What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Very nice looking razor. :001_wub: Look at that blade exposure. :eek2:

Looks more then the goodwill which is more like a short comb new.
Thanks Jason! And yes, this one has quite the exposure. Funnily enough I feel that the NEW is smoother than the NEW FB. I do not have a Goodwill so can’t attest to that, but the old Gillettes were more aggressive/effective than the later models.

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving16/365 (100%)
GRUYERE16/365 (100%)
GRUME January16/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes2
WTGC: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
WXTG
C: Mirrored Gillette Slide / Slant (NW-SE in a NE-SW motion)
N: Mirrored Gillette Slant (NE-SW in a S-N motion)
ATG
C: Mostly straight/Slanted (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41Dorco Titan (2)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Haslinger Sandelholz
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~15 minutes)8/10 (weepers on the right jaw line)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS+)
7/10 (smooth but burning post shave)

Notes to today’s shave:

Shave Yahtzee provided two giants in my den again and I have tried their combination before with fine results. This time was no different, although I experienced a more burning sensation post shave than I usually do. Stubble was less for this shave. That may have contributed to this sensation and perhaps going ATG too soon or too hard. Prior to the shave I had given the Four Pass Shave another thought to see if I could use that but to greater efficiency. But four passes would have been too much for this razor and blade.

Haslinger itself performed brilliantly and I am heading to 50 shaves with this puck which much more shaves to be had after that. The T3 was a joy to use today.

Technique wise I did some changes to my neck approach and my intent was to follow my beard map better. That worked and it also made me aware again of my beard map and question my efficiency in using that map to better my shave. Particularly on the right side (my non-dominant side) I incur more irritation and weepers because given installed stroke patterns I may even be going ATG during the first WTG pass. This I want to change.

Enjoy your shave!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It looks like my R41 along with the RR SLOC cap isn't going to sell so I'll try it over the next few months. The 37C HD looks like it will be around too so that one is on the "must try" list as well.

Like @Rosseforp , a woman in the household (my wife) has commandeered the PAA Filament so I'll probably pick up another one when I order regular PAA supplies. She loves it though she's threatening to try my Athena soon. ;)

Boo Hiss.. I just checked.. the Filament is sold out at the moment.

The R41 is an amazing razor Kim @Phoenixkh - your collection deserves one! I find it effective and efficient. Not always as smooth, but I read your SLOC cap is the antidote to that.

As for the Filament - just hold any one of your Blut, Athena, Wolfman slanted to your face. You should be fine!

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving17/365 (100%)
GRUYERE17/365 (100%)
GRUME January17/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes2.5
WTGN-S
XTGL:W-E
R:E-W
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBvintage London Bridge (3)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso Green
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
9.5/10 (almost GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I Yahtzee’d my way into a great shave today! The dices provided the vintage London blade for my Ti95 together with Proraso and DVH Synthetic. Very pleased. I was wondering how the blade would behave though as I am not yet familiar with its mileage.

I watched an old YT of Geofatboy the other day on going ATG (nothing new) and it inspired me to do his routine to see how it would work out. Straight passes no exotic techniques. Two passes, ATG on the cheeks and some touch ups I must say the results are not all that bad and good actually. It is not a full blown BBS I usually get (chase might be a better term), but I am smooth all over with the exception of the trouble spots on my neck.

Very pleased with the end result and it was in a minimum amount of time. No cuts, weepers, irritation, nothing. I do think the Ti95 has a major part in this end result. Super easy and super comfortable while being amazingly effective.

Enjoy your shaves everyone!

Date
365 days of shaving17/365 (100%)
GRUYERE17/365 (100%)
GRUME January17/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes2.5
WTGN-S
XTGL:W-E
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBvintage London Bridge (3)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso Green
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
9.5/10 (almost GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I Yahtzee’d my way into a great shave today! The dices provided the vintage London blade for my Ti95 together with Proraso and DVH Synthetic. Very pleased. I was wondering how the blade would behave though as I am not yet familiar with its mileage.

I watched an old YT of Geofatboy the other day on going ATG (nothing new) and it inspired me to do his routine to see how it would work out. Straight passes no exotic techniques. Two passes, ATG on the cheeks and some touch ups I must say the results are not all that bad and good actually. It is not a full blown BBS I usually get (chase might be a better term), but I am smooth all over with the exception of the trouble spots on my neck.

Very pleased with the end result and it was in a minimum amount of time. No cuts, weepers, irritation, nothing. I do think the Ti95 has a major part in this end result. Super easy and super comfortable while being amazingly effective.

Enjoy your shaves everyone!
More than one way to “skin a beard”……
👍😊💈

Date
365 days of shaving18/365 (100%)
GRUYERE18/365 (100%)
GRUME January18/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
XWTGL:W-E
Neck: S-N
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Super Speed v2Personna Red (9)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
AlphaMen2.0
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Floïd (AS)
Executive Man (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I Yahtzee’d my birth year razor with a Personna blade combined with a lovely Aventus clone for shaving soap. A fantastic shave ensued with the blade showing no signs of fatigue at all. Smooth and comfortable.

I continued yesterdays experiment in using a faster approach vis a vis Geo’s video and again I was able to achieve a smooth shave in less time. As I have an office day today that’s a welcome addition. I was pondering about why these shaves were so effective and one of the potential explanations I came up with is that with my growth pattern a N-S pass is actually more XTG than WTG or at least a combination of directions. And apparently more effective for me than doing my usual Gillette Slide. Another thing I deliberately did different was very short strokes (half an inch or so) compared to when I do slides or slanted strokes. This too appears to be more effective for me.

Lather was thinner today, not bad by any means just thinner than I usually have. The Omega perform wonderfully and was both soft to the face and form to the stubble.

Very happy shaver here - especially after getting a postal notification that a package will arrive today carrying shaving gifts from the US!

Enjoy your shave!

I'll have to check out Geo's videos. Any particular one? I don't think I've ever done the Gillette slide like they show in the advertisements or instructions. I do longer strokes on my face but weird short different angles from cheek bone down to try and go with the grain first. No matter what I get across or against still down there at some point. Like a sea full of swirling vortices of death.

I'll have to check out Geo's videos. Any particular one? I don't think I've ever done the Gillette slide like they show in the advertisements or instructions. I do longer strokes on my face but weird short different angles from cheek bone down to try and go with the grain first. No matter what I get across or against still down there at some point. Like a sea full of swirling vortices of death.
No, most are quite ok. I used the KCG review one to learn DE shaving (together with an instructional video by Executive Shaving). Geo does not necessarily teach you how to, but you get a sense of what to pay attention to. Especially his speed and dexterity impress me at least and that I was trying to replicate.

The king of short strokes by the way is @sugardaddy because it might be beneficial to blade longevity. That’s where I got the main idea from to take this route.

Most YT is entertaining but no more than that.

Guido

Guido06 shaved with his Slim again yesterday. Setting 3 for a smooth and comfortable shave. No nicks, no cuts, no irritation. Witch hazel and Chronos aftershave lotion (both from The Goodfellas Smile) and he was a young boy again.

He told me today that he is hooked on DE shaving and that when he ventured out on his own in the future there will definitely be more razors… he started mocking his friends who use either cartridges or electric shavers 😁.

I told my work team today that a new razor was coming in - I just got blank stares and shaking heads…as if I cared what anyone thinks about my DE shaving 😆

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving20/365 (100%)
GRUYERE20/365 (100%)
GRUME January20/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special EditionFeather (4)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashMWF
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I Yahtzee’d a Feather in my Fatip this morning a combination I had not tried before (at least not that I am aware of at the moment).

I continued my streak of short strokes and the standard directional pattern. That worked out very well again today. Two passes and ATG on the cheeks and I was pleasantly smooth again.

The Fat was soft and smooth after starting out a little thin and wet. Nice post shave feel after a little stingy feeling post shave yesterday (maybe the shave yesterday was really close).

Great way to start the Friday!

Enjoy your shaves!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Date
365 days of shaving20/365 (100%)
GRUYERE20/365 (100%)
GRUME January20/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special EditionFeather (4)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashMWF
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I Yahtzee’d a Feather in my Fatip this morning a combination I had not tried before (at least not that I am aware of at the moment).

I continued my streak of short strokes and the standard directional pattern. That worked out very well again today. Two passes and ATG on the cheeks and I was pleasantly smooth again.

The Fat was soft and smooth after starting out a little thin and wet. Nice post shave feel after a little stingy feeling post shave yesterday (maybe the shave yesterday was really close).

Great way to start the Friday!

Enjoy your shaves!
Have a great weekend, Guido! :)

YES! Finally! :biggrin1: If you are a regular to my journal you might have noticed that I skipped a day (19.01) and I can now correct that omission. Being a daily shaver I did indeed shave, but I shaved with a new razor and I promised my gracious gifter to wait until he got back from his trip. Because sometimes the B&B universe results in tuning in into each other’s energy apparently. I send off a package to @mgweatherly as a thanks for his efforts regarding Guido06 and his launch into DE shaving with a pristine Slim. Little did I know that Mitch was in the process of doing the same thing in the opposite direction! And so our package set off in similar time frames.

I was super stoked and I had a hunch what might be in my package since we exchanged some messages on a razor I was ‘missing’ in my collection. I got mocked by @ivan_101 for it as well in the candid style only Ivan can!

Anyway, my package arrived Wednesday and I could not wait to unpack it. And low and behold what came out of the bubble wrap:

Waaahhaaa! I have my very own Old Type!!! I could not believe it! It’s condition is really great (and even more if you take into account its age). And Mitch is an outstanding collector and brother, because he included a period casing as well! It has a thick cap as far as I can tell and I think she is from 1921-1923-ish with the ball-end handle.

I gave it a light polish and she came out like this:

I had already shaved so I had to wait until Thursday - and for Mitch to get home and unpacked his goodies. You can find his first shave with the Swing here by the way!

I think she is a true beauty! Mitch, you really outdid yourself again!! B&B is a wonderful virtual village and you are an asset to the community!

On to the shave!

Last edited:
Top Bottom