I need to run that blade through all my razors before making such judgment perhaps. BOSC science continues!!

An unexpected surprise and very welcome addition to my collection and I have you to thank for it @flask28! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup1:Your follow up PM mails make it even more special as you painted the background on which this surprise was build. A significant and memorable deposit to my emotional bank account my friend! Thank you. I think the .65 blade gap is just about right for me at the moment. And the great thing is with this razor that I can always get a Level III or Level IV even baseplate myself. And that is an added bonus. Thank you!!

Enjoy your shave!

PS - Oh, and @Phoenixkh , @Butch Waxx : :001_wub: - you know why

Last edited:
Date02.02.2023
365 days of shaving33/365 (100%)
GRUYERE33/365 (100%)
GRUME February02/28 (100%)
Other participations

Passes2.75

RazorBladeBrush
Green Cult 2.0 IITiger Platinum (2)Simpson T3
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Floïd (AS)
Nivea (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
9.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS-)6/10 (tuggy)

Notes to today’s shave:

Second shave with my Green Cult Flask. Yesterday went well so I expect a similar shave. I have the razor a second hand polish and I now like how it looks. Feels smooth to the touch as well now. Second use of the Tiger blade and it already started tugging. My mind so would like to embrace this blade and I have had wonderful shaves with it in the past, but it seems to have a taste for only specific razors in my den. It seems the GC2.0 is not one of those razors. The razor itself didn’t mind and went to work anyway. A nice DFS- with smoother cheeks was the end result.

The razor itself is a dream to use. It is potentially heavier (although the Razorine Flatboy for example and the R41 with Razorine handle fall in the same weight division for me), but it feels very natural to hold. Easy to use and without much blade feel (well, I felt the blade today, but that was more because of the tuggy first pass than the blade exposure. Polished it for a second time and I now feel she is really smooth and exactly the way I want it. The design of the handle - while obviously not a Crown handle beauty - is extremely functional and therefore fit for the job. Paired with the Flatboy results in a super combination as far as I am concerned. But I see other razor heads working very well with this handle too.

Technique as currently usual. Short strokes. I used some Gillette Slides on the cheeks to mitigate blade tug. Neck was harsher with the second run of this blade, but Slanting or Sliding made that feeling worse - so I just concentrated on even less pressure and lightness of being. That at least avoided redness and any nicks. Because as harsh as it was, no nicks and no irritation in the end. And I guess that's the mystery with this blade for me. I have some 300 Tigers in stock and part of me really wants to get rid of them and a bigger part of me wants to make it work, because as I said - I have had some wonderful shaves with this blade. And they are made by the former Astra factory / brand owner, so basically it should be a similar blade, right? And Astra's get praise here - so Tigers should work too.

The star of the shave was the GC2.0 II. TO end in true @flask28 fashion and style:

good-its-good.gif

Given my two most recent shaves with a Tiger Platinum blade I checked my journal to see if I could discern a pattern.

I have had 18 shaves since July 2022 with a Tiger blade and used 4 blades in total, therefore averaging the number of shaves per blade at about 4.5 shaves. In terms of end result the Tiger blade scores 7.44 which is for me between DFS and BBS- (more towards DFS).

Best shaves with the blades were all with a NEW / variation (Flat Bottom NEW, NEW Long Comb, NEW Improved.

Worst two shaves with a Flatboy and R41. Both these shaves were at the end of or actually beyond the blade longevity.

I shall take these learnings towards OBiF and use it in a variety of other razors.

Date03.02.2023
365 days of shaving34/365 (100%)
GRUYERE34/365 (100%)
GRUME February03/28 (100%)
Other participations

Passes3.5 and touch ups
WXTG (2)Cheeks L: W-E
XATG (0.5)Cheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Green Cult 2.0 IITiger Platinum (3)DVH Synthetic
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Dutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS-)6.5/10 (harsh bordering comfortable)

Notes to today’s shave:

Third shave with my Green Cult Flask. And also third shave with the Tiger, perhaps against better judgment but only one way to find out. And it actually turned out to be a nice shave. No BBS, no full blown DFS, but overall smooth without irritation, nicks or redness is perfectly fine in my book!

I did take a number of mitigating actions:
  • I used a preshave and took more time to face lather, especially the jaw line and neck.
  • I also altered my initial strokes and used the normal Gillette Slide I am so familiar with (longer strokes lessened the tugging of the blade and also changing the direction of the cut helped in that respect).
  • I increase the number of passes to focus more on reduction and less on efficiency.
  • Finally I carried my shaving angle. I noticed that using my steeper angle actually made the shave harsher (figment of my imagination?). The shape of the cap however prevented me from steadily maintaining the same angle - so the second and third pass had a form of freestyling in it.
I loaded super heavy (for me) on the Fat - I think I counted to 30. It worked because I had a nice rich and creamy lather. Just what the shaving doctor ordered. Great glide for this razor and blade. I guess sufficient cushion against potential harhness.

This razor is fun (@flask28 - wonderful choice!!)! It somehow is less intuitive than any of my other razors (well the Flatboy perhaps) and therefore more sides to be explored. SWS helps me in that sense to use a razor more consistently over a longer period of time.

Tomorrow the Flatboy is up and paired with the GC2 handle. This is actually a great functional handle and fits perfectly to the Flatboy head - the reason being that the threading of the Flatboy head is rather short and the threading on the GC2 handle starts at the top as there is no tapered beginning like the fat handle for example. Liking that added bonus very much.

Enjoy your shave!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guido, you are much younger than I am.... I don't see many tuggy shaves in my future. I had one a few weeks ago, and regret not binning that blade immediately. ;)

I only have one more blade to try now.... well, blades that I've purchased. I still haven't used a Perma-Sharp blade yet. All the other ones I have a great. I did recently ditch my German Personna blades. They were just too rough to keep around and I couldn't see passing them on, they were so bad. I do have a couple tucks that were included with razors I've purchased. I'll get to them eventually.

I hope you end up really enjoying your Green Cult 2.0. I need to use a couple razors we have in common.. mainly the R41, to see how the shaves compare so I can understand your references. It appears you like razors on the aggressive side, though you do enjoy your Vintage Gillettes, which were mild for me. It would be interesting to note how the R41 and the GC 2.0 Level 3 compare.

Thanks Kim @Phoenixkh 😊 - but I might be an old soul! And your rowing definitely keeps you in shape. As far as I can tell you do that more often than I do karate (although the LOTH suggested to go twice a week rather than once a week).

PermaSharps I found to be rough. I shaved about two times with a blade and then decided to wait for further explorations. I have some Personna Blue so I can try those as well. I also got the German Personna - have not tried them yet.

So far the GC2 has been a dream to use. Despite its actual weight it appears to lose weight when you shave - really weird. I really like it - there is just something about it that makes me want to explore it. So thanks for the work behind the scenes 😉.

Do try the R41 - with the right blade (which is definitely not a Tiger according to my journal notes) it is stellar. So let me know which blade you will use and I will replicate. If we do that with the GC2 as well we can compare notes. Fun!!

I have learned that my definition of aggressive might vary from others. I do not like uncomfortable razors - ones that prove harsh shaves. I do like effective razors and most of my Gillettes are aggressive but some standards whereas I find them smooth and comfortable. The Old Type Thick Cap for example is a dream to shave with (at least the one I have). NEW Improved the same. R41 is smooth sailing as far as I am concerned. The only aggressive razor I really have in my book is the Razorine Flatboy. It has a tendency to bite me (which is my lack of technique), and yet I still like it very much. Other razors I can deal with.

Looking forward to your reports Kim!

Cheers,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Date04.02.2023
365 days of shaving35/365 (100%)
GRUYERE35/365 (100%)
GRUME February04/28 (100%)
Other participations

Passes2

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine FlatboyTiger Platinum (4)Kox Blue Synthetic
Cold splashAreffa Phantom of Kyiv
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
6.5/10 (DFS-)7/10 (comfortable-ish)

Notes to today’s shave:

Rotated back to my original setting for SWS with the Flatboy and a Tiger on its fourth shave. I paired the razor with the handle from my new Green Cult and I believe they work very nice together.

The star of this shave is without a doubt the first time use of this Areffa soap. This soap put me out of GRUME in December and I received it in January. My Christmas contribution to an entrepreneurial woman making shaving soaps in the most challenging circumstances. This is an amazing soap:001_wub:. I have never felt anything softer and slicker on my skin. Almost like applying whipped cream. Super glide and cushioning. Zero idea what the scent is. Between light and heavy, flowery, no clue. LOTH commented “it’s ok - but I just really like Proraso, that’s all” - so much for SAD 😬😁!

I hadn’t used this brush for a while as I was playing Shave Yahtzee so I decided to bring it out again. It makes for fabulous lather even though this is one of the cheapest brushes I have. Usually in action during travelling.

Technique consistent with other February shaves. Went as less ATG s as I could. No BBS at all, I’m some places not even DFS, but it was a nice reintroduction to the Flatboy.

Enjoy your shave today!

Last edited:
Top Bottom