What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hi Doug,

Great question. Touch ups were done with the Matador as well. So major mowing was with the R41.

I think the R41 is a marvellous razor - it is now 11 hours past my shave and still CCS/SAS level. Amazing.

I say: pick her up and give her a run!

Guido
Right now I'm experimenting with a razor on the other end of the spectrum, my ASD2. They say it is a great everyday razor. I put a Kai in it for my last shave and it was very smooth, but still lacking the blade feel I'm used to, so it has a shim in it for my next shave.

I think everyone should try a modern R41, they are great razors.

~doug~

Hmm. Sounds intriguing @Rosseforp Doug. Is the shim for increasing effectiveness of the shave or just for you so you can have more blade feel? Because if it does the job and there is no blade feel, I would think it is a great and irritation free shave. But I could be very wrong in that department.

And following my newbie footsteps with safety bar to open comb to R41, I fully agree. Everyone should have a R41 in their collection. And a Tech for that matter.

Cheers,

Guido

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hmm. Sounds intriguing @Rosseforp Doug. Is the shim for increasing effectiveness of the shave or just for you so you can have more blade feel? Because if it does the job and there is no blade feel, I would think it is a great and irritation free shave. But I could be very wrong in that department.

And following my newbie footsteps with safety bar to open comb to R41, I fully agree. Everyone should have a R41 in their collection. And a Tech for that matter.

Cheers,

Guido
Yes Guido, the shim increases the blade exposure along with the gap.
Feather AS-D2.jpg
This is my ASD2 with a Feather Hi Stainless blade.

Kai AS-D2.jpg
This is My ASD2 with a Kai Blade.

Feather ASD2 shimmed.jpg
This is my ASD2 with a Kai blade and a shim.

New LC lamp.jpg
And this is my New LC with a Feather blade.

The ASD2 is said to be a stainless steel tech clone, and it's mildness is an attribute it shares, but that is where the similarities end.
The baseplate and cap clamps the blade as securely as a New SC, with the blade angle of a New LC, for a mild but extremely smooth shave.
I can and need to buff to my heart's content without any irritation and when the shave is finished my face is smooth as a baby's butt, but my neck still needs work.
Within 6 hours I can feel stubble and the need to shave daily, my first shave with my New LC lasted a full day and was mowing through twelve days of stubble.

I'm pretty sure the shim will increase the effectiveness without compromising the smoothness of the shave. If not, the New LC is sitting right next to it with a Feather blade loaded up.

~doug~

F7E4E03D-DB93-443B-B6DC-C94EC7231C82.jpeg

Date
365 days of shaving314/312
(100%)
GRUME08/30 (100%)
NOCvember
08/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 0/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes2 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slide/Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Flat Bottom Tech on Lasta Red handleEddison (2)DVH Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tabac (Tallow)
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Second shave with the Eddison blade was amazing! The EFBT and Eddison took no prisoners and two passes with some jaw line touch ups later BBS was had.

The Eddison is definitely more effective for me. That is the best of PIFs like these - Eddison was definitely not in my radar. I knew the brand, but never considered it. I have considered Bolzano, but this PIF makes me realise the blade is less for me.

Tabac performed as usual. LOTH noted the scent being present and not to her liking. Chanel came to the rescue and everything is cool again.

I followed my beard map less and results were fine, but I think applying my beard map minimises touch up.

Last edited:

Date
365 days of shaving315/313
(100%)
GRUME09/30 (100%)
NOCvember
09/30 (100%)
Timor 0/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes2 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slide/Slant with CB Curve
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe on Fat HandleEddison (3)Omega Proraso
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Lavanda
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Third shave with the Eddison blade was again amazing! The Matador is so smooth, so nimble and versatile - it might almost be my favourite razor (@Jack Goossen :ouch1:). Two passes with some jaw line touch ups later BBS was had.

The cap is a little smaller than a Fatip but the way so I believe if I combine the two I might be looking at a Fatip Mk1.

Lavanda is excellent! Love this soap and smell.

Man! Only two passes and I have to wait until tomorrow to do it again!

Enjoy your day everyone!

Date
365 days of shaving316/314
(100%)
GRUME10/30 (100%)
NOCvember
10/30 (100%)
Timor 0/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes2 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (a few weepers)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine Flatboy with Lasta Red Handle
Eddison (4)Razorock Plissoft 400
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Nr 1 Proraso bowlCold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Floïd (AS)
Nivea (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Fourth shave with the Eddison blade was again smooth. The Flatboy was mega effective. I could (and should) have stopped at two passes and no touch ups. Instead I did touch ups and incurred some minor weepers under my chin. Aftershave took care of those.

This Eddison blade keeps performing - better than Personna Reds for what I can tell at the moment.

This Eddison blade keeps performing so @Grundi , I suggest to leave the thread open for quite some time, because I still have 7 blades to discover and the two in use are all going strong!!

Last edited:
Date
365 days of shaving317/315
(100%)
GRUME11/30 (100%)
NOCvember
11/30 (100%)
Timor 0/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes3 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slide & Slant
(NE-SW)
XTGSlanted (W-E)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
7/10 (~25 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Piccolo Gentile mixed metal
Bolzano (5)Omega Super Badger
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Continuing the Discovery Journey with the first Bolzano. Paired with the Fatip this blade retains its performance level, but I do think this first one is coming to an end. It was never harsh or pulling so I will give it another try having never used this blade before.

My Fatip never lets me down. Amazing razor with amazing performance. Smooth and easy to use. Never had much blade alignment issues too (or I use the misalignment for the more sensitive areas of my face).

Date
365 days of shaving318/316
(100%)
GRUME12/30 (100%)
NOCvember
12/30 (100%)
Timor 0/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes2 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slide & Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
8/10 (One nick)
8/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine Flatboy
Gillette EFBT
Bolzano (6)
Eddison (5)
DVH Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Lavanda
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave: here

I think the two Discovery blades are coming to an end. The Eddison in the Flatboy was pulling/tugging on the first pass. It did however do a great job in reducing stubble. The Bolzano was very smooth in the Tech - maybe even too smooth? as there were times when I wondered if it was even cutting or not.

I have not yet binned the blades for two reasons: maybe the Flatboy and Eddison are no match and the blade has still some mileage to go and the Bolzano felt so smooth I was thinking the same.

Meanwhile however I did notice that both blades while providing a BBS the BBS did not last that long. Which makes them perform less overall compared to other blades.

Date
365 days of shaving319/317
(100%)
GRUME13/30 (100%)
NOCvember
13/30 (100%)
Timor 1/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes3 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
XTGGillette Sideways Slant
(NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
9/10 (Tiny weeper)
8/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
King C GilletteTimor (1)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Kox Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Third blade from the Discovery Blade Pack and I already can tell that this is not the blade for me. It lacks effectiveness. Maybe as a result of using it in the KCG - could very be - but I really needed those three passes to get a decent job done. Particularly the Timor has challenges with my neck and problem areas (situated also on my neck). Besides its effectiveness it is a pleasant blade to shave with. It is smooth and comfortable paired with the KCG and let's you think you can mindlessly throw it around (which I advise you not to do by the way!).

Because it is a new blade to me, I used 'standard' strokes. I did do the WTG on my right side using my non-dominant hand. The KCG is a razor that let's you do that and gives you the opportunity to practice your pass-techniques.

Lather was on the thicker side, but I think in hindsight that was a good thing.

This blade will get more chances to prove itself to me. I am curious to know how she performs in my Flatboy and Flat Bottom Tech.

All in all a decent shave for a sunny Sunday. Enjoy the rest of the day everyone!

Date
365 days of shaving320/318
(100%)
GRUME14/30 (100%)
NOCvember
14/30 (100%)
Timor 1/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes3 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
XTGGillette Sideways Slant
(NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
8/10 (One nick and some minor weepers)
8/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe
Mühle R41
Timor (2) and Timor (3)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Kox Bergamot (Matador)
Kox Enamel
Haslinger Sandelholz (R41)
Cold splash
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

This shave was actually spread across time. I did a single ATG yesterday evening with the Matador just before going to bed. I wanted to see and feel how I would experience that. It was ok as the Matador is a delight to use, but going straight ATG is not my particular cup of tea - at least not when using a Timor blade.

I followed up with the R41 this morning doing the WTG and XTG passes with Haslinger. The R41 controls the Timor blade a lot better. I got this idea from @SgtCrppls who mentioned the Timor blade is an excellent pairing with his Wolfman. Now, I do not own a Wolfman, but I was inspired by the Wolfman's clamping ability and hence my idea to use the R41. It made it the best shave yet with the Timor blade - still below usual performance with other blades.

Near BBS this morning and therefore I am a happy bunny. Cannot wait for the mail to arrive, but I fear my patience will be tested again today!

Date
365 days of shaving321/319
(100%)
GRUME15/30 (100%)
NOCvember
15/30 (100%)
Timor 1/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curved (1) and Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE & NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (One nick side of mouth)
8/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
English Flat Bottom Tech
Timor (4) retiredRazorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Tabac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)
Notes to today’s shave:

The fourth run with the Timor blade was the smoothest yet and still I binned the blade after only 4 shaves, because it kept giving me weepers or nicks. Other than that the pairing with the Tech was a good one and I had no trouble in bringing everything to BBS levels in a decent amount of passes and time.

As for technique I decided to give my CB Curve another go, which is basically half a circle pass on the cheeks continued through to the neck. So I start NW-SE and midway my cheeks curve to NE-SW. I followed that up with a XTG using Gillette Slide strokes and finished with ATG in a usual manner. Hardly any touch ups needed.

Tabac was performing really well today. Nice thick and rich lather. I am being to notice that the LOTH has a nose for Tabac Tuesdays, because she can always pick it out when I have used this soap - even after washing my face with another soap. So still in between as to how to deal with that.

Great shave for a great day. Enjoy your shaves!

Date
365 days of shaving322/320
(100%)
GRUME16/30 (100%)
NOCvember
16/30 (100%)
Timor 1/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes3
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
7/10 (Couple of nicks around the chin)
8/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine FlatboyEddison (6)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Kox Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

A smooth and comfortable run with the Flatboy. The sixth run with the Eddison blade and I think the blade is done given the nicks underneath my chin / neck area. Not harsh or tuggy - I just think the blade has dulled. As for the Discovery Adventure my current order is Eddison, Bolzano, Timor. Interestingly enough I binned the Timor yesterday, but I maintained my BBS-level almost until I went to bed.

All other players in today's shave performed excellently. According to the mail app today is delivery day! Not getting my hopes up too much, but I am super excited!

Have a great day everyone!

Date
365 days of shaving323/321
(100%)
GRUME17/30 (100%)
NOCvember
17/30 (100%)
Timor 1/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (User error weepers)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95Eddison (1)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso Green
Proraso
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave: Here

The inaugural @Butch Waxx shave today with the Timeless and a fresh Eddison blade. And I have to say I did not like it…

No, I LOVED IT!! This razor is super mega smooth. It feels like my Tech with R41 effectiveness. I had the sense I could to anything with this razor - which was not the case. Two passes and everything was good, but I just didn’t want to stop and I had to pay a user carelessness price with a couple of weepers on the ATG pass. I think I pressed too much given the lightness of the razor. So need to dial that in some more.

The blade gap of .95 goes by absolutely unnoticeable. There is also some light positive blade exposure, but never any blade feel. Really amazing.

I matched all other actors to Butch as well so an all Proraso shave and that was simply delightful. Lather was fantastic and provided the Timeless extra glide.

So this was an amazing shave. The razor is lightweight, nimble and very comfortable to use. It is easy to understand the raving people have for this razor. Sleek design and that handle..man!…excellent grip and very nice feel.

Butch, thanks again for this amazing razor. I really need to be careful my other razors will not be gathering dust. It was that good.

Last edited:

Date
365 days of shaving323/321
(100%)
GRUME17/30 (100%)
NOCvember
17/30 (100%)
Timor 1/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (User error weepers)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95Eddison (1)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso Green
Proraso
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave: Here

The inaugural @Butch Waxx shave today with the Timeless and a fresh Eddison blade. And I have to say I did not like it…

No, I LOVED IT!! This razor is super mega smooth. It feels like my Tech with R41 effectiveness. I had the sense I could to anything with this razor - which was not the case. Two passes and everything was good, but I just didn’t want to stop and I had to pay a user carelessness price with a couple of weepers on the ATG pass. I think I pressed too much given the lightness of the razor. So need to dial that in some more.

The blade gap of .95 goes by absolutely unnoticeable. There is also some light passive blade exposure, but never any blade feel. Really amazing.

I matched all other actors to Butch as well so an all Proraso shave and that was simply delightful. Lather was fantastic and provided the Timeless extra glide.

So this was an amazing shave. The razor is lightweight, nimble and very comfortable to use. It is easy to understand the raving people have for this razor. Sleek design and that handle..man!…excellent grip and very nice feel.

Butch, thanks again for this amazing razor. I really need to be careful my other razors will not be gathering dust. It was that good.
I set my alarm early hoping to catch your report and I am relieved that you enjoyed the razor during your first shave. I too found that particular Timeless Ti to be super smooth yet quietly efficient. Now back to sleep here! Have a great day. 😊👍💈

I set my alarm early hoping to catch your report and I am relieved that you enjoyed the razor during your first shave. I too found that particular Timeless Ti to be super smooth yet quietly efficient. Now back to sleep here! Have a great day. 😊👍💈
:001_wub: Ahh… my reply would have been here after a good night’s sleep too Butch :blushing:

Cheers!

Guido

Top Bottom