What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

26.05.22 - 26/31 (83.87% completed of GRUME in May) and still in! May is not over yet and l have already signed up for GRUME in June.

Today's shave was again with Fatip and the Tiger. Usual passes and BBS- (felt one or two stubbles here and there) as a reward. Used the Razorock Plissoft 400 again. FANTASTIC brush. Leather was runnier than I would have like, but the Fatip OC still glided well.

First tub of Proraso is almost coming to an end. I saw the bottom for the first time today, but I think it will be another two weeks before this is finally done. Proraso is in stock in house, so no worries. And so do the preshave, aftershave and balm (I like to have backups of everything). So maybe I will still decide to skip the additional CRS soap. This GRUME really got me thinking. Blades is a different story by the way.

Shavewise a really nice experience again. Looking forward to shave #5.

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade:Tiger Platinum (4)
Brush:
Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminum
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
X/ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9.0/10 BBS

Have a Great day everyone.

27.05.22 27/31 (87.10% completed and still in).

No specific need to shave today, but in true BOSC fashion we did a four pass anyway. And it’s Fatip Friday! Today’s shave with the Special Edition was great using the Gentile baseplate. KCG never lets me down so a comfortable and smooth shave with BBS performance. Slight irritation on the neck but that’s on me for diving straight in and not doing my usual preps.

Lather was good, slick and creamy. Very nice. Nice Aventus scent. Excellent start of the day!

Prep:
Cold water splash
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo Gentile SE
Blade:KCG (5)
Brush:
Omega Proraso Boar
Cream:
The AlphaMen 2.0
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Executive Man
Rating:
9.0/10 BBS

• 28/31 days in GRUME May (90.32% completed and getting ready for the final laps - and boy am I resisting purchasing goodies!)
  • 147/148 days of shaving (99.32%)

Shavewise a nice experience again. Blade felt a bit tougher than last time with one or two weepers evidencing to the feeling. Still good performance by the Tiger on its 5th run. Four passes to BBS- without touch ups. No irritation on the neck whatsoever.

Lather was a bit on the runnier side. I have come to notice that the bottom final portion of Proraso Green might behave differently as opposed to the rest of the cream? Could have been part of the roughness on the first pass. Will check tomorrow.

Prep:KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade:Tiger Platinum (5)
Brush:Omega Black Badger
Cream:Proraso Green
Bowl:Proraso
Passes:WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Rating:8.0/10 BBS

• 29/31 days in GRUME May (93.55% completed and only two days left!)
  • 148/149 days of shaving (99.32%)

Took the Tiger on its 6th run today. Smooth sailing and comfortable shave. Slightly tougher in the first pass but that was in past due to blade alignment which is always a fun topic for Fatip owners! Four passes to BBS- without touch ups. No irritation on the neck whatsoever.

Lather was excellent. This soap is a mega performer and I always use more than I actually need. Combined with the Razorock brush it is an almost unbeatable duo.

Prep:KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade:Tiger Platinum (6)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminum
Cream:The AlphaMen 2.0
Passes:WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck) and CB slide
Balm:Executive Man
Rating:9.0/10 BBS

• 30/31 days in GRUME May (96.77% completed and only one more day!)
  • 149/150 days of shaving (99.33%)

I had less time today for shaving so I decided to reduce my usual shaving ritual. I face-lathered using the Omega Proraso Boar brush and together with the AlphaMen soap that worked out wonderfully. The trick for me was to use my lathering bowl as a container for some water where I could dip my bursh in while building up my lather. Slick and smooth to start my passes.

The Dorco is a dependable blade with great performance when combined with the KCG razor. No surprises and with four passes a comfortable clean shave. No BBS - but that wasn't today's goal to begin with. No irritations. One or two weepers because of slightly too much pressure.

Prep:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:King C Gillette
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (4)
Brush:Omega Proraso Boar
Cream:The AlphaMen 2.0
Bowl:Proraso for adding water to the face lather
Rating:8.5/10 CCS/DFS-

• 31/31 days in GRUME May (100% completed, still in and we made it!!! 🎂🎂🎂🎉🎉🎉)
  • 150/151 days of shaving (99.34%)

I took less time today for shaving by means of experimenting how close my shave is with just two passes and touch ups. That worked amazingly well today. The touch up pass may have also been a full third pass but in around 15 minutes I was done including cleaning up. Nice to know for time pressure (office) days.

The Dorco did very well in its 5th run and paired up with the KCG razor it is an efficient and comfortable combination. And I got a close shave that I estimated at the start of today. I would say DFS with strong elements of BBS to be exact. I like it very much!. No surprises and no irritations. No weepers either.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:King C Gillette
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (5)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400

Touch up pass.
Rating:9.0/10 DFS/light BBS

• 1/30 days in GRUME June (0.03% completed. Still in and we are off!)
  • 151/152 days of shaving (99.34%)

New blade today that I had in my stock for a while now: Dorco Titan. As with the other Dorco I read mixed reviews. This is my first blade without platinum coating so I was curious if I would reck my face or not. Nothing of the sort. Really really smooth and comfortable first shave, where I usually find that first shaves can be a bit rougher. Four passes to a really nice BBS. One or two weepers when the blade and I were getting know each other. Nothing major.

Did break my badger brush in two. It is my first brush so it is going on somewhat 30 years. Happened before so this morning I brought out the glue gun again.

Lather was magnificent with excellent glue and residual slickness. Pleasant experience and this blade may be on its way to becoming my number one blade!

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Special Edition Gentile
Blade:Dorco Titan (1)
Brush:Omega black badger (broken)
Passes:
WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck) and CB slide
Rating:9.5/10 BBS

@Guido75 , I’m sorry for the loss of your long-time brush. Here’s believing your RazoRock Plissoft 400 will carry on for the next 40+ years.
Thanks Thom, not to worry though - I think this is the third time. I have to lather more gently I guess 😁

image.jpg

The only thing is that the glue matted the translucency of the lower part during the previous repair. But we should be good to go again. It is a rough little fellow this brush (still clueless as to the type - wasn’t into wet shaving back then as I am now).

So no, no new brush for now even though I may under GRUME rules as this is my only badger! 😅😉

Best,

Guido

My comments on your synthetic brush still stand, but happy reapplying adhesive to your Mühle brush.
Most definitely. That Plissoft is my number 1. A real lather king bar none.

And just to satisfy my OCD - it is an Omega brush, but who knows in yesteryear if those companies were working together.

And…I have also not yet forgotten our little conversation about horse hair brushes too 😄 I have one I might purchase as part of birthday presents. My first Semogue too.

And thanks for granting me at least another forty years of shaving! 🙏🏻

Cheers,

Guido

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I wasn’t suggesting you actually buy a horse hair brush. I was just mentioning them as one of the three direct-from-animal fibers more commonly used in brushes. They can be nice, but I think synthetics are much nicer.

I wasn’t suggesting you actually buy a horse hair brush. I was just mentioning them as one of the three direct-from-animal fibers more commonly used in brushes.
And I haven’t yet 😁 I appreciate your contribution here in making me more verse and knowledgeable. I don’t find it enabling if I suggested that!😊
They can be nice, but I think synthetics are much nicer.
Based on the Razorock I can only concur. Uber soft and very easy to dry as well. Not to mention the animal care aspect. I do like having a boar nearby when using harder pucks although blooming the soap does wonders too.

Best,

Guido

• 2/30 days in GRUME June (6.67% completed. Still in and showing my spine: said no to a birth quarter super adjustable 84 🫣)
  • 2/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 152/153 days of shaving (99.34%)

Second run with the Dorco Titan. Again really really smooth and comfortable like the first shave. As this is High Efficiency June I initially went for a two pass shave (WTG ATG), but during ATG I got a little cocky and I had to pay. The Fatip Gentile showed me its safety bar teeth and I got some weepers and a nick in my moustache area. Technically speaking the two pass worked like s charm. Definitely DFS levels. I completed my usual four passes asI am more into beard reduction that mowing down. A nice BBS followed.

Also tried a new soap today: TGS Pino Alpestre. Wonderful pine scented soap. Really takes me to the Alpes and mountain breezes. Lathered wonderfully as well and a little bit takes you a long way.

Repaired my badger brush yesterday and so today was with the Razorock. Really excellent brush. And as you can see from the preceding posts had a little chat with @thombrogan about the benefits of synthetic brushes. Really like them and I have my eye on one from Semogue. For a later day!

Very glad with this blade!

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Special Edition Gentile
Blade:Dorco Titan (2)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminium
Cream:TGS Pino Alpestre
Passes:

Did WTG and ATG at first but then reverted back to my usual passes.
Rating:9.5/10 BBS

Last edited:
I'm wondering: how does one manage to break a brush? (I understand you talk about braking the part you hold in your hand, not just breaking loose the knot from the rest)

I'm wondering: how does one manage to break a brush? (I understand you talk about braking the part you hold in your hand, not just breaking loose the knot from the rest)
That is exactly what happened @Ligeti - the knot is still intact and firmly seated in the upper part of the handle. But the lower part broke loose from the top part. That started when I got a new brush stand and the handle did not fit easily. I used some force in the wrong way and it popped loose. Glue and water do not necessarily go well together so from time to time the handle pops loose. But I thought I had it fixed last time...

Guido.

Maybe some type of silicone or epoxy the next time it pops loose?

~doug~
Good one Doug. I will keep that in mind for next time. Somehow I know there will be a next time!

Guido

Ps: love your LHF and GTS designed handles as well as the heavier ones - examples of pure craftsmanship!

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Good one Doug. I will keep that in mind for next time. Somehow I know there will be a next time!

Guido

Ps: love your LHF and GTS designed handles as well as the heavier ones - examples of pure craftsmanship!
Thanks! :thumbup1:

~doug~

• 3/30 days in GRUME June (10% completed and still in)
  • 3/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 153/154 days of shaving (99.34%)
2E411A5A-5073-4970-8BF4-E77C3FC3F386.jpeg

Third run with the Dorco Titan. Paired this time with the Originale baseplate. Slightly rougher shaving than before so for tomorrow I will shift to the Gentile again. Couple of minor weepers and light irritation on the neck. I completed my usual four passes with a nice BBS as a result.

TGS Pino Alpestre is a great soap with lovely scent. Good and slick lather with excellent gliding support. This will be on my list together with the aftershave.

KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Special Edition Originale
Blade:Dorco Titan (3)
Brush:Omega Proraso Boar
Cream:TGS Pino Alpestre
Passes:
Rating:8.0/10 BBS

Top Bottom