365 days of shaving364/360
(100%)
GRUME December26/30 (97%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving midway to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (S-N)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette TechTimor (2)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)7/10 (neck weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+)
7.5/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

A fine shave using the flat Bottom Tech. The blade still isn’t great for me, but it behaved better than yesterday. The result today was a quite long lasting BBS-ish level.

But more importantly my son has his first DE shave! And got great first time results.

The Roma performed wonderfully today and I can only tell it apart from the T3 by their backbones. Very glad with both brushes!

Enjoy your shave today!

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you, Guido! It was my re-reading post #699 and deciding it was somehow also 27.12.2022 instead of the 26.12.2022 you wrote that helped me confuse myself.

Thank you, Guido! It was my re-reading post #699 and deciding it was somehow also 27.12.2022 instead of the 26.12.2022 you wrote that helped me confuse myself.
Well the fact I posted it 28.12 doesn’t help either! I will have another shave in about 4-5 hours so I will post that one a lot sooner!!

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving365/361
(100%)
GRUME December27/30 (97%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBTimor (3)Omega Super Badger 632
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9.5/10 (BBS and near Marble)
7.5/10 (Smooth yet harsh)

Notes to today’s shave:

Another amazing shave with my Timeless. Even throwing in a bad blade such as the Timor it still performs. Never uncomfortable, never irritated, but it was a harsher shave than usual with the Ti95. I subsequently retired the blade. I am into longevity, but not at the expense of comfort. The Timor blade did the job though: near marble in places and a very close shave. Maybe too close in places as even the cold splash post shave stung in places.

The Omega was fun to use again. My first brush and is as floppy as paper at the moment, but lathers great and has great face feel.

Haslinger keeps performing and no sign of me 3017-ing it.

Enjoy you shave today!

Date
365 days of shaving366/362
(100%)
GRUME December28/30 (97%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slant (SW-NE)

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador DeluxeDorco ST300HQ (9)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)8/10 (Irritation on the neck and weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

I hadn’t used the Matador for some time. Yet it is one of my favourites. I at least have a soft spot for it. It is comfortable, smooth and effective - my favourite combination in a razor.

The Dorco was it of rotation due to the Discovery Blade Adventure, but I decided to give it a next run. Smooth and comfortable except when doing the ATG. I might still be in the aftermath of the Timor blade, but ATG the blade felt harsh and nicked me. I therefore retired the blade although technically I think it has more in it. It’s all ok with nee. I am going through my older blades to get ready for January Shave Yahtzee.

The Razorock Plissoft is still my favourite brush! Exceptional lathering capabilities even when loading light which I prefer to do.

Great shave to start the day I would say!

Enjoy your shave today!

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving367/364
(100%)
GRUME December29/30 (97%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine FlatboyDorco Titan (11)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Almost clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

You don’t need therapy, you need a wet shave (@Jack Goossen). How true! I had a bit of the blues lately and was/am fighting some sort of cold. Not a place I usually am at. Fortunately there are a lot of things to be grateful for, including setting tracking and teaching codes progress across the world to deliver PIF’ed items.

Slept better last night and was really looking forward to today’s shave. A magnificent shave ensued making for a much better day than before.

I paired the Flatboy together with an older Titan blade I have used previously with this razor (I could tell from the indent in the middle of the blade where the list of the cap sat).

I took extra care on doing my strokes and I used the KCG long handle so I could more easily use a shallow angle which I think this razor benefits from (at least for me). The blade performed like new. Very smooth and comfortable still.

The Flatboy is not my easiest razor, but it delivers wonderful shaves. Careful strokes and three sweet passes later I am BBS with hints of marble cheeks. I think some stray hairs left on the jaw line.

Face lathered with the T3 today and it has massive backbone so my lather was build in no time at all. Excellent brush :001_wub:.

Enjoy your shave today!

Last edited:
You know those scenes where the protagonist experiences hardship and then eats ice cream with self pity? I just did the B&B version of that: buying new shave gear. I was in my local shave shop for MWF (on my longlist) when the owner showed me a vintage Swing I had been previously eyeing in his shop. He said that since I am a committed hobbyist when it comes to shaving I could take it home at 50% discount. That was too much of a bargain! And I could not resist!

CDF2E64E-A3C1-48E1-AE60-ED777E98E7B7.jpeg

I sanitised her and tomorrow the first shave will go into the shaving books together with MFW.

Date
365 days of shaving367/364
(100%)
GRUME December29/30 (97%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine FlatboyDorco Titan (11)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Almost clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

You don’t need therapy, you need a wet shave (@Jack Goossen). How true! I had a bit of the blues lately and was/am fighting some sort of cold. Not a place I usually am at. Fortunately there are a lot of things to be grateful for, including setting tracking and teaching codes progress across the world to deliver PIF’ed items.

Slept better last night and was really looking forward to today’s shave. A magnificent shave ensued making for a much better day than before.

I paired the Flatboy together with an older Titan blade I have used previously with this razor (I could tell from the indent in the middle of the blade where the list of the cap sat).

I took extra care on doing my strokes and I used the KCG long handle so I could more easily use a shallow angle which I think this razor benefits from (at least for me). The blade performed like new. Very smooth and comfortable still.

The Flatboy is not my easiest razor, but it delivers wonderful shaves. Careful strokes and three sweet passes later I am BBS with hints of marble cheeks. I think some stray hairs left on the jaw line.

Face lathered with the T3 today and it has massive backbone so my lather was build in no time at all. Excellent brush :001_wub:.

Enjoy your shave today!
Take a knee and rest Guido, (we all need to do so on occasions). But then straddle up and get back in the game as we all enjoy your presence!👍😊💈

Take a knee and rest Guido, (we all need to do so on occasions). But then straddle up and get back in the game as we all enjoy your presence!👍😊💈
Thanks Butch, and will do! The LOTH is turning 50 next week and this morning I informed her about her present. I secretly asked one of her best friends to come over from the US to spend a week with her. Picking her up next Monday. The smile on my lady’s face sets my days on fire!

Cheers,

Guido

lasta

Blade Biter
You know those scenes where the protagonist experiences hardship and then eats ice cream with self pity? I just did the B&B version of that: buying new shave gear. I was in my local shave shop for MWF (on my longlist) when the owner showed me a vintage Swing I had been previously eyeing in his shop. He said that since I am a committed hobbyist when it comes to shaving I could take it home at 50% discount. That was too much of a bargain! And I could not resist!

View attachment 1579963

I sanitised her and tomorrow the first shave will go into the shaving books together with MFW.
Ain't no such thing as hardship when there's ice cream!

I have what might be a Swing incoming, look forward to Newbie's next entry!

1672464071548.png

First man, that's a GREAT photo of your last shave setup. From that angle, it looks like you have this handsome wood brush & razor stand built into a flowerpot. YES! Then I realized. I'm sort of disappointed now that's not what it is.

It's easy to get a little blue during the holidays, even for one of the friendliest, funniest guys on B&B. I hope you remember you have a whole internet full of friends that think the world of you.

Shopping therapy is ALWAYS a good call.

View attachment 1580374

First man, that's a GREAT photo of your last shave setup. From that angle, it looks like you have this handsome wood brush & razor stand built into a flowerpot. YES! Then I realized. I'm sort of disappointed now that's not what it is.

It's easy to get a little blue during the holidays, even for one of the friendliest, funniest guys on B&B. I hope you remember you have a whole internet full of friends that think the world of you.

Shopping therapy is ALWAYS a good call.
Hey Flask thanks! I could only use one emoji - I wanted to go with laughing for the flower pot thing!! You might be on to something so better arrange for a patent. 😆

And yes, you always teach what you need to learn the most. Shopping helped! And other posts are moving, just sometimes in other directions than I would like to. We’ll get there.

Thanks for your support!

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving368/365
(100%)
GRUME December28/30 (97%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Swedish SwingPersonna Red (5)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
MWF
Face lathered
Cold splash
Executive Man (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Almost clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

First use of the Swing I acquired yesterday. Quite a blade gap, but hardly any blade feel. Very comfortable and nimble razor. I gave it a bit of extra buffing and polishing yesterday and now it really shines. Excellent combination with this Personna blade on its 5th run.

Also first try if Mitchell’s Wool Fat. That was actually an underwhelming experience at first. I read about lathering challenges and I initially had one too, but that was resolved quickly. Other than that it appeared to perform like any other soap. I was expecting more with all the rave I read in other threads. However, post shave was a really different experience from other soaps. Super slick skin without hardly any need to use aftershave or balm. None of my other soaps have that effect on my skin. And what’s even more bizarre: I am definitely not at BBS levels, but the soap makes my skin feel that way?! So looking forward to tomorrow to see how she behaves with other brushes.

A great shave to end the year. A year is daily shaves, failed GRUMEs, new friendships, experiencing the joys of receiving and giving PIFs, too many razors - but who’s counting, and a wonderfully unfolding new hobby. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. I wish you all a prosperous and healthy 2023 with stellar shaves!

Top Bottom