What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

16.05.22 - 16/31 (51.6% completed) and still in. We have crossed the midway point!

Prep:
KCG Fash Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo Gentile
Brush:
Razorock 400 Plissoft
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Blade:
Tiger Platinum (2)
Passes:
WTG - CB Slide and Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
ATG - Slightly slanted (N-S and SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (W-E horizontal on the neck)

And random strokes during touch up.
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9/10 DFS
Comments:It is a mild blade for sure. More buffing required than usual. Yet also more comfortable than yesterday - especially after realigning the blade a bit. I need to check my shave journal to verify earlier experiences with the Tiger. Maybe open comb is better suited for this blade. Let’s say I need to work on our relationship a bit more.

Have a very good day everyone!

Thanks Thom! It felt that way too during copying and pasting! And fortunately still lots to learn! And so much more razors to test and try (but I try to keep my RAD at bay!). And blades too for that matter. I think I have found my razor and I seem to have found my blade(s) as well for now. So focus is on maintaining and growing technique.

Very excellent archiving, @Guido75 ! Seeing your progress over the past few months in a manner of minutes has been incredible. Also, you have more brushes than I realized. Very cool!
As far as brushes go, I think you are overselling the 'more' there :biggrin1: - there is three in all currently. My OCD made sure it is one of each kind - so one badger, one board and one synthetic.

I am developing a liking to more (and more and more and more) soaps, aftershaves and balms. Next on the list is getting a puck of MWF and Floïd The Genuine.

Cheers,

Guido.

Prep:
KCG Fash Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Special Edition Gentile
Brush:
Omega Proraso Boar
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Blade:
KCG (1)
Passes:
WTG - Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
ATG - Slightly slanted (N-S and SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (W-E horizontal on the neck)
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9/10 BBS
The KCG blade is still my favorite blade at the moment. Ever so smooth and very comfortable. And very sharp with two nicks to boot. Took more passes on my trouble areas which I did not have with both the Dorco or the Tiger - interesting observation.

And credit where credit is due - I used @BobbyB ’s table structure today as I like it (my OCD for my SOTD posts finally got the better of me).
Thanks for your kind words!

I see now: Ω Proraso Boar, Ω Black/Pure Badger, RazoRock 400 Plissoft. No horse? 🤪 I kid! I kid!
They have a word for that you know….enabler!! 😂😁👍🏻 In all honesty that is totally off my radar. For now I will stick with these three tastes. Same with vintage or not - I like vintage, but I also like to have something brand new rather than something that has been on other gent’s faces for decades. With one exception: if I can get a brith quarter Gillette Super Speed or Black beauty I would be in. And adjustable too - I think I should own one but have not yet justified its acquisition.

Love your commitment in reading these posts of some random guy from the Netherlands!

And off topic: I think I may apply for the Excalibur Club - blade mileage is a favourite subject of mine.

Cheers,

Guido

They have a word for that you know….enabler!! 😂😁👍🏻 In all honesty that is totally off my radar. For now I will stick with these three tastes. Same with vintage or not - I like vintage, but I also like to have something brand new rather than something that has been on other gent’s faces for decades. With one exception: if I can get a brith quarter Gillette Super Speed or Black beauty I would be in. And adjustable too - I think I should own one but have not yet justified its acquisition.

Love your commitment in reading these posts of some random guy from the Netherlands!

And off topic: I think I may apply for the Excalibur Club - blade mileage is a favourite subject of mine.

Cheers,

Guido
You did make me look! A Semogue horse hair starter is available from one of the local internet shops 😬😶.

Still in GRUME 😅

Guido

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
You’re a specific Netherlander, @Guido75 ! I don’t know which one, but we’re here to discuss the joys of dewhiskering.

I don’t think a horse brush would match the brushes you already own.

17.05.22 - 17/31 (54.84% completed of GRUME in May) and still in. Smooth sailing to the finish line?!

Prep:
KCG Fash Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC Special Edition
Brush:
Omega Proraso Boar
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Blade:
Tiger Platinum (3)
Passes:
ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
8.5/10 DFS
Comments:The shave was more comfortable than yesterday - although the WTG pas remains tuggish. Earlier experiences were smoother. Could this be a QC issue? There was less glue on the blade I recall as opposed to the earlier blades. I need to check my shave journal to verify earlier experiences with the Tiger. Somehow I get the feeling that this blade does not take sliding strokes that will either. Straight forward seems to work best as is also enhances buffing which I need with this blade as well. Or perhaps I damaged the edge during the first run in the KCG. My last time with the Tiger was rough too and that stint started with the KCG as well. Just saying (or there is NO correlation whatsoever!).

18.05.22 - 18/31 (58.06% completed of GRUME in May) and still in.

Prep:
KCG Fash Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Blade:Tiger Platinum (4)
Brush:
Omega Black Badger
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
X/ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
8.5/10 CCS
Comments:The Tiger performed ok on its last shave. I may have been able to push it to 5, but I felt slightly more tugging on the first pass than I did yesterday. I decided to retire the blade. Tomorrow will be with a new Tiger straight in the Fatip and I will experiment with corking the blade to see if that makes a difference.

Third pass was with a lot of buffing strokes and turned out to be today's money shot in terms of increased smoothness.

All in all a decent shave with CCS / DFS levels of performance.

19.05.22 - 19/31 (61.29% completed of GRUME in May) and still in.

Prep:
KCG Fash Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Blade:Tiger Platinum (1)
Brush:
Omega Black Badger
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
10/10 DFS+ or BBS-
Comments:So as mentioned yesterday I loaded the Fatip with a new Tiger blade and I corked the blade beofre loading as well. I kept all things constant and the first pass WTG was significantly more comfortable than last time. Also a lot more efficient. I could really feel the blade cut through the stubble. Two passes resulted in SAS and three passes could have been the final destination, but I am apparently programmed for 4 passes resulting in DFS and BBS- with no nicks, cuts or irritations. This is the Tiger blade that I liked and made me purchase it in bulk.

I have loaded the Fatip with a new Tiger blade for tomorrow to see if it was the corking that did the trick or not.

20.05.22 - 20/31 (64.52% completed of GRUME in May) and still in.

Today's shave continued the experiment of yesterday to see if loading the Tiger straight into the Fatip would help even without corking the blade. Actually, in comparison, corking did nothing much in terms of blade performance. But this Tiger Platinum is best put to use in a razor that clamps it down pretty good, which is what the Fatip is known for besides its aggressiveness. You have to tame the Tiger so to speak! In hindsight in the KCG razor there is too much blade flexibility causing the blade to chatter whilst shaving. I have coarse stubbles so that micro-damages the blade (at least that is my assumption) making the shave less comfortable. I did not experience that today at all. Lather was slightly runny but in all fairness that made Gillette Sliding and CB Shaves Sliding even easier to perform. This is the experience I had earlier with the Tiger and thankfully my faith in the blade is restored (lucky for my as I have two full packs of 100 blades each).

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade:Tiger Platinum (1)
Brush:
Omega Black Badger
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
11/10 BBS

Have a Great day everyone.

21.05.22 - 21/31 (67.74% completed for GRUME in May and still in). We are two thirds underway.

Today’s shave was ok and comfortable. There was really NO need to shave so I did anyway. Cut back on the prep somewhat and use the AlphaMen 2.0 soap which produces a thick rich lather with a lovely Creed Aventus scent to it. That provided the razor with a good glide.

I did luck out in the nicks department on my chin, but that was all due to too much pressure and wanting to do it too quickly. Nothing major and I kept the alum at bay to let the AS do the work which it did. So points deducted for that. Did not particularly aim for BBS and yet ended up with one instead.

Overall a nice weekend shave with a great razor/blade combo. Great start of the day!

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Razor:
King C Gillette
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (1)
Brush:
Omega Proraso Boar
Cream:
the AlphaMen 2.0
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Executive Man
Rating:
8.5/10 DFS/BBS

Have a Great Saturday everyone.

22.05.22 Day 22 of 31 of GRUME in May and still in (70.96% completed).

Today’s shave started out nice. Second run with the Dorco in the KCG. And I really like this blade. I am almost sure that the Dorco Titan has similar performance, so that is definitely on my buying list.

After the initial stroke my cockiness took the helm and apparently decided to do a continuous stroke from cheek right down the neck. I have seen lads do that in videos sometimes. But let’s just say that the design of my jawbone and the angle at which I was approaching were not in sync. Snap! And the Dorco showed its teeth resulting in an unpleasant cut. And for some even more bizarre reason the same type of cut happened on the other side as well. So at least I am walking around synchronised 😁. Definitely needed to bring out the alum block in the first time for ages.

The rest of the shave was ok again. With just a tad bit of too much pressure. And it even stang during relathering. Lathering itself was excellent. This soap is wonderful and very economical in usage too. And that brush! Man! I affectionately call it the Lather King but it is! I could have relathered into eternity.

Prep:
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
King C Gillette
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (2)
Brush:
Razorock Plissoft 400
Cream:
the AlphaMen 2.0
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Executive Man
Rating:
7.5/10 DFS with BBS-

Have a Great Sunday everyone!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Please heal quickly, @Guido75 ! It is my hope your Dorco behaves in future shaves and that you are able to maintain restraint from harmful shaving practices as well.

Thanks Thom @thombrogan. But this was all on me. My name is not CB Shaves but Guido so stick to the technique and execution I know. And for tomorrow extra careful on this spot when shaving again. That blade continues to amaze me. I think I will give it go for the Excalibur Club.

Cheers and thanks for your support,

Guido

23.05.22 - day 23/31 in GRUME for May (74.19% completed and still in).

After yesterday I went a little slower on the jaw bones. And kept my slides in sync! Good shave. What sometimes puzzles me still is that the about of stubble is not in proportion to the number of passes. So today I had few stubble, still a four pass shave. Much stubble, same deal.

All in all great performance by the Dorco. Very comfortable shave.

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
King C Gillette
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (3)
Brush:
Omega Black Badger
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
8.5/10 DFS with BBS-

Make today amazing everyone!

24.05.22 - 24/31 (77.42% completed of GRUME in May) and still in! Entering the final stretch!

Today's shave continued the experiment with the Tiger and the Fatip. This was the uncorked blade by the way. I did not specifically follow my growth pattern during the WTG pass and did a Gillette Slide from left to right where I usually do right to left first. Skipped the CB Slide this time to see if I could feel the difference. And as I stated before, my WTG pattern appears to be working in both diagonals evenly - at least I am having a very hard time spotting the difference. Although NW-SE has some elements of ATG in it or at least XTG. So I manouvered around a bit. Two passes and I was smooth. Three passes was easily DFS and the fourth pass I did was BBS. Maybe a very tiny part BBS- but in all a really pleasant and great shave. In comparison to the Dorco blade I do notice (at least for today) that with the Tiger my stubble is growing back at a faster rate (i.e. the Tiger is less close of a shave than the Dorco). With the Dorco (in the KCG) I had two mornings where I did not have to shave necessarily.

The Omega Proraso Boar is a great brush that really helps to build the lather even when it is somewhat runny in the beginning. And at a fair price point at that.

Proraso is still a great cream to use, especially in combination with the preshave, aftershave and balm. I have Cyril R Salter on my purchase list when GRUME is over next week.

Really nice experience today and looking forward to tomorrow's shave with basically the same line up as today.

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade:Tiger Platinum (2)
Brush:
Omega Black Badger
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9.5/10 BBS

25.05.22 - 25/31 (80.65% completed of GRUME in May) and still in! Man, we are close! And man is it hard sometimes. Imagine seeing a Gillette 1948 Aristocrat Junior at your local shaving shop for €70 and being in GRUME! Ouch!

Today's shave was again with the Tiger and the Fatip (sounds like a movie almost). Returned to my usual shaving passes in accordance with my growth pattern starting from the WTG pass. Two and a half passes later and I was smooth. After the fourth pass BBS. Again I notice that with the Tiger my stubble is growing back at a faster rate (not in full but around five there is some sort of five o'clock shadow developing - that said, it is now 9 PM my time and I am still at SAS).

The Razorock Plissoft 400 is my best brush and a lather king in my book. Very soft to the face, simply superb. Easy to clean and easy to dry as well.

Proraso is my current go to cream - dependable and always there to do the job. And so do the preshave, aftershave and balm. SO do I really need the Cyril R Salter after GRUME is over next week? In actuality no I don't - GRUME has taught me that much. The Gillette...hmmm...again the real answer is no, but whoah! The condition is excellent and with original case (as far as I can tell from the Mr Razor website for reference material).

Shavewise a really nice experience again. Looking forward to shave #4.

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC
Blade:Tiger Platinum (3)
Brush:
Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminum
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9.5/10 BBS

Top Bottom