What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
OK... I'm not that bright. I just assumed it was another Tech.. I knew it was Raised Flat Bottom... I assumed it was also a Tech. I really have no idea what I'm talking about, in case you missed it. <eg>
Before Gillette came out with the Tech, they had the New Short Comb and New Long Comb razors, really great open comb razors. That is where the "New RFB" came from, it is a New Raised Flat Bottom-Open Comb.

~doug~

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Excellent Kim. David also mentioned Personna Red as a good combo for the Tech. I am eyeing those (but in GRUME at the moment). The KCG is one of my favourite blades.
Original Personna Israeli Platinum Red blades made in Israel. Not the 'Israeli Platinum Red' blades made in Germany.

Exercise caution and do your research before purchasing. The Israeli plant has been closed for ~3 years now and genuine Israeli blades are scarce.

There are some very good threads here at B&B that will help you should you elect to go searching. :)

Date​
03.08.2022​
Main Focus:3/31 Days in GRUME (9.6% competed and easily still in)
212/215 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors Summer
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
All Aventus August
Prep:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:The Alpha Men 2.0
Aftershave:Floïd The Genuine
Balm:Executive Man
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Passes:WTG (NE-SW)
ATG (S-N) slanted

Touch up XTG (W-E) slanted
Razor:English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (1)
Rating:
8/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

First run with a new blade and this blade is always a little more edgy on the first use. Combined with me wanting to go too fast resulted in some minor weepers on the second ATG pass.

Overall a smooth ride and the Flat Bottom Tech handles the Dorco wonderfully. It handled my whiskers wonderfully as well, so I feel like a smooth little boy again. Like Hannibal (Cal reminded me only yesterday) said: “I love it when a plan comes together.”

Date​
04.08.2022​
Main Focus:4/31 Days in GRUME (12.8% competed and still in)
213/216 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
All Aventus August
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:TGS Abysso
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Brush:Unbranded travel brush
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) slanted
ATG (S-N) slanted

Razor:English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:KCG (6)
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Easy running with my favourite blade. Smooth and comfortable on its 6th outing. Dependable and predictable shave. The Tech performed marvellous with the KCG. Seriously liking this newest addition to my collection. Fridays are reserved for my Fatips, but I need to resist not picking my Tech.

Abysso is an excellent soap for warmer days and so are the Proraso after shave and balm. Great lather with excellent gliding support. The unbranded brush helped too. I already noticed during my vacations it had excellent lathering qualities and today was no different. Just a little amount for me a long way.

Two passes was all it took and I did a third touch up to get even BBS levels (and to enjoy the Tech just a little longer!).

Date
05.08.2022 Fatip Friday
Main Focus:5/31 Days in GRUME (16.1% competed and still in)
214/217 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
All Aventus August
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:TGS Amber Fougere
Aftershave:Floïd’s The Genuine
Balm:Nivea Balm
Brush:Omega Super Badger
ATG (S-N) slanted

Razor:Fatip Special Edition OC
Blade:KCG (18)
Rating:10/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Ahhh…shaving bliss with my beloved Special Edition open comb and a smooth 18th run for this blade. Two passes was all it took and I liked it so much I did the touch up pass anyway. Not a full blown unbeatable BBS, but I tend not to seek those at all cost. I aim for DFS nowadays and usually end up with BBS- but without the redness or a little nick here and there.

The Gillette Slanted Stroke is starting to grow on me and deliver very good results without irritations. I also pay more attention to audio feedback to hear if I need to revisit certain areas of my face and neck.

First time using Amber Fougere. Or if the tub I do not like the scent, but once lathered it is quite nice actually. Lather pretty good too. I did have trouble getting the right consistency. Amber is again one of those sticky soaps that mess with my brushes. At first too dense and then too watery. I sent lather flying all over the place.

Date​
06.08.2022​
Main Focus:6/31 Days in GRUME (16.1% competed and still in)
215/218 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
All Aventus August
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:TGS Amber Fougere
Bowl:Proraso tub
Brush:Omega Proraso Boar
ATG (S-N) slanted

Razor:Razorine Flatboy
Blade:Tiger Platinum (1)
Rating:7/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

I have only tried a Dorco Titan and a Shark Super Chrome in the Flatboy sofar so I thought to switch blades and decided to go with the Tiger. Tigers and I have a mixed relationship. They either give me great shaves or they only deliver mediocre ones.

Today started rougher in feel and at this rate i do not think the Tiger will last double digits. Judging by my skin however no irritation or redness on my neck. Two tiny weepers but they were gone during relathering.

Amber Fougere is nice but it is also a sticky soap like gum to my shaving bowl. Lathering is easy but I don’t like to have soap residue in my brush with bits and pieces of soap not fully lathered. Tend to be dry during passes too and i think that did not assist this shave. The Razorine likes gliding and smooth surfaces.

The combination still delivered a close shave and tomorrow I will try a different soap to see if more lubrication assists in making this combination shine. In terms of smoothness and comfort I would say that the Dorco Titan holds my number one spot at the moment. Even more comfortable than my pet blade KCG. Overall performance and razor compatibility goes to the KCG.

Date
07.08.2022 Super Smooth Sunday
Main Focus:7/31 Days in GRUME (16.1% competed and still in)
216/219 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
All Aventus August
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:Dutchy Bergamot
ATG (S-N) slanted
Razor:R41
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (3)
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

I hadn’t used the R41 that much in July so I wanted to bring her out for Sunday. Take my time preparing and shaving. Used Bergamot which is s lovely scent and the soap had excellent lathering qualities and glide.

The Razorine did a splendid job yesterday so my stubble was slightly less than usual, but the R41 knew what to do. Two passes and a touch up and we are back in the Crystal Cathedral with a glass line finish. Some light irritation where I may have overpassed. Nothing major.

The design of this razor is so efficient. This is German engineering at its finest. Even my trouble spots are no match where my Piccolo and Flatboy may require a little buffing the R41 takes no prisoners.

Excellent stay of the day!

Date​
08.08.2022 Mild Monday​
Main Focus:8/31 Days in GRUME (25.8% competed and still in but struggling)
217/220 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
All Aventus August
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:Haslinger Sandelholz
Aftershave:Floïd’s The Genuine
Balm:Nivea Sensitive
Brush:Omega Super Badger
ATG (S-N) slanted
XTG (W-E) slanted
Touch up ATG
Razor:King C. Gillette
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (1)
Rating:8/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Very mild razor and blade combination as evidenced by the four pass shave to get to decent DFS/BBS levels. I had not used my first DE in quite some time given the focus on high efficiency razors and with both the R41 and Razorine Flatboy added to the collection.

I still like the mild feeling of the KCG. It pairs better with a sharper blade. Or at least that makes it more efficient. Shave was great. Two nicks on me for too much pressure - must try harder - but no irritation post shave and no stinging from the aftershave either.

Haslinger has a subdued scent and I even think it is starting to go unscreens on me. Lather is excellent with light loading of the brush.

Hoping to see the arrival of a new blade this week.

Shave musings

It is some 8 months now that I started this hobby / addiction / pasttime called DE wet shaving. I think it is mostly bordering on addiction to be honest. I joined B&B to pay hommage to one of the emeritus members as his posts helped me immensly in getting a comfortable BBS, but the more I wander around threads and posts the more AD's I developed I did not even know I had to begin with. I have a nice rotation of razors, brushes, blades, soaps and aftershaves going where I once had 1 electric razor, no soaps, no blades, one balm and that was that. And still I think I one more razor or one more blade to try out.

So what have I learned (I am certain I will be forgetting things, but it will do for now):
  • I can get a very decent shave with all of my razors
  • I consistently achieve BBS levels of shave results with all my razors
  • I do not always need preshave, but shaves with preshave appear to be more comfortable
  • I can get along with sharp blades and not so sharp blades
  • I have few nicks, cuts and weepers and when I do I more or less know how I 'achieved' that
  • My shaving time varies from 15 minutes to 30 minutes to even 45 minutes
  • I have a fine selection of blades that I intend to broaden with a couple of more brands, but not much
  • I have preferred blades and plenty of them (by my calculations I have about 30 years worth of shaves in front of me!)
  • I am able to consistently use blades for 7 shaves and up
  • I am a steep shaver usually, but have become less dogmatic over the months - my shave angle adjusts based on what the razor tells me (audio feedback) or the area of my face prefers
All is well in Guido's shave land as far as I am concerned.

So what's next?
  • Apart from soaps and blades I want to try, I really do think I have the razors I need to get BBS shaves on a consistent basis. I have my wish list and shiny object syndrome, but I think I have a handle on this RAD thing. No need for additional razors. New handles - especially the ones Doug makes - is another story. I am s(h)aving funds to be able to finally pull the trigger - but as with all things in life - there are multiple priorities to be dealt with.
  • I want to increase my efficiency and see if I can get my shaving time down while maintaining results.
  • I want to improve my technique get nicks and weepers free shaves (i.e. make them a thing of the past).
  • I want to improve my lathering skills and get more consistency out of my lathers.
  • I want to be able to use any razor / blade I have without any irritation on my neck.
  • Also I want to investigate how my initial lathering can help in increasing my efficiency.
I will incorporate these objectives into my daily shave evaluations to measure my progress starting with my shave of the day. I later realised by the way that today is Tech Tuesday. I shaved with the Razorine Flatboy (my bad). And tomorrow will be the Flatboy as well, because I am trying to work something out.

Last edited:
Second kind of rating is the process of the shave (results in part based on definitions by @lancre in a post by @slimshavy earlier this year).

ResultScore
Clean as a whistle10
Nick (felt but not seen)9
Weeper+8
Weeper (leaks a drop of blood)7
Weeper-6
Cut (More severe form of weeper)5
Divot (removes a chunk of flesh)4
Sweeney (your last shaving mistake)3-1

Third rating is the level of comfort from the shave. I do see a correlation perhaps with blade condition here.

ResultScore
Very comfortable (including no irritation on the neck)10
Comfortable+ (including no irritation on the neck)9
Comfortable (with maybe some redness on the neck)8
Neutral+ (with some redness on the neck)7
Neutral (with redness on the neck)
Neutral - (with a red and sensitive neck)5
Uncomfortable (with a red and sensitive neck)4
Uncomfortable- (razor burn)3
Very uncomfortable (should not have shaved)2-1

And for now the fourth and final rating: efficiency of the shave. I realise that this is also affected by the pre and post routine, but I will stick with this time scale as a starter.

Time (all in from start to finish - including cleaning)Score
Less than 15 minutes10
15 minutes9
20 minutes8
25 minutes7
30 minutes6
35 minutes5
40 minutes4
45 minutes3
more than 45 minutes2-1

Let's see if I can put these new metrics to use.

Date:09.08.2022
Focused participations:9/31 Days in GRUME (29% competed and still in but struggling)
218/221 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Razorine Flatboy (72 handle)
Blade:Tiger Platinum (2)
Soap:The Alpha Men 2.0 (Aventus Clone)
Bowl:Proraso Green
Preshave:Cold splash
King C. Gillette Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Proraso Green (A/S)
Executive Man (Balm)
XTG (W-E) slanted
ATG (S-N) slanted
ATG (S-N) slanted
Efficiency:6/10 (30 minutes)
Process:7/10 (Couple of weepers)
Comfort:7/10 (Redness on the neck)
End result:8/10 (DFS+)
Notes:Second run with the Tiger in the Razorine and it started tuggy again. My jury is still out if it is the blade or not. I have noticed that the threading on the Flatboy's head is very small (small post) compared to other razors. Now I use washers for all my razors to prevent metal to metal friction, but in this case I think the washer is actually getting in the way of the tightening process. And just maybe as a result of that the Flatboy has more trouble clamping the blade down. So I will shave with the exact setup from today to see if this hypothesis holds. If not, the washer is back. These Tigers have been my most challenging blades - I generally ike them, but they are picky in razor combination. Therefore the number of shaves varies from 6-10.

All in all a fine result and the redness disappeared during the morning as well. Did not feel uncomfortable in that sense. I am still working on my relationship with the Flatboy and take my time doing it (although it took four passes this morning). Does not make it an efficient shave, but it keeps the blood where it is supposed to be: inside.

Last edited:
Shave musings

It is some 8 months now that I started this hobby / addiction / pasttime called DE wet shaving. I think it is mostly bordering on addiction to be honest. I joined B&B to pay hommage to one of the emeritus members as his posts helped me immensly in getting a comfortable BBS, but the more I wander around threads and posts the more AD's I developed I did not even know I had to begin with. I have a nice rotation of razors, brushes, blades, soaps and aftershaves going where I once had 1 electric razor, no soaps, no blades, one balm and that was that. And still I think I one more razor or one more blade to try out.

So what have I learned (I am certain I will be forgetting things, but it will do for now):
  • I can get a very decent shave with all of my razors
  • I consistently achieve BBS levels of shave results with all my razors
  • I do not always need preshave, but shaves with preshave appear to be more comfortable
  • I can get along with sharp blades and not so sharp blades
  • I have few nicks, cuts and weepers and when I do I more or less know how I 'achieved' that
  • My shaving time varies from 15 minutes to 30 minutes to even 45 minutes
  • I have a fine selection of blades that I intend to broaden with a couple of more brands, but not much
  • I have preferred blades and plenty of them (by my calculations I have about 30 years worth of shaves in front of me!)
  • I am able to consistently use blades for 7 shaves and up
  • I am a steep shaver usually, but have become less dogmatic over the months - my shave angle adjusts based on what the razor tells me (audio feedback) or the area of my face prefers
All is well in Guido's shave land as far as I am concerned.

So what's next?
  • Apart from soaps and blades I want to try, I really do think I have the razors I need to get BBS shaves on a consistent basis. I have my wish list and shiny object syndrome, but I think I have a handle on this RAD thing. No need for additional razors. New handles - especially the ones Doug makes - is another story. I am s(h)aving funds to be able to finally pull the trigger - but as with all things in life - there are multiple priorities to be dealt with.
  • I want to increase my efficiency and see if I can get my shaving time down while maintaining results.
  • I want to improve my technique get nicks and weepers free shaves (i.e. make them a thing of the past).
  • I want to improve my lathering skills and get more consistency out of my lathers.
  • I want to be able to use any razor / blade I have without any irritation on my neck.
  • Also I want to investigate how my initial lathering can help in increasing my efficiency.
I will incorporate these objectives into my daily shave evaluations to measure my progress starting with my shave of the day. I later realised by the way that today is Tech Tuesday. I shaved with the Razorine Flatboy (my bad). And tomorrow will be the Flatboy as well, because I am trying to work something out.

Guido,

Your posts 293-297 in this thread sound remarkably like my 6 year experience, with a few exceptions, especially with your future goals.

About the only differences:
1. I'm primarily a shallow shaver, but flexible.
2. I've pretty much stopped pre-shave procedures other than showering.
3. I achieve true BBS shaves only about 50% of the time,
although I usually hit the BBS/DFS border.

Guido,

Your posts 293-297 in this thread sound remarkably like my 6 year experience, with a few exceptions, especially with your future goals.

About the only differences:
1. I'm primarily a shallow shaver, but flexible.
2. I've pretty much stopped pre-shave procedures other than showering.
3. I achieve true BBS shaves only about 50% of the time,
although I usually hit the BBS/DFS border.
Dear Lancre,

Thanks! It has been an interesting journey and I like it very much. And I like reading up on more threads than I can possibly complete in my life time.

I can bring those differences down to two by the way. When I say BBS-levels, that includes BBS-/DFS+ borders you are referring to. And what I also learned was that there is no need to actually chase BBS every single time or no matter what. Comfort and smoothness are much higher on my agenda. I think regarding my future goals that if I could have consisent shaves without any irritation (besides the temporary stinging of my aftershave - which is ok(ish) ), I will be one happy bunny. Most importantly because that will mean that I have improved my technique. And I can do that with the razors I current have rather than the ones I still 'need' to get (although based on your signature I might be barking up the wrong tree here *lol*). I am also on the fence regarding pre-shave procedures. For now they work, but I have also gotten really good results without them. They work especially well somehow when I use a Tiger.

Best,

Guido.

Top Bottom