What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

December evaluation

As December closed yesterday, I thought it might be a nice moment to look back on December and see what comes out of my statistics.

• December had 31 shaves with an average effectiveness score of 8.5 - which equates results between DFS+ and BBS-. So overall good results for December.
  • Most shaves were efficient as well with an average shaving time of 20-25 minutes from start to finish.
  • The quality of the shave did vary more with as low as a 5 meaning a shave with multiple weepers and a nick or cut.
  • Lower comfort shaves were in the lower 7's and those shaves were with either a Bolzano or a Timor blade. Interestingly enough most shaves in December were with a Timor (8 times) or a Bolzano (8). Maybe I wanted to get them over with! I furthermore used a KCG blade 5 times this month.
  • Most spectacular or stellar shaves were with an Eddison blade (used 7 times in December) - and oddly enough a one time super performance of a Timor blade.
  • Most used razor for December was my Timeless Ti95 SCB with 9 uses followed by the R41 and Tech with both 6 uses. Other multiple uses were with the Razorine Flatboy and Fatip Special Edition OC both with 4 uses. The NEW Improved saw 2 uses this month.
  • Least used this month were closed comb razors: KCG, Matador Deluxe, NEW and Gillette Super Speed (but I received that one late December).
  • Most shaves in December were done with a closed comb or safety bar razor.
  • Most used soap this month was Haslinger (23 times) and Bergamot (4 times). This was on purpose as I want to 3017 my soaps and I brought the Haslinger to 45 uses to date - judging by the puck, I am half way there.
December was a nice shaving month. There are a couple of things I want to try out as changes to my routine. I want to make more deliberate use of my razors and SWS with weekly fixed gear seems a good starting point. I also want to make sure I rotate enough so in selecting for SWS or similar rotation setups I will start using Shave Yathzee to get more random combinations to use for a certain period of time.

As for technique I have noticed that the CB Curve stroke, although in accordance with my beard map, appears to be less effective and so I want to revert back to my Gillette Slide or Slant strokes to assess the difference and see if I can increase my effectiveness per pass.

This will also be a year of much restraint in buying new gear. I landed the Swedish Swing, which was high on my most wanted list following raving reviews and opinions from Jack. And I do consider it my last purchase razor-wise. So the Green Cult will have to wait as will the Rocca, Lupos or Game Changers.

lasta

Blade Biter
December evaluation

As December closed yesterday, I thought it might be a nice moment to look back on December and see what comes out of my statistics.

• December had 31 shaves with an average effectiveness score of 8.5 - which equates results between DFS+ and BBS-. So overall good results for December.
  • Most shaves were efficient as well with an average shaving time of 20-25 minutes from start to finish.
  • The quality of the shave did vary more with as low as a 5 meaning a shave with multiple weepers and a nick or cut.
  • Lower comfort shaves were in the lower 7's and those shaves were with either a Bolzano or a Timor blade. Interestingly enough most shaves in December were with a Timor (8 times) or a Bolzano (8). Maybe I wanted to get them over with! I furthermore used a KCG blade 5 times this month.
  • Most spectacular or stellar shaves were with an Eddison blade (used 7 times in December) - and oddly enough a one time super performance of a Timor blade.
  • Most used razor for December was my Timeless Ti95 SCB with 9 uses followed by the R41 and Tech with both 6 uses. Other multiple uses were with the Razorine Flatboy and Fatip Special Edition OC both with 4 uses. The NEW Improved saw 2 uses this month.
  • Least used this month were closed comb razors: KCG, Matador Deluxe, NEW and Gillette Super Speed (but I received that one late December).
  • Most shaves in December were done with a closed comb or safety bar razor.
  • Most used soap this month was Haslinger (23 times) and Bergamot (4 times). This was on purpose as I want to 3017 my soaps and I brought the Haslinger to 45 uses to date - judging by the puck, I am half way there.
December was a nice shaving month. There are a couple of things I want to try out as changes to my routine. I want to make more deliberate use of my razors and SWS with weekly fixed gear seems a good starting point. I also want to make sure I rotate enough so in selecting for SWS or similar rotation setups I will start using Shave Yathzee to get more random combinations to use for a certain period of time.

As for technique I have noticed that the CB Curve stroke, although in accordance with my beard map, appears to be less effective and so I want to revert back to my Gillette Slide or Slant strokes to assess the difference and see if I can increase my effectiveness per pass.

This will also be a year of much restraint in buying new gear. I landed the Swedish Swing, which was high on my most wanted list following raving reviews and opinions from Jack. And I do consider it my last purchase razor-wise. So the Green Cult will have to wait as will the Rocca, Lupos or Game Changers.
Why wait? Might as well 3017 through your razor journey too!

Date
365 days of shaving1/365
(100%)
GRUME January1/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving midway to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slant (SW-NE)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (S-N)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCB
Eddison (1)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
MWF
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Almost clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

A very happy New Year brothers! Still in and absolutely no urges at all. Saw a Yaqi Darwin handle - very nice - but also saw a YT video which displayed problems with threading. And I have wonderful handles as it is - so all is well in Shaveville.

The last of the Discovery Blade Adventure blades went in the Timeless this morning. Based on past performance I should be discovering along for most of January! I have practically only used the Discovery blades throughout November and December. Again, hats off to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for putting this adventure together and so far it has been a wonderful ride.

I was better in dialing in water and soap for a luxurious lather this morning. MWF performed splendidly and I had the same experience as yesterday: not a full blown BBS, but a BBS post shave feel nonetheless. And LOTH seal of approval for this soap - she liked it very much.

Excellent shave for an excellent start of 2023.

Date
365 days of shaving2/365
(100%)
GRUME January2/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsShave Yahtzee (here)

Passes2 and toch up
WXTG
first pass cheeks: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Feather (1)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Proraso Green
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS and Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

First shave using Shave Yahtzee to come up with my rotation. Fun! And the dices made for a very welcome combination. The R41 paired with probably my favourite blade next to the Dorco Titan. And that meant just two passes for a smooth and comfortable shave.

I changed my technique back to Gillette Slides and I lifted the jaw line skin slightly up on the WTG to get a better angle at the jaw line hairs. Not sure if that produced outrageous results, but I do think it helped.

Had to do some touch ups on my right neck where my trouble spot is. I did not think that would be too necessary given the blade, but it almost felt I did not shave there at all! Weird! Extra buffing took care of that.

Wonderful shave!

Last edited:

Date
365 days of shaving2/365
(100%)
GRUME January2/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes2 and toch up
WXTG
first pass cheeks: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Feather (1)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Proraso Green
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

First shave using Shave Yahtzee to come up with my rotation. Fun! And the dices made for a very welcome combination. The R41 paired with probably my favourite blade next to the Dorco Titan. And that meant just two passes for a smooth and comfortable shave.

I changed my technique back to Gillette Slides and I lifted the jaw line skin slightly up on the WTG to get a better angle at the jaw line hairs. Not sure if that produced outrageous results, but I do think it helped.

Had to do some touch ups on my right neck where my trouble spot is. I did not think that would be too necessary given the blade, but it almost felt I did not shave there at all! Weird! Extra buffing took care of that.

Wonderful shave!
Very handsome kit you have there Guido! 👍😊💈

Date
365 days of shaving3/365
(100%)
GRUYERE / GRUME January3/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)
C: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCB
Gillette Black (1)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Mike’s Natural Barbershop
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
9.5/10 (Practically marble)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Using Shave Yahtzee I came up with this razor, blade and brush combination. Originally I had chosen a different soap, but this one was a gift yesterday so just had to try it right.

The LOTH has her birthday today and she turned 50. As a surprise ‘gift’ I contacted a longtime friend of hers who lives in the US and whom she hadn’t seen in person for 30 years and arranged for the friend to come over and visit us.

She wanted a way to return the favour and thanks to @flask28 I was able to provide a suggestion. She brought with her Mike’s Natural Soap Barbershop. Mike does not export and so it is almost impossible to obtain for me here in the EU. I actually said one tub was more than enough, but she also arranged three hard pucks as well so I am set for what I calculate to be more than a year’s worth of soap! One happy camper here!

And I can say that the soap is amazing! It smells really great and actually very different from what barbershop usually smells like (at least to my mind anyway). Very fruity somehow and fresh. It is a combination of tallow and lanoline which gives a smooth and slick shaving surface. The post shave feel is amazing too. Really nurturing to the skin (MWF is even softer post shave, but this is really nice). If Mike did decide to go beyond the US he would have no trouble at all to sell his soaps! Wow!

Now the razor and blade combination worked out pretty well too. These blades are not my favourite as they felt harsh the first time I used them, but with the Ti95 anything is possible. I did incur tiny weepers in the moustache area for going ATG too soon I guess.

The change in technique paid off and I had more effective passes without the CB Curve. Also with shorter strokes. And finally I did shorter buffing like strokes during XTG on the jaw line area which paid out too and bears repeating.

The end result is almost completely marble skin and one super soft face! An excellent birthday shave.

Enjoy your shave too!

Last edited:

Date
365 days of shaving3/365
(100%)
GRUYERE / GRUME January3/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)
C: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCB
Gillette Black (1)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Mike’s Natural Barbershop
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
9.5/10 (Practically marble)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Using Shave Yahtzee I came up with this razor, blade and brush combination. Originally I had chosen a different soap, but this one was a gift yesterday so just had to try it right.

The LOTH has her birthday today and she turned 50. As a surprise ‘gift’ I contacted a longtime friend of hers who lives in the US and whom she hadn’t seen in person for 30 years and arranged for the friend to come over and visit us.

She wanted a way to return the favour and thanks to @flask28 I was able to provide a suggestion. She brought with her Mike’s Natural Soap Barbershop. Mike does not export and so it is almost impossible to obtain for me here in the EU. I actually said one tub was more than enough, but she also arranged three hard pucks as well so I am set for what I calculate to be more than a year’s worth of soap! One happy camper here!

And I can say that the soap is amazing! It smells really great and actually very different from what barbershop usually smells like (at least to my mind anyway). Very fruity somehow and fresh. It is a combination of tallow and lanoline which gives a smooth and slick shaving surface. The post shave feel is amazing too. Really nurturing to the skin (MWF is even softer post shave, but this is really nice). If Mike did decide to go beyond the US he would have no trouble at all to sell his soaps! Wow!

Now the razor and blade combination worked out pretty well too. These blades are not my favourite as they felt harsh the first time I used them, but with the Ti95 anything is possible. I did incur tiny weepers in the moustache area for going ATG too soon I guess.

The change in technique paid off and I had more effective passes without the CB Curve. Also with shorter strokes. And finally I did shorter buffing like strokes during XTG on the jaw line area which paid out too and bears repeating.

The end result is almost completely marble skin and one super soft face! An excellent birthday shave.

Enjoy your shave too!
And a very Happy Birthday to that special LOTH!👍😊🥂

Very interesting stats!

One jumped out to me - I take at least twice as long to shave. I need to work on my efficiency this year!

You are a shaving role model, Guido. I've really enjoyed, and learned a ton, from your journal this year. Looking forward to following it in 2023 man!

Excited Happy Birthday GIF

Happy Birthday Guido!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
At the risk of being culturally insensitive, I think Guido75’s birthday is the 6th of July and his Bride’s birthday is the 3rd of January as I am assuming LOTH is his affectionate abbreviation for “Lady of the House.”

At the risk of being culturally insensitive, I think Guido75’s birthday is the 6th of July and his Bride’s birthday is the 3rd of January as I am assuming LOTH is his affectionate abbreviation for “Lady of the House.”
That is 100% correct Thom - and I appreciate all wishes and simply pass them on. Like I just did again!

Guido

Top Bottom