What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

lasta

Blade Biter
If it's tuggy, reach for a new blade.

You've probably already seen my list, I didn't rate London Bridge very high.

Life is too short for dull blades!

Date
365 days of shaving24/365 (100%)
GRUYERE24/365 (100%)
GRUME January24/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participations-

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
XWTGL:W-E
R:E-W
Neck: S-N
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBPersonna Red (10)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashHaslinger Sandelholz
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Floïd (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I have worked out a new rotation scheme for February and the star of my show is the Ti95. It is such an amazing razor. Not only shave wise (because more than one of my other razors can compete with the Ti95 on shave results), but also design of and aesthetics on this razor are marvellous. And she is really in my hands and part of my collection!!

The Personna blade is on its 10th run today and the pairing with the Ti95 I expected to be similar to the Eddison. Excellent couple and an amazing shave resulted in marble cheeks and very smooth elsewhere.

Omega took care of the Haslinger and whipped up a wonderful lather. It was on the drying side I realised midshave, but nothing worth fussing about. I am bringing this one to 50 shaves.

In terms of technique this 2.5 pass shave is likely becoming my new routine. I like the speed, the effectiveness and mostly the comfort this shave brings. Especially just the two passes on the neck make a large difference to the three pass routine. And I find it remarkable that the current direction of strokes turned out to be right for my beard map although modern theory suggests a different view.

A marvellous shave!!

Wishing you similar shaves! Enjoy!

In terms of technique this 2.5 pass shave is likely becoming my new routine. I like the speed, the effectiveness and mostly the comfort this shave brings. Especially just the two passes on the neck make a large difference to the three pass routine.

Super interesting Guido. I also have been doing 2.5 passes, but the extra pass is on my neck!!

I find I can nail my face easily with a WTG and ATG pass but that invariably leaves my neck with some stubble. I pull an XTG on my neck aligned with my beard map and bam it's DFS.

I'm starting to think I should try WTG, XTG then ATG and see where my neck stubble ends up.

Super interesting Guido. I also have been doing 2.5 passes, but the extra pass is on my neck!!

I find I can nail my face easily with a WTG and ATG pass but that invariably leaves my neck with some stubble. I pull an XTG on my neck aligned with my beard map and bam it's DFS.

I'm starting to think I should try WTG, XTG then ATG and see where my neck stubble ends up.
Well, I do some touch ups on the neck as well. Two areas in particular that need some extra attention. It is funny though, because if I do three in the neck the last one is more diagonal and that is prone to weepers and redness, even though it gets me super smooth.

That insight was a revelation for me as my technique now permits me to actually pull this off. When I started shaving I needed four passes to get to where I am now. Joy!!

Guido

Well, I do some touch ups on the neck as well. Two areas in particular that need some extra attention. It is funny though, because if I do three in the neck the last one is more diagonal and that is prone to weepers and redness, even though it gets me super smooth.

That insight was a revelation for me as my technique now permits me to actually pull this off. When I started shaving I needed four passes to get to where I am now. Joy!!

Guido

I also have problems with my neck, especially in the middle of the lower neck area. Here my hair grows sidewise and going WTG always brings me weepers.
What I found that works for me is going twice XTG N-S and S-N, and then ATG. With a sharp razor/blade this always makes it smooth without, or with much less weepers.

Date
365 days of shaving25/365 (100%)
GRUYERE25/365 (100%)
GRUME January25/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participations-

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC with Lasta Red handleEddison (6)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashHaslinger Sandelholz
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso (AS)
Proraso (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
7.5/10 (DFS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Today’s shave was partially a roll of the dice with the pairing of the NEW with the Eddison. The Eddison showing every sign of a performer. A very nice shave followed. The NEW LC is a versatile and easy to manoeuvre razor. Excellent design and build - and to think I got this from the bay for slightly more than $5 excluding shipping.

I made sure I loaded lighter than yesterday and I bowl lathered first before turning to the face. It gives me more consistency in my lather, although I have come to appreciate face lathering since bringing that into my routine more deliberately since January. I have also tuned down on the preshave, saving the menthol for warmer months. Or at least I do not miss out on my routine for now.

Missed some spots on the upper lip section, but overall a nice shave again today. Comfortable and irritation free.

Enjoy your shave!

The NEW LC is a versatile and easy to manoeuvre razor. Excellent design and build - and to think I got this from the bay for slightly more than $5 excluding shipping.

Excited Rob Riggle GIF by ABC Network

Date
365 days of shaving26/365 (100%)
GRUYERE26/365 (100%)
GRUME January26/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participations-

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Old Type Thick Cap with Lasta Red handleFeather (5)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Haslinger Sandelholz
Mostly bowl lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I was looking forward to today's shave in experiencing a supposedly aggressive razor with a very sharp blade. But perhaps a Feather going on 5 shaves might not be as sharp anymore - or was it?! Quite some stubble to take down (signalling that yesterday's shave was great, but the Eddison is less effective on my beard longer term) and even after the first pass I could have gone out the door with a perfectly fitting CCS level result. Second pass took the rest down and the ATG on the cheeks gave me marble skin. Simply a delightful shave. :001_wub:

Sounds like you have the demon talents @thombrogan described to wring the Feather blades out past 2-3 shaves! I've only tried a Feather once and it got a little rough on shave four.

Well done!

Date
365 days of shaving27/365 (100%)
GRUYERE27/365 (100%)
GRUME January27/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participations-

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine FlatboyGillette Black (4?)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashMitchell’s Wool Fat
Mostly bowl lathered
Cold splash
Floïd (AS) and Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8.5/10 (~15 minutes)7/10 (one nick)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS-)
8/10 (smooth with harsher ending)

Notes to today’s shave:

It has been too long in my mind that I have used this fine Italian. I love the audio feedback and the effectiveness. That’s why I will join SWS again in February and I have selected the Flatboy to use for a week straight.

And with my new routine I was also looking forward to checking it out with this razor. I think it’s also the first time I’ve used this blade in this razor. First pass was buttery smooth and very comfortable. Second pass slightly less comfortable and ATG was smooth yet also had some burning sensation to it. Somehow I managed to nick myself - but I only noticed that post shave. I have binned the blade post shave as well which is in line with earlier experience - despite other reviews I have never been able to get this blade to perform longer than 5-6 shaves. The end result was a very nice and smooth face by the way so I am not overly complaining. And I have had less than stellar experiences with the Flatboy so today was a good day as Ice Cube would say.

I made sure I loaded heavy on the Fat with my lather hogging Omega boar. MWF never disappoints on lather. It’s like Tabac, but with a nice scent 👹 Still all my lather was fine when taking the brush for the second pass - bowl lathering saved the lather. The brush even shed a hair (it’s been a year since I got it!)

A fine start of the Friday in my book.

Enjoy your shave!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
He resharpens his blade. That’s actually tougher than developing such a light touch one’s blade stays sharp in response, but it’s still not the aid of demons.

Date
365 days of shaving28/365 (100%)
GRUYERE28/365 (100%)
GRUME January28/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participations-

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBDorco Titan (4)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Mostly bowl lathered
Cold splash
Witch hazel

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (super small weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
7.5/10 (DFS/DFS+)
9/10 (buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Back to the top gun and this time paired with one of my favourite blades with only 4 shaves on it. The combo was slightly harder than I anticipated but still did a wonderful job together. Effectiveness was also less than expected - I had the sense I needed more passes ie strokes to get where I wanted to be. Definitely worth repeating, because I might have rushed this morning as well (as I forgot a section ATG apparently).

I brought Haslinger up to 50 shaves so now it’s Bergamot for the win. I will be using this one for most of February to bring it to 50 shaves as well. Bergamot lathers by just looking at it so no trouble whipping something beneficial to the shave. My cheapest brush made it all work. Very fond of this brush.

Technique was consistent. No nonsense short strokes bordering buffing and that works well with the Ti95. My neck is still very happy with just two passes and sufficiently smooth to my liking. Went ATG above the upper lip today as well and got a tiny weeper to show for it.

All in all a great start for the weekend!

Last edited:

Date29.01.2023
365 days of shaving29/365 (100%)
GRUYERE29/365 (100%)
GRUME January29/31 (100%)
Other participations

Passes2.75
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATGCheeks and neck S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Swedish SwingKCG (3)Simpson T3
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)6/10 (number of weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
6.5/10 (DFS-)7/10 (harsh)

Notes to today’s shave:

I was looking forward to using the Swing again, this time paired with a KCG. The shave turned out to be less than desirable and therefore became very educational.

It started out smooth and comfortable, but after the initial strokes I found myself having a hard time finding the right angle with this razor and blade. It wasn’t steep and it wasn’t shallow either - so neutral at best, but I had a hard time maintaining it. Blade felt harsh and I experienced more blade feel that usual. Too much pressure will have played a part as well and since seeing the photos of @mgweatherly I know that the blade gap is larger than my Ti95 and the blade exposure is positive I should have known pressure turns this razor into a cheese grater.

That preoccupied my mind during the rest of the shave and thinking about multiple things can only mean one thing for sure: less focus is on the actual shave with a number of persistent weepers (nothing to be too stressed about, but fun has a different definition obviously). And then again - more to be learned about this razor and I have included it in my February rotation for that very reason to get to know the razor better.

Soap was ok. Silky smooth with sufficient glide. I have previously removed the puck from its shaving mug in favour of MFW and I am not sure if the puck actually liked the move (this must be a figment of my imagination!). The brush was simply wonderful.

Tomorrow is another shave. The R41 is up, but maybe I should give my skin a break.

Last edited:
I was pondering some more of this morning’s shave and it dawned on me that when preparing the gear for the shave yesterday I accidentally dropped the blade. Now I thought it fell just flat, but I don’t know for sure. It could have very well damaged the edge just enough to impact the shave quality.

Maybe I am reading too much into this, but it could be an additional cause. I binned the blade just in case.

I'm paranoid about the blade edge myself. I'm super careful to try to not let anything touch it. I take my blades out after shaving and try to dry them off with a piece of tissue paper but even with that I avoid touching the edge. If I dropped a blade and thought the edge was hit I'd probably bin it too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom